Author Topic: Big Buck down with Stevens 200 in 243!  (Read 1375 times)

Offline statelinerut

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Big Buck down with Stevens 200 in 243!
« on: November 25, 2008, 04:35:15 AM »
Well I broke the Stevens 243 in this morning. Decided to change up my tactics once again and it paid off. I had been seeing a big bodied rascal in the bottom 2 mornings in a row on the edge of a thicket. This morning I got to my tree sat down on the ground and waited for him. Sure enough, at 7am he come strolling through with a doe in tow. Picked a spot in the thicket and when he got there the 95gr Fusion hit him and 30 yards later he hit the dirt. Man I love it when a plan comes together. This is my biggest buck to date and on my little ol 6 acres at that. Of course there is 200 more acres around it, but who cares :D Got him on my land and that is what makes it so nice. Dont know what he will score, but he sure is nice for me.

Man I love a 243 ;)

"For it is the God who commanded light to shine out of darkness, who has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ." 2 Corinthians 4:6

"Upon a life I did not live, upon a death I did not die; anothers life, anothers death, I stake my whole eternity." Horatius Bonar

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
Re: Big Buck down with Stevens 200 in 243!
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 07:21:36 AM »
Very nice! Congrats.
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline BRL

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • Premium Nutrition
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 10:51:13 AM »
Wicked nice deer!
B. Leeber
Nutritional Biochemist

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 11:59:20 AM »
GREAT POST!!!

Very happy for you, I know EXACTLY how you feel!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline TribReady

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 12:36:24 PM »
Sorry, but you can't kill a big buck with a .243.  Impossible, especially with 95gr bullets.  Delete the post please.

Just kidding, of course!! :)  Nice deer on a nice hunt.  I showed my daughter the pic "for inspiration" She shoots the same rifle.  I'll tell you, it's a joy to shoot and hers shoots MOA without any modifications.  We love it......as do you!   ;)
A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson

...if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.  -2 Chronicles 7:14

Offline statelinerut

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 12:58:13 PM »
Sorry, but you can't kill a big buck with a .243.  Impossible, especially with 95gr bullets.  Delete the post please.

Just kidding, of course!! :)  Nice deer on a nice hunt.  I showed my daughter the pic "for inspiration" She shoots the same rifle.  I'll tell you, it's a joy to shoot and hers shoots MOA without any modifications.  We love it......as do you!   ;)

Tell your daughter I wish her the best of luck. She will do fine. The Stevens will not let her down I am certain.
"For it is the God who commanded light to shine out of darkness, who has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ." 2 Corinthians 4:6

"Upon a life I did not live, upon a death I did not die; anothers life, anothers death, I stake my whole eternity." Horatius Bonar

Offline TribReady

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 01:11:31 PM »
Oh yeah, she's shot 2 antlerless so far (last year and earlier this year during a youth season).  She's just "dying" to shoot a buck, though!
 She uses 100 gr Federal Power Shoks and I've been impressed with the damage/trauma from this round. 
Gonna try some 90gr or 95gr in a new Handi-Rifle sometime later this year or next year.
A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson

...if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.  -2 Chronicles 7:14

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 01:21:17 PM »
Sorry, but you can't kill a big buck with a .243.  Impossible, especially with 95gr bullets.

Ol' TR took the words right outa my mouf!   :D   I've said it over and over, the 243 is marginal for deer!  I guess this old boy just didn't read my posts!   ;D

Congrats!  That's a beautiful buck.  And like you say, on your own land is even better!
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2008, 08:02:57 AM »
Nice deer. I am a fan of the 6MM rounds, I like the accuracy and mild recoil. I have used them on many deer and never lost one.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline hillbill

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2008, 02:38:49 PM »
awesome deer! and as yu explained even more awesome cuz yu took it on yur own land.ive got a few acres ive been workin on keeping a resident doe population well fed and this year it seems to have paid off.like they say, if yu can keep the does the bucks will come after them.ive put in 3 food plots and done a lot of dozeing last 3 years and its seems to of paid off.if yu can give them sanctuary they will come.

Offline .308sniper

• Contributor
  • happiness is a steaming gut pile.
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2008, 01:36:38 PM »
man. Great job. Thats a really nice deer.
have fun! get it done with a 308.

Offline jordisonkevin

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2009, 09:39:45 PM »
Oh yeah, she's shot 2 antlerless so far (last year and earlier this year during a youth season).  She's just "dying" to shoot a buck, though!
 She uses 100 gr Federal Power Shoks and I've been impressed with the damage/trauma from this round. 
Gonna try some 90gr or 95gr in a new Handi-Rifle sometime later this year or next year.

I have used my . 243 for a few years now and love it. I shot a couple deer with 100 grain winchester power points from wallmart until i had time to load up some 95 grain Nosler ballist tips and I love them on both deer and coyotes. I have taken some very large deer with my .243 win and have yet to have one run away