Author Topic: winchester legacy interest  (Read 565 times)

Offline gulfdaddy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
winchester legacy interest
« on: February 10, 2009, 10:54:31 AM »
I have not had the opportunity to hold one but looking at the pictures of the legacy just gets me all hot and bothered.  I have not settled on a caliber yet, likely 30-30. Any input on this weapon is appreciated.  Thanks, Gary

Offline crash87

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
Re: winchester legacy interest
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 05:28:08 AM »
When Winchester brought out there vast array of levers in their 2006 catalog, I along with thousands of others were awe struck. Finally Winchesters we longed for, from the good 'ol days, could be purchased at a fraction of the cost of their "collectable" cousins and be shot instead of looked at. To bad it was just a bad joke on us, from from the people who brought us Winchester, as they decided to close it's door on us forever. No, we will not get, what was once, what we wanted, instead we will get what "They' think we will buy. Apparently the '94 isn't what they think want.                                             I have been looking for a 30-30WCF for quite some time. My tastes in levers tend to change somewhat in aesthetics but the basic love of the lever is engrained in my psyche. I will take "only" a Marlin 336A, 24" barrel/half mag. I will take "any" Winchester '94! So I have been looking for any of each, BUT, it's goota be priced right. Remeber when '94's could be had at reasonable prices? While I would prefer a rifle over a carbine, a carbine would suffice. My plan was to find a project gun and turn it into my idea of what I would like in a 94. Along the lines of the 336A or the "Legacy".                      A month ago I was at my local chain store, they call themselves a foremost outfitter, I call them........ well forget that. Anyway, afterlooking at about 1/2 dozen 94's and one 336A, with prices "not to bad", but the condition of the rifles, terrible for price, I spyed a Legacy. ( last week I was back there for a look. They had what they called a gun show going on. Mostly had SXS shotguns with names I could'nt pronounce. What was interesting though, the '94's I looked at earlier in the month, prices went up between $30 and $50.) $399 and it was mine.
             In the 2006 wish book (wish they'd still be here) they call it the Original Legacy, 30-30 ,24" round barrel, semi-pistol grip stock, sugg. retail, (pardon me while I wipe a tear) $497.00. This rifle, I like saying that, as opposed to carbine, has been carried very little and fired even less. Deep dark straight grained walnut on the butstock flowing into some figure on the forend. Cut checkering, deep and dark blueing, swinging up to the shoulder like a carbine never will. I replaced the open rear with a A.O. ghost ring peep, shooting at 100yds with 170 gr Federal ammo gave me a 4" 5 shot group albiet 8" high. I am waiting delivery of a bullet mold from L.B.T. at which time the barrel will be lapped and load devolopment will begin, and of course, point of aim will be adjusted accordingly.        
       Don't be like me and wait 30+ years to get yourself a '94, although I did come across a good number of levers in the mean time, some even came home with me. Crash87