Author Topic: A H&R 22 Hornet to 221 Rem Fireball and 222 Rem Rechamber. Anyone done them?  (Read 819 times)

Offline briannmilewis

• Trade Count: (11)
OK. Two topics in a week, I must be the new kid on the block. I searched the forums before I created this new topic, and read a thread from 2004. Plenty of advice, but no definitive I've done it and it was easy or hard etc. So, has anyone actually done the rechamber or had it done by someone to their rifle? Also, what about 22 Hornet to 222 Rem? The 221 is a total no brainer and they say you can get a 223 extractor from Brownell's or H&R. There was also support for the 221 job being done by hand if you are careful. I figure if I have a 22 Hornet K, a 221 Rem Fireball and a 222 Rem all from H&R/NEF, I will have a nice selection of graduated rifles, and cheap to boot!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
I have a 221FB barrel that I bought from Booyah in the classifieds here, it was a 22 Hornet in it's previous life, I haven't shot it yet, but he did.  ;)

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,167161.msg1098766029.html#msg1098766029
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Not a true .222 Rem , but as close as you can get and still have a rimmed case .

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,139805.0.html

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
I just did a 22 Hornet from a .22 Mag barrel and I have a .222 finish reamer, you pay the shipping and send me a sized .222 case to head space it with and I will do it for the price of shipping and the ejector.  You will be limited to some lighter weight bullets due to the slower twist of the Hornet, but things should work out.  Might be a good science experment.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline briannmilewis

trotterlg: I appreciate the offer. I am not there yet, just been planning, but your offer is very generous. You said you have a "finish reemer", what does that mean in the world of reemers?

Offline briannmilewis

Just looked at a reference list for H&R barrel twists and the Hornet and the 223 have the same 1:12, so I assume the 222 will be right a home with the parent barrel from the Hornet as the 221 would be also.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
Then life would be good.  A finish reamer cuts the final chamber.  There are roughing reamers that take out most of the metal so the finish reamer doesn't have to do so much work.  I have some gereral purpose roughers that don't take out quite so much metal as a proper rougher but does take a load off my finish reamers.  Let me know, the offer stands until it am dead.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.