Author Topic: Question for those who wear glasses  (Read 997 times)

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Question for those who wear glasses
« on: November 30, 2008, 10:51:48 AM »
My Minox binocs have twist type eye cups for use with glasses but I always push my glasses up on my head and use the binocs with the eye cups out.  If I need to pick up a rifle, it doesn't matter whether I have my glasses on or pushed up.  I love the binocs.

If you enjoy your binocs while wearing glasses (bifocals), what type binocs do you use?  Does light creap in behind your glasses lens?  I've always found the best image quality without my glasses.

Offline nodlenor

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Re: Question for those who wear glasses
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 02:06:21 PM »
I've never found a pair of binos that I can use with my glasses on. I use a neck strap to hold my glasses while I look through my binos.
Self government without self discipline will not work; Paul Harvey

Offline Mike Britton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 04:18:08 PM »
I've never found a pair of binos that I can use with my glasses on. I use a neck strap to hold my glasses while I look through my binos.
Same here. I'm nearsighted, minus 450- minus 525, and if I keep my glasses in place, not only do I get backlight, I can't focus the binocs.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"   George Orwell
Life member NRA, Life member TSRA
Crabby conservative old fart

Offline Cement Man

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 04:30:42 PM »
Same with me.  No matter what binocs I have bought with eyecups and eye relief that are supposed to work with glasses, I always end up taking the glasses off to get a fuller, clearer view that I can maintain comfortably for a period of time.
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.

Offline scsam

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 04:16:00 AM »
I recently bought a pair of Leupold Yosemite 8X30's with twist-down eyecups just like Charles P's.  They're the first binos I've ever used that I can actually see through while wearing my glasses.  When looking through them, I have my index fingers on the top of the eyecups and resting against my forehead to keep the binos steady & focus with my ring fingers.  Not perfect, but it works.  I cant' quite see the full image, but what I do see is clear & sharp.

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 04:23:02 AM »
I am lucky on this as the magnification of the binoc's cures the near sightedness in my right eye. I have not left my glasses laying out there on the ground...Yet.

Offline moony

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 10:13:26 AM »
I got a good deal on a pair of Alpen 8x42 binocs a couple of years ago and these are the best ones I've used w/ glasses on, probably due to the longer eye relief and them being "wide angle".

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 12:24:01 PM »
I have a B&L Discoverer 7x42 I use mostly with my glasses on. They work pretty well for me. If I'm going to do some more serious glassing I sometimes remove my glasses and twist the eye cups up for slightly more definition.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 01:53:51 PM »
The Nikon Monarch's work great with glasses.
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline ZRS-8x42

• Zen-Ray Optics
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 07:26:46 PM »
A lower magnification binoculars has more generous eyerelief than its higher powered counterpart (8x vs 10x).  If the eyerelief is marginal, you may not get full field of view even with the eyecups twisted down, while wearing glasses.
Charles

Zen-Ray Optics
http://www.zen-ray.com/store

Offline OLDHandgunner

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 01:11:37 AM »
The Nikon Monarch's work great with glasses.

I wear glasses ( bifocals ) and I've tried alot of different makes of bi-noc's ( cheap & expensive ) and the Nikon Monarch ATB work the best for me also. Mine are 8x42.

Offline Val

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 03:04:40 AM »
I have a set of Leupols Wind River Cascades in 10X30 and have beeb usinf them for years wearing my bifocal glasses. I can glass all day with these binocs. The key is the long eyerelief that these binocs have.
Hunting and fishing are not matters of life or death. They are much more important than that.

Offline cbshunter

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 02:03:12 PM »
I haven't had any success with my binoculars when I wear glasses. But I like to take them off anyway.