Author Topic: action opening on firing  (Read 792 times)

Offline Buster95

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
action opening on firing
« on: February 27, 2009, 06:51:00 PM »
I don't shoot my BC yet but I heard that some Handis rifles opening after being shot , is that true?  :o

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
Re: action opening on firing
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 06:53:08 PM »
Yes.  However it seems to be meaningless.  I test fired a 32-20 with no latch at all (held shut by a rubber band) and it operated normally.  Larry

A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 07:44:34 PM »
Yes.  However it seems to be meaningless.  I test fired a 32-20 with no latch at all (held shut by a rubber band) and it operated normally.  Larry

Boy now that is encoraging for the new guy. Matt we really need that spell check back. That is like saying I took a leap off a bridge and did not get hurt. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 07:48:39 PM »
Mostly bad eggs spreading mis-information. 

If the bbl is not properly fitted, yes it can break open upon firing.  See the FAQ's sticky for latch engagement, and also the Handi-Facts sticky.

You can spend hours in those 2 sticky's.  i usually find something new everyday.

It's not a very common problem from what I understand.  Please avoid using a rubber band though :D
I'm voting 3rd party in this election by writing in Jesus Christ for president.  Sadly even if this were an option most of you would still vote Republican because "It's a two party system."

Offline murphdog

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 01:35:19 AM »
Buster95,
A few handis do pop open immediately AFTER firing.  As trotterlg said, this is not a dangerous situation.  However, it is not normal and it is not supposed to do this.  If you bought your handi new from the factory and it consistently pops open, you should send it back to the factory for repair.  If you bought it used, you can fix it yourself with the information included in the FAQ's at the top of this forum.  As singleshotsam said, it is caused by a poor latch engagement.  Probably the number one reason for sporadic pop-opens is allowing excess oil and crud to build up on the barrel latch and latch shelf (I have been guilty of this at times), so first thing to try is simply giving it a good cleaning.  If that doesn't help, you can work on improving the fit of the barrel to the reciever.  (Again, all this info is in the FAQ's).  To reassure you, most handi's do not pop open, and those that do can usually be fixed, and the factory will do this for you if its still reasonably under warranty. 
Duane

Offline murphdog

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 02:04:17 AM »
Forgot to mention, if you're reloading, and your cases don't headspace properly, then case head will keep action from closing properly, and this is another common cause of pop-opens.  Of course, if factory ammo doesn't headspace right, than the chamber is out of spec and needs to go back to factory. 
Duane

Offline Buster95

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 05:04:52 AM »
The release button should be loose when the action is closed and locked up completely. With the action open, there shouldn't be any play in the release button.

Tim

The release button of my  BC have side play with action closed or open, it's normal?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 05:51:01 AM »
Read the pop open medicine link in the FAQs. If the release button rattles when you shake the rifle with the action closed, it's normal, it likely won't rattle with the action open. The button will always be somewhat loose because of the way it's made.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 07:13:52 AM »
Mostly bad eggs spreading mis-information. 

If the bbl is not properly fitted, yes it can break open upon firing.  See the FAQ's sticky for latch engagement, and also the Handi-Facts sticky.

You can spend hours in those 2 sticky's.  i usually find something new everyday.

It's not a very common problem from what I understand.  Please avoid using a rubber band though :D

I hope you're not calling Larry a "bad egg spreading mis-information".
He is well respected on here and has probably built more Handi barrels than most of us have owned.
He might know a thing or two about these things. ;)

Pop open is easily fixed... usually by just cleaning the latch shelf.

Spanky

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 07:27:44 AM »
I don't think anyone who read my origional posting thinks I am saying it is OK to shoot a Handi with a rubber band holding it closed.  While test fireing a stubbed barrel I took the opertunity to do a test to see if a completely unlatched Handi would cause harm to a person fireing it.  This one test is clearly not good for all Handi's, and it may not be repeatable, what it did show was that when this rifle was fired with no latch at all nothing bad happened. To me, this suggests, but does not prove, that the pop opens are a simple distraction, not right, but also not a dangerous thing unless you get pinched by the barrel opening.  Your results may be different and I would not continue to shoot a rifle that pops open, however I would not stop shooting it after a single event.  Again, these are the results of one single test, I an sort of sorry I did it now.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2009, 07:55:19 AM »
The worst case scenario with pop-opens has happened with ejector barrels when the hot brass hit the shooter when it ejected, IF the barrel opened far enough, which is a moot point with an extractor barrel. I've only had one pop-open which was with my Hornet, caused by me not closing the action properly, I reloaded from the sitting position at the bench and just got lazy. ::) It popped open just a crack, it also threw the shot way out of the group.

Tim

Offline Buster95

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2009, 09:02:29 AM »
The worst case scenario with pop-opens has happened with ejector barrels when the hot brass hit the shooter when it ejected, IF the barrel opened far enough, which is a moot point with an extractor barrel. I've only had one pop-open which was with my Hornet, caused by me not closing the action properly, I reloaded from the sitting position at the bench and just got lazy. ::) It popped open just a crack, it also threw the shot way out of the group.

Tim

My BC was made in may 2008 according to Tim, does it come with a ejector or a extractor I'm confused, I don't have any 45-70 cartridge to try,here a photo.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2009, 11:24:56 AM »
It's a manual extractor, ejectors are spring powered and throw the case out of the chamber and over your shoulder(hopefully!!), or into your face if it pops open completely :o. Extractors just lift the case out a little and leave it there for you to pluck out by hand. All centerfire rifle barrels have been extractors since about 2006 with a few exceptions of existing inventory of older barrels. H&R first started offering extractor barrels in 2004 with the 204 Ruger Handi.

Tim

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2009, 11:35:04 AM »
Buster95

Just listen for the click , an extractor barrel will have a slow , strait lift from the chamber while the ejector will have a click sound to it as the barrel is opened due to the spring .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline OBXPilgrim

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2009, 12:45:18 PM »
Buster,

If that photo is your BC, I don't think you'll have any trouble with pop-opens.  Looks like you've got plenty of lug engagement from the photo.

Offline Buster95

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2009, 03:38:30 PM »
Thanks guys  ;) OBXPilgrim yeah it's a photo of my pretty BC.