Author Topic: Tumbling Media  (Read 715 times)

Offline Ahshucks

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Accountant:  Serving clients that profit from our services!
Tumbling Media
« on: March 05, 2009, 12:20:00 PM »
Hello all.  I'm considering getting into reloading and was wondering what the corn cob media used in the tumblers looks like.  Is it bits & pieces of cob, or crushed into a power substance? 

Reason I ask, is I burn corn for heat and have been saving some of the larger cob pieces that gets trapped into my screener before I take corn into my stoves.  I also vacuum out the powder and pieces from the screener as I run the corn through and end up with a large amount of wild animal feed.

Banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered - - Thomas Jefferson 1802

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Re: Tumbling Media
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 03:19:40 PM »
Depending on the grind , it can be anywere from the size of a grain of rice to a grain of sand , I have been using the mid size stuff as it doesn't bridge or plug the necks in the smaller cal rounds like 223 and 218 Bee , trying to dig it out of a case with a dental pick is something you will only do once , trust me on this .  :o  >:( ;D  ;)

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 11:37:18 PM »
i too like the course ground stuff for straight walled cases but have had to do stimplys pick it out of the case on bottle necked cases one to many times. I use only fine ground walnut for bottlenecks now.
blue lives matter

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 11:37:58 PM »
something else that works real well for all cases is bulk dry rice.
blue lives matter

Offline beerbelly

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 01:34:20 AM »
Is there any way to clean this stuff? I have a tumbler that holds three pounds. I have not cleaned all that many peaces of brass and it is already very dirty and it seems to not be doing as good a job as before.
                                      Beerbelly

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 03:02:26 AM »
To enhance your corn cob media, try some of the Dillon Rapid Polish 290...works great.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 04:03:34 AM »
or a cap full of brasso
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline merkelerk

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 12:36:50 PM »
I leave the tumbler running when removing the cleaned brass, as I fish out the cases, I hold them upside down against the tumbler bowl for a second.
This vibrates the media out of the case (.223 in a home made tumbler).
If your not part of the solution, your part of the precipitate.

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 08:38:51 PM »
I got tired of paying top prices for products sold for tumbling media and cleaners years ago.   Went to crushed corn cob sold in pet stores as cage litter for birds for a while.   Dirt cheap in large bags but it breaks down too fast.   Then I stopped by the feed store and bought an 80# bag of cracked corn chicken feed for less than $10.   Works as good as walnut and doesn't get stuck in primer flash holes if I change it when it starts to break down.   Same with the cleaners sold for tumbling media - too high priced.   I use lemons, limes and grapefruit alot in my cooking, save the rinds and after choping them up some toss them in the tumbler.   The oils not only cut the grime off the brass but it smells great as well and they cost me nothing extra.
Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009, 04:44:42 AM »
I use lemons, limes and grapefruit alot in my cooking, save the rinds and after choping them up some toss them in the tumbler.   The oils not only cut the grime off the brass but it smells great as well and they cost me nothing extra.

Seems like someone posted a homemade citrus additive here a few years ago...it was six oz of liquid citrus cleaner blended with a can of chore girl cleaning powder if I am remembering right.

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2009, 06:13:23 AM »
I will try the cracked corn. I have been using ground English walnut shells, reptile bedding, with good results. It is half the price of case media.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.