Author Topic: .270 Ultra Comp - Great results!  (Read 583 times)

Offline vincewarde

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
.270 Ultra Comp - Great results!
« on: February 27, 2009, 08:24:23 PM »
My health finally allowed me to resume shooting this week and at the top of my list was testing and load development for the wife's brand new .270 Ultra Comp.  I built this gun from parts purchased here a Greybeard's and Midway - and following the great directions available here.  I went to the range with a variety of loads to test - and based on experience, I guessed what powder charge of Mil Surp IMR 4895 would be most accurate and loaded a bunch.

It turned out that 45.5grs under a 130 gr bullet was the most accurate, so we proceeded to sight the gun in.  Right after we finished zeroing it 1.5 in high at 100 yards, I was able to fire two 3 shot groups that were well under an inch.  Not bad for a pieced together rifle wearing a 3-9 BSA scope!

I only have two minor problems to deal with.  First, it still kicks more than the wife will put up with.  I'll either fill the buttstock with shot or go with a mercury compensator.  Second it has the case sticking problem.  I know I had it clean, so we are polishing the chamber before we go out tomorrow.

So, for all of you who put down the Handi Rifle as always requiring a lot of work before it shoots well - this one sure didn't!
"Preach the Gospel at all times, when absolutely necessary - use words" St Francis
<><

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
Re: .270 Ultra Comp - Great results!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 09:36:48 PM »
My '06 is the only ejector (rifle) I have left, and I'm either going to sell its stainless barrel or convert it to extractor.  No matter how clean, cases still stick occasionally.  Not a good thing with a hunting rifle.  With the extractor, my fingers, even with gloves, gets them out NOW.  They should have sold the ejectors with a cleaning rod under the barrel so you could knock out the stuck cases.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 03:55:58 AM »
Every handi i've had shot MOA right out of the box! 

Lol, I don't think you'll find too many people will put down the handi in this forum :D
I'm voting 3rd party in this election by writing in Jesus Christ for president.  Sadly even if this were an option most of you would still vote Republican because "It's a two party system."

Offline SM Bob

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 09:04:43 AM »
Sounds like you have that 270 shooting real good! ;) For recoil sensitive folks,
myself included, the Past recoil shield is just awesome. When I wear mine I
can shoot over 400 rounds in a morning through my milsurp rifles that have
steel butt plates and not feel any ill effects what so ever afterward. They
make one specifically designed for women shooters. They also make magnum
models that might offer more protection for her as well.

Robert

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00094360000

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00094300010

Offline vincewarde

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 05:16:31 AM »
Well, she shot it yesterday - and shot her own 1 moa groups off the bench!  When I asked her if she wanted the recoil reduced further at the cost of more weight, she opted to keep it as is.  She likes it light and says she can handle the recoil.  Wow am I blessed beyond what I deserve! 

As usual, the chamber polish completely cured the ejection problem.  Zero failures.  Personally - as long as it works every time - I would rather have an ejector on a single shot rifle.  One less thing to do when reloading.

Robert - thanks for the link!  I'll probably pick up one for each of us.
"Preach the Gospel at all times, when absolutely necessary - use words" St Francis
<><

Offline SM Bob

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 08:45:08 AM »
Another quick story about the Past:
A friend of mine was going through the Police Academy several years ago. There was
a young lady in the class who could handle everything except shooting the 12 ga
shotgun. The recoil just kicked her butt. My friend got her one of these Past shields
that fit under her uniform. No one knew she was even wearing it. She never had a
problem shooting the shotgun after that.

Robert