Author Topic: auto or revolver  (Read 889 times)

Offline funshooter2

• Trade Count: (0)
auto or revolver
« on: February 21, 2009, 04:17:01 AM »
I've been thinking that I might get away from the semi-auto pistols for ccw & go to revolvers. One reason for this is that I grew up shooting revolvers & am a little better with them. They do have fewer round capacity than the pistol & may be a little more difficult to conseal. 

Well, I received a new problem the 27th of Jan, in the form of wrecking my vehicle on the ice here. My left arm was broken and will be in a cast for a couple of months. Likely won't have much strength back in it until late summer.  I find that I cannot work the slide on any of my semi's. Fortunately, I do have a couple revolvers for ccw on hand. I can work them fine. So for this summer, I guess my decision has been made for me.

I would advise those who carry only autos to consider practising use of one hand drills before they need it. If I had not had the revolvers on hand, I would be unarmed now, due to lack of funds (loss of income, totalled truck, ongoing bills, ect)  after the injury.  :'(

Offline slim rem 7

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: auto or revolver
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 12:06:43 PM »
 if im trying to get a person to carry and i know they really won t
practice or put much time in .. im always going to pointum toward a revolver..
 sometimes i carry a keltec p3at but only because i know the gun and how to make it operate dependably..
 if  they are semi auto determined then im directing them toward sig 225 226... never owned a more dependable firearm..
  most time im carrying an S&W snub. model 60..

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 01:27:33 PM »
Hey hope you are feeling better.
Look on the bright side while you have your arm in a sling just stick the revolver in the sling and hide it there.    :o
Again Hope you are feeling better.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 01:16:30 AM »
Sorry to hear about the arm and accident, but there are pistols and handling techniques that allow one handed use. 

Some Beretta pistols in calibers from 22lr to 380acp have a 'tip-up' barrel design that allows a round to be inserted into the chamber without racking the slide.

The Army taught me to reload a 1911 with one hand, either by using the holster to rack the slide or by using clenched knees to hold the slide firmly while racking the frame.  You have to practice this technique.  There are also other techniques you can practice with smaller caliber handguns that will have the same effect; just gotta practice.  In the interim, use the revolver.  jmtcw.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 10:18:33 AM »
I know about those accidents.........hope you are better by now.

I have always thought the revolver is an excellent choice for a lot of people, and in you case it will surely fill the bill.  go down and read a previous post of mine "Best CCW for you and your wife."  It was not intended to defame the auto pistol, but to highlight the problems associated with an auto and the lack of trainig and experience for some to master one.  I guess I should have also included persons with a physical handicap as well.

Offline oldfart

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 01:39:15 PM »
i use a revolver, the main reason is i'm on a fixed income and can't afford a exspensive gun, and i've found the lower cost revolvers (i shoot a charter arms and its a great shooter) do tend to shoot better and are more reliable than the lower cost auto's ( such as cobra, and jeminez ). now hi point makes a fair auto, i've owned several in the past and they have all shot well, but they have a strong slide spring and are heavy for everyday carry. besides i got my charter for $275 otd, and hi points are now $200 otd around here, so a revolver for me is the better way to go.

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 09:21:10 AM »
I often carry either a 2.5" 19 or a 3" 66. Sometimes even a 4" 57 or 10. Ain't nothing wrong with wheelguns. They work just fine.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 10:03:13 AM »
  Revolver. Despite the increased ammunition capacity that most autos have, which IMHO, is the only plus for an auto, when given the choice I will always choose the wheelgun.

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 11:04:06 AM »
One good hit with a .357 kinda negates the need for 15 follow up shots.  ;D
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."