Author Topic: Big Max  (Read 526 times)

Offline kix

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Big Max
« on: March 01, 2009, 03:12:41 PM »
  Hello all. Back in around '83 or so I bought a RCBS A4 Big Max press. Remember those,the ones with the big shovel handle? Didn't they disappear off the scene rather quickly? Well, I still have mine and still love it even though it's slow and ponderous. It is what I learned reloading on and surprisingly I've never even considered going progressive. The girlfriend watches TV (or talks on the phone) and I just keep churning them out,slow but steady. So,anyone else besides myself still use these old monsters?  Kix

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Big Max
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 05:49:58 PM »
I don't have one, but do remember them. I think, RCBS bought that out with the idea of making it into a progressive press. I bought one of their piggy back kits, to turn my old Rock Chucker into a progressive. What a waste of time,effort and money. Spent more time adjusting and re-adjusting than loading. Could have loaded more ammo if I had just left the rock chucker as a single stage. Which, it didn't take to long, is exactly what I did. Think I got $50 for the piggy back kit at a gun show.  gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 12:37:07 AM »
I almost bought one, but for some reason held off. then a couple years later an good deal came along on the AMMOMASTER I have now. it was set up as a progressive. I used it that way for a while. Then later changed it back to a single stage. its been that way for about a dozen years!!!  I have a Dillon 550 for my progressive duties.

I was just down there last night, turning out a couple boxes of 6.5X55s for testing. All single stage loaded.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline kix

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 02:49:03 PM »
  Well, I'm glad someone at least remembers them! Today a buddy came over and for about six hours loaded a bunch of .223,7Mag. and 220 Swift. After awhile of watching him de-prime and load I decided to jump in and help while he watched the Outdoor Channel. Thinking of this post it was a real joy to hold that big handle and let it do it's job. Six hours for what we loaded? Sure,it was long time but he is one of my oldest friends so it was time well spent. And then,after he left, I loaded some .30 FMJ's for the upcoming turkey season. Rifles for turkey season? Well, I must live in a different region/locale than you.  Kix