Author Topic: Stolen tree stands and equipment...  (Read 2460 times)

Offline IronKnees

• IronKnees
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
    • HANDLOADING FOR HUNTING
Stolen tree stands and equipment...
« on: June 14, 2003, 08:34:21 AM »
I noticed in a thread on my own forums where a friend of mine has mentioned having problems with tree stands being stolen from his hunting area... his own land in this case. The woods where I hunt has had this problem in the past, albeit farther east from where I hunt, but I have never had it happen to me... However, I have caught trespassers/poachers on my game camera, and have always been a bit worried about having my ladder stands out there for as long as they are. Have any of you guys had equipment stolen over the years?
I want to finish well
I want to end this race
Still leaning on HIS AMAZING GRACE

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2003, 09:35:57 AM »
Nope.  I hunt on private. coorporate and state/federal land but do not use ladder stands.  Since screw in steps are illegal (off of private land) I use  regular treestands and the 3-4 piece climbing sticks.  I put branches in the sticks to break their out line and I have either chain or cable padlocked to my stands and the tree.  If someone really wanted them that bad they could use bolt cutters or cut the tree down, but in 20 years of using this method I have never lost anything.
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline flatlander

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2003, 02:18:01 AM »
I lost a tree stand that was locked to a tree on public land one year. I'm not surprised it is happening more as public land gets more use, but I still am disappointed that fellow hunters can do this to each other. Unfortunately you have that sort showing up in all areas of society. I have minimized my public land hunting due to some of the things that I have seen people do out there. Poaching out of season is another thing that seems to be running rampant these days.

Offline DennisB

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2003, 05:27:48 PM »
Hi, Dave:

I haven't hunted the public spots down here in a few years, where tree/permanent stands aren't allowed.  It seems, though, that there's a kind of mindset among some (not all!) folks local to an area that that land is their own private lease regardless of what the state and its signs may say.  A fellow I used to work with was once invited to leave a public hunting parking area by some locals.  Said it was their property, and if he knew what was pointed at him (implying another guy in their truck had him covered) he'd get out and not come back.  Kind of an ugly story, but not the norm.   Not sure how I'd have handled that, except that it would not have ended there...
Dennis In Ft Worth

Offline Rusty

Stands in Public Lands
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2003, 03:57:14 AM »
If the stand is in public land, maybe a dogooder or even a F & G game officer could/would take it down.  If a F & G officer saw it, he would probably be required by law to take it down.

Offline daddywpb

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2003, 12:01:41 PM »
I had a ladder stand stolen from public land last season. Unfortunately, it's the only place we have to hunt. I didn't even have it locked up - I guess it never crossed my mind that someone would take it. I can't use a climber because my daughter goes with me, so we have a two person ladder. It's just not feasible to keep taking it out with me every time, so this season I'll lock it up and hope for the best. It will be set up back in the woods, hopefully in a place where not too many people will be walking by. It's a shame that a fellow hunter would do that to someone else.

Offline volshooter

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2003, 09:45:02 AM »
We usally leave our Summit tree stands when hunting public land. We cable them up the day before so we wont make so much noise the morning of the hunt. We've never had one get gone on public land. We have had some problems on privately held land. A few years ago someone took the trouble to take an entension ladder in and dissasemble dad's tree stand from about 20 feet up. (the ladder foot marks were easy to see) We had left it up there and removed the screw in climbers on the way down because it was gonna be a few days before we got back. Someone took the trouble to completly take the stand apart and return it to a "out of the box" look. (flat) They took a quiver/arrows/broadheads and some assorted gear. They also left a note saying we were on their land and to get off, unsigned of course. We were on the right property (100% sure) The next day someone tried to cut the cable off of my tree stand and had removed about 1/8 mile of trail "bright eyes" and flagging tape. I printed out a letter to whomever and laminated it, and wired it to the tree with my stand. Not only that we had official county tax maps and visited all of the surrounding property owners to look for the offender. No one ever confessed but one guy who had a 3/4 acre lot acted funny and said his son had a stand stole there last year. When we produced written permission slips for hunting and pointed out the land parcel in question he got to acting real funny claiming he didn't have to have permission to hunt it. Well dipstick, yeah you do because it's posted and state law requires written permission to be carried at all time, when on the land. We left our stands there all season and my open invation (my phone #, name and address included, wired to several trees) to the theif was never acted on and we had no more trouble. I'm pretty sure we had the right guy. Our local law enforcement suggested we actually watch and put the grab on the buttwipe. He said to hold him and be willing to press charges when he would come and arrest him for theft. Dang shame no one ever came back to play.
Rick :)

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2003, 02:55:09 AM »
In MD you are not allowed to leave a tree stand or make a permanent stand on public property with out a permit (they will not give you one unless you are disabled) I was wondering what they do when they find a stand left  so I asked  a ranger. His answer was if it were a portable stand, they would confiscate them and if it was a permanent stand they would come back several times a day to get the person using it a ticket and make them take it apart.

Some other reasons that someone may take a tree stand:

Our very good friends, the anti-hunters they will do what ever it takes to disrupt us hunting. If they see markers or stands, they will take them and remove all markers

Kid love exploring the woods, if they see a tree stand they will take it and use it as a fort not meaning to do any harm.

And lets take the guy volshooter was talking about. Some people have been hunting the same land for many many years and feel it is their personal hunting land no matter who owns it or has permission to hunt it. If they see the markers or stands, they will remove them to send a message to the “trespassers” that they are not welcome.

When hunting on public land I use a climbing stand and pack it in and out every day. The stand is a summit extream it is light quiet and fast to set up so I do not mind setting it up every morning. If I am hunting on private land, I normally set up several stands and chain them all to the tree with a very heavy chain and a harden lock. I have not had a stand stolen before (knock on wood) but I did some one using my ladder stand one time he was nice when I told him it was mine and told him where to look to find my name and address on it. I was nice enough to let him use it for the few days he was hunting

Offline Whodaheck99

Stolen tree stand and equipment
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2003, 05:09:50 AM »
Hi there, I hunt in PA, on private land. I had 2 tree stands, and 2 set of climbing stick. Not including bow hanger, etc. I hunt on very small lots. Most of them no more then 6 to 7 acres. I think it is young kids, but I feel sorry if I catch one. I feel alot better know, I had to vent.  Steve.

Offline Frog123

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2003, 09:21:48 PM »
Yeah, My brother and I both have had stands stolen on public property. I was even sitting in a ladder stand that I had cable chained to a tree when some hill jack came up and told me that I was trespassing on private land and sitting in his stand. When I pointed out the tag riveted to the rung that had my name and address printed on it he proceeded to call me a few expletives walk about thirty or so yards out and urinate in front of the stand. That same week my brother had a climbing stand stolen and a tire flattened while hunting in the same area. Wilamette PHA, Hickman Co, Tenn.

I spoke to a Warden one time who made the comment that hunters "almost invite people to steal their property" Example, about ten years ago State Wildlife Officers stopped a van one night at Land Between the Lakes. It was on a Saturday night, hunting season had started that day. The wardens said the occupants were observed shining a light from the van into the woods. Thinking that they were possibly dealing with poachers the van was searched.  Upon searching the van six portable stands were discovered. The two men admitted to stealing the stands then selling them in the classifieds or to pawn shops. They confessed to riding around the hunting area during the day making note of where vehicles were parked then comming back at night and searching for the reflective trail tacks along the road leading them back to the treestands.  Of the six stands recovered only one was marked with the owners name. The stands were eventually returned to their owners since at this particular area hunters were required to sign in and out each day. This was one of the few instances where stands were recovered.  

Frog
Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time....ES

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2003, 03:33:23 PM »
I had a ladder stand stolen lfrom private property last year. I had set it out two years ago, and maybe moved it twice. My buddy came to me at work and asked if I had taken down my stand and taken it home. I said "No." and he asked if I was kidding. I wasn't, and he then broke the news to me.
It wasn't a huge financial loss, but the idea of someone just stealing it is irritating. It kinda makes me hope whoever did it falls out this season and breaks some of their anatomy, as well as their gear.
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline volshooter

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2003, 10:57:08 AM »
There are some real dipsticks hunting in TN for sure. A few years ago we were going to hunt Oak Ridge. Problem is that there is only 1 scouting day for each hunt. We scouted from noon till sunset and marked our spots on the way out. I usally pick at least 3 locations/trees in the same area. Next morning 2 hours before sunrise I followed my bright eyes in and guess what...... I found a hunter in all 3 of the trees I had marked. These jackwads had not scouted but stumbled on my trail and didn't even thank me for the spots. Words were exchanged you bet. They failed to see any deer and left before noon, I killed that evening from one of those same trees.
Last year....get this, at AEDC wild life management area, the draw tag plainly says NO SCOUTING ON HUNT DATES. It was a Fri, Sat, Sun hunt so we went down on Thursday to scout and set up. I was set up in a 40 yard wide strip of hardwoods that ran about 1/2 mile between two pine thickets. Friday evening sure as rain, here come a guy straight through that strip, still in his work clothes, sweaty, smoking a cig and moving fast. I wistled him stop when he got to my tree and asked "what the **** are you doing???? He said he didn't have time to scout Thursday so he was gonna take pot luck. I asked him if he had passed two of my hunting party members about 300 and 400 yards up and he said yep. I aked him if they had told him that there were 3 more of us set up in the same strip, he said yep. Then I got mad and started taking my Tree Lounge towards the ground so I could get more personal with this bozo. He was about my size but didn't hang around long enough for me to get down. The 2 others he'd passed said he'd left in a quick straight line.
  I get high and stay still and quiet. I had a guy sit under me once on the ground. I let him sit for 2 or 3 minutes and then let him know I was there. This jerk wad couldn't see the (500 min. square inches) blaze orange vest and hat I was wearing cause he didn't look. ( he was wearing full camo, no safety orange and it was gun season) While apologizing I guessed his IQ was about his boot size.
Last one.  Once during archery season, a guy came right up to dad in his tree about an hour before daylight eventhough dad wavied him off with his flashligt. He asked dad if he was gonna hunt here all day and dad said yes. Guy walks away in the dark, but dad can hear him setting up his stand somewher close by. (dad cannot hear very well) Sun comes up and dad sees this guy about 50 FEET from him sitting in a tree facing dad. Dad's a DAV and told him to get, he sat there like a coon up a tree so dad called me on the FR radios we use. When I promised this intruder that dad was not going to put that Bear super in his keester and I wouldn't  stomp it dry he left. These folks aint hunters, we got names for them but this is a family setting, and I don't want to show my sometimes crude side.
Guys, if you see me coming your way in the dark, just flash your light at me a few times and I will respect your area, even if I have to go around the ridge and come in from the back side. Yes I will still come in because I have scouted that area and my stand is all ready there, you'd know that if you had scouted.
Rick :D

Offline SingleShotShorty

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2003, 08:13:24 AM »
I have had several loc on type stands stolen some of them locked to the tree. In fact I had one expensive stand that was locked to a tree with heavy chain and a pad lock. they simply cut the top of thee off and took the tree stand and all the screw in steps.
Old Age and Treachery Will Alway's Overcome
Youth and Skill.

Offline Hound_Dog55

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2003, 01:15:12 AM »
I never leave anything in the woods, public or private. Cant afford to replace the things I have saved money to buy.

Offline volshooter

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2003, 01:37:28 AM »
I wish I could too Dog55 but I'm not able to tote a fully loaded Tree Lounge and my gear up them ridges every day. To far to climb them ridges at my age without sweating and near heart attacks. I hunt on lease land now. We have 2 miles of road frontage and if some dip stick wants to climb that high he can have it. We have made changes though, we take our stands in a day or two before the hunt on 4 wheelers. The group I hunt with ranges from 45-67 and half are disabled. Property is well posted and except for the rare occasion, nobody bothers anything.
Rick :D

Offline Hound_Dog55

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2003, 01:10:43 AM »
I also hunt on a lease. We have signs posted in plain view but have seen an increase in people just walking or driving past them. Buddy of mine was scouting an area and heard a God awful noise from down the ridge. He went to see what was going on and found a jeep trying to navigate a four wheeler trail! The man had busted his radiator and twisted the front driveshaft out. When asked if he saw the signs, he replied that he had logged the area 20 something years ago and thought it would be OK. This has nothing to do with the original topic of this thread but I thought it was an interesting story for the ones who hunt on private posted leases.

Offline Quadzillabill

Sad, but true...
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2003, 01:26:15 AM »
When I got back into hunting about 10 years ago I was a guest at my Uncle's camp which consisted of about 500 acres of leased land - all completely posted.  I ended up with a great blind in an area that had been clear cut the year before on the edge of a swamp.  I shot a 6-point opening morning while sitting on my green/swiveling/insulated/with a backrest seat.  

I just left my bino's, calls, knife and food so I didn't have to haul it in everyday.  I used that stand the next few days and then came back to find footprints leading right to/from my stand from the road, and the whole setup was gone.   :x

I'm sure someone saw me hunting that spot across the somewhat open field, and decided they'd give it a try.  Its that same kind of person who wouldn't hesitate to steal another hunter's stuff.   I hope he never shoots another deer.

It did give me an excuse to go out and buy nice new stuff, though.   :wink:

Offline Ron T.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2003, 09:05:16 AM »
Heyyyyy Dave...

I won't use another hunter's tree stand, let alone steal it.

But those that steal another hunter's tree stand are admitting the value of the stand is what they see as THEIR own self-worth... and they are admitting, by their act, that they are NOT honorable.

What a shame that they are willing to "sell" their honor and integrity for so little, eh?      :(

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."  - Thomas Jefferson

Offline ghostZ

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2003, 10:13:33 AM »
I hunt on my father's land.  There are quite a few other hunters in the area but none on our property.  Up until last year I hadn't hunted out there in a few years and went out to set a stand up.  I know the woods really well and already had the tree picked out.  Get out there and there is a store bought stand in the tree with a 2x4 ladder resting on the tree.  We took the ladder from the stand down and threw it in some brush next to the stand.  I set my stand up about 50 yards away and opening day no one used that other stand.  For the rest of the season no one that I saw  used it.  

A few weeks ago I went out to my stand to make sure my shooting lines were still okay as well as the stand.  The other stand was still up and the ladder still sat in the brush.  We took the stand...dad plans to use it this year in a different tree.  

Was this stealing someone's stand?

Offline volshooter

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2003, 11:11:09 AM »
A stand on your propery belongs to you unless you gave permission. An ethicial hunter will not knowingly set up on land without permission.
Rick

Offline dakotashooter2

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2003, 06:59:48 AM »
More likely falls under the category of "unclaimed property". May have been left or lost from the year before. I have about 10 homemade hanging stands that stay up all season and often "lose" one for a year or two before I find it again. Now that I use a GPS that won't happen. This is just another reason to ask the property owner for permission before hunting.
Just another worthless opinion!!

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2003, 12:59:53 PM »
the thing about hunting on someone elses property.
You should consider how far the stand is in. a hunter may have permision to hunt on the land next to yours and ger turned around soem and find his way on your land a bit and not know.  if the stand is a few hundred yards or so this may be the case but if it is deep in your land  then it is no mistake. I personaly would take the stand and leave a note for them to come and get it. if it was a mistake and the hunter is ethicial  he/she  would come and get it and tell you what happened then you would just give it back to them and show the boundrys

Offline Mawgie

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2004, 03:02:55 PM »
REVENGE!!

Late muzzleloader season, my buddy and I were out on our last hunt together, and putting a little push on around a swamp.  Sure enough, my buddy spotted his treestand, stolen nearly five years ago, and hung not more than 200 yards from the tree it was stolen out of.  We took it down, along with all the steps, and it will live again, under out butts (!!), on some private land we hunt.  

If you find what's yours, take it back!

-Mawgie

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2004, 06:07:12 AM »
Mawgi, how were you able to be sure after that length of time it was his stand and not just another like it? Any chance he just forgot where he put it and it wasn't stolen but just lost?

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Mawgie

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2004, 03:36:11 PM »
GB-
The treestand we found had some old fashioned style camoflauge fabric on the seat.  My hunting partner, who owned the stolen stand, recognized it immediately, as well as a length of rope he personally attached to the stand.  It was his for sure, and we confirmed that before taking it back.

- Mawgie

Offline teeball

Stolen Stand
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2004, 06:13:02 PM »
I had one stolen off my back porch when I lived in Michigan. I was over at a friends house a few years later and there it was on his garage floor. I said, "This is kind of a neat stand. Where did you get it?" Come to find out, he bought it from a friend of a friend that we both knew. He said that he never could figure out what the brachet on the side was for. It was too small to hold a drink can, so he figured the guy that had it put an ashtray in it or something. I said, "No, it's supposed to hold a pipe to mount a camera on when hunting." He said,"Yea, that's possible."  I said, "No, that's actual. I know because I'm the one who built it. He stole it off my back porch.
As far as finding a stand in the woods, if I didn't put it there, I don't hunt out of it. I have had friends who figure that they permission to hunt in the woods, they have the right to hunt from any stand they come across. Two years ago I had planned to hunt from a certain stand in the evning, but my BUDDY decided that since I was hunting on another property, he would just hunt out of it. He shot a nice 8 piont. This past season, he said another guy that hunts with him killed a 6 piont out of my stand on the back side of the property. I said I didn't put a stand on the back side this year. He said, "Huh? I wonder who's stand it is? Come to find out, he hunted of it a few days later. This proves to me that they will not only hunt out a stand if they THINK they know who's it is, but they will do it even if they DON"T know who's it is.
I am now looking for land to buy or lease to get away from them. I feel this is allmost as bad as stealing. Hunting from someone elses stand who might be better at picking a spot to set a stand, I just can't tollerate that. If he had asked, I would drawn him a map of where my stands were. But I don't like someone to climb in use it.