Author Topic: Load data needed on Cast Performance 187 gr for 357  (Read 2177 times)

Offline GrassLakeRon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Load data needed on Cast Performance 187 gr for 357
« on: February 27, 2009, 01:42:05 AM »
Hi,

I am thinking about loading up some 187 gr Cast Performance LBT's for my 357.  I am having a hard time finding load data.  Has anyone loaded these?

Ron

Offline Reed1911

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (18)
    • www.reedsammo.com
Re: Load data needed on Cast Performance 187 gr for 357
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 03:42:23 AM »
Just use either the 180g data or 200g data and you will be fine.

If they are GC bullets, I'd opt for a healthy dose of H110/W296 or 2400, if they are plain base I'd opt for TG, Unique, or #5
Ron Reed
Reed's Ammunition & Research
info@reedsammo.com
www.reedsammo.com

Offline Gohon

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 04:54:27 PM »
You should have gotten a sheet of paper with recommended load data in the box.  Maybe they have stopped doing this.  Anyway for the 187 gr. WFNGC (assuming that is what your have) the only data from Cast Performance is:

AA9 = 10.1 gr. min.          11.2 gr. max
H110 = 12.5 gr. min.         13.5 gr. max

No other data such as fps or fpe is supplied and that is the only two powders listed.

Where they get their load data I don't know.  I have and have loaded the cast Performance 180 grain WFNGC and I'm loading a half grain over their recommended data.  Should you decide to do this remember all the warnings that are applicable and approach with caution.  My loads shoot just fine in my gun.

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 10:01:21 PM »
Cast Performance always includes a data sheet in their boxes of bullets. I just got a box of 160gr.
You can also access data on their website.

Or you can do as posted above and use data for 200gr bullets.

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater

Offline Gohon

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 12:58:00 PM »
If Cast performance has load data on their site I've never been able to find it.  Maybe you could post a direct link to it on their site.   Don't know why he would want to use data for a 200 grain when I just gave him Cast Performances data for the 187 grain bullet he was asking for. 

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 10:44:30 PM »
Gohon-
Wish I could scan this data sheet I printed off the Cast Performace website, but I don't have that capability. Guess I'm showing my age - It's dated 11/18/06, so guess it's a bit old, possibly? The data is somewhat different from that which you posted. When I typed in the url at the bottom of my printout, it took me to their homepage 'today', which is devoid of the "Load Data" button contained on the 2006 version (it was on the left side of the page right above the "Links" button). So it appears that "getting data off their website" is no longer an option.
I would probably use data for a 200gr similar bullet in lieu thereof due to the fact that I do not use either of the 2 powders listed in your post. 40 years of dealing in this rocket science has taught me how to do that safely and successfully. It's not difficult.

GrassLakeRon - Best of luck and stay safe.

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Offline Gohon

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 04:43:37 PM »
Well you certainly had me scratching my head trying to find load data.  Here is a scan of the sheet Cast Performance put in a box of 180 Grain WFNGC I bought last year.  I'm actually loading just a fraction over their max loading using H110 and getting 1520 fps.  Never tried any of the other powders they show but intend to give Lil'Gun a try this summer.

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 07:24:02 PM »
Gohon-
Sorry about the head-scratching part. Never imagined they had changed that part of their website. Wonder if it may have been a result of being bought out and the new owners maybe not wanting to be part of that.

The last box of 160grWFNPB contained the same sheet you scanned. That's good news. They agree.

The old website listed the following as max for 357Mag:
                                                                    160gr WFNPB W296@14.2gr and AA#9@12.1gr
                                                                    180gr WFNGC W296@12.9gr and AA#9@10.7gr
                                                                    187gr WFNGC W296@12.7gr and AA#9@10.6gr

The old website listed the following as max for 357Mag in Freedom Arms Revolvers Only:
                                                                     200gr WLNGCDC W296@9.6gr

The old website did not list the 200gr for standard 357Mag loads.

I used to shoot a lot of 200m Rams with a 214gr SWCGC out of an RCBS mold using 38Spl brass (mil-surp) and a Dan Wesson 357mag Revolver. Used the old Lyman#45 book and data for a 217gr if memory serves. I no longer have that book; victim of divorce#2. It was fun watching the bullet from the Creedmore position as it careened through the air. Watching that flight pattern made me wonder how I ever hit anything at that distance! BUT, it usually went 8 for 10 or better on the Rams. Don't shoot 357Mag anymore, but use the bullets in my 356Winchester for plinking. Veral Smith says that 180gr is pure dynamite in a 357Mag Rifle - it's his wife's elk rifle and load of choice!

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 10:51:34 AM »
180 gr LBT style of bullet is my favorite .357 bullet for all types of hunting, A max load of H110 or W296 (same powder BTW) is crazy accurate and lots of smackdown. 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline jumpsteady

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 07:02:48 PM »
Well you certainly had me scratching my head trying to find load data.  Here is a scan of the sheet Cast Performance put in a box of 180 Grain WFNGC I bought last year.  I'm actually loading just a fraction over their max loading using H110 and getting 1520 fps.  Never tried any of the other powders they show but intend to give Lil'Gun a try this summer.

How long of a barrel are you using? I just bought 2 boxes of the 180's and plan on shooting them out of my 10" Contender.
Charter Member, Sons of the American Legion, Post 421 Topeka, Kansas

Charter Member, American Legion Riders, Post 421 Topeka, Kansas