Author Topic: Steam Storm Car with 6 cannons, early tank?  (Read 671 times)

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
Steam Storm Car with 6 cannons, early tank?
« on: March 02, 2009, 05:54:20 AM »
Here's another gem from the Army's "inventions" collection, National Archives RG156, Entry 70, Box 1. Other than the title, "Steam Storm Car," I know nothing, but would venture a guess that this drawing dates from ca. 1814-1825. This seems reminiscent of some of Da Vinci's drawings. Unfortunately these drawings were enclosures to letters which of course have been filed elsewhere. It looks like there's at least some kind of reference number on the back, but I was in too much of a rush at the time to photograph it or take notes.

Offline BoomLover

Re: Steam Storm Car with 6 cannons, early tank?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 06:51:16 AM »
Thanks for posting this one, Cannonmn! Looks like a C.C.C. (Crowd Control Contraption) with Mortars and Howitzers, and spikes....a real war machine!  The idea has been used in the movies, "Wild Wild West", with Will Smith, they had a steam powered beast like this! BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 11:24:52 AM »
Uh oh, was looking thru some other things I copied at the Archives and found another paper on it, and the concept dates from 1867!  So this dummy (me) was only about a half-century off.

Offline Artilleryman

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 11:39:57 AM »
The notes on this would be very interesting.  Obviously no one thought this concept was practical.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 03:01:03 AM »
So this dummy (me) was only about a half-century off.

Without a date reference, I would have guessed it to be a new and improved Roman chariot.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 07:16:35 AM »
I thought it was an artillary car for a train.  Looks like two cannon and four mortor in an enclosed train car.
{K }being the track and the {I} being the coupling to the other cars.
Was not sure if {D} was field of fire for the cannon and mortor or spikes to repell attackers.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 12:54:56 PM »
I am a fan of the "Steam Storm Car" ,not that I'd actually want to ride in it and use it as something tells me there might smokie situation inside PDQ !

God forbid there'd be powder being loaded in one mortar inside with other hot mortar fuses fling all around !!!

Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 05:33:55 PM »
We're in luck, today by accident at the Archives I found the letter that goes with the picture.  I didn't take time to read the letter, I just took pictures of it after I realized what it was.  When I get all my photos sorted out in a day or two (took about 750 photos there today) I'll post the letter.