Author Topic: Newly acquired equipment  (Read 314 times)

Offline HuntMeister

• Trade Count: (0)
Newly acquired equipment
« on: March 08, 2009, 01:39:07 PM »
First off, many THANKS to everyone for helping this reloading newb get started in the right direction. Thought I would share my progress to date.

I have been visiting here and many other sites and absorbing all that I can for many months now, I think this has been the most active / helpful reloading board of all that I know of. I have been watching all the classifieds and ebay for a few weeks for opportunities but always seemed I either was too late on a classified or ebay stuff was going nearly for retail. >:(  Two weeks ago this coming Wed I decided to get off the fence and purchase my first piece of equipment (excluding the manuals), Midway had a caliper on sale so I bought it. Then Friday of the same week I just happen to do a new search on ebay and found a 5-0-5 scale, a bench top priming tool, a bullet puller, caliper and some reloading blocks together in one auction which only had 15 minutes left. I did some quick math, made a bid and won it. I think the fact that it ended around the luch hour on a Fri may have caught some bidders sleeping. Now fast forward to the following Monday, I get a call from a good friend, he tells me that his brother who has been reloading for 40 plus years has decided to sell all his toys and reloading eq. We make a run to his house the next day and I came away with a older Pacific C press (he just sold the rockchucker the day prior), can of lube, another bench top priming tool, funnel kit, primer tray, 30-06 dies, RCBS powder measure w/ a old Herters stand, reloading blocks, tumbler and a 15lb bucket of media.
Now the really great thing is excluding the manuals I only have $150 tied up so far. For all you guys thinking about jumping into reloading, it can be done on the cheap if you just take your time and watch. I was almost to the point of giving up and going on a shopping spree at Midway!! Just a few more items and then I can get started I think.

Sorry for the ramble but I just had to share! Thanks again for all the help, I am looking forward to sharing / helping all I can in the future as I learn.

Offline GameHauler

• Trade Count: (49)
  • A Real Regular
  • Thank you Every One for Positive Feedback
Re: Newly acquired equipment
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 02:00:43 PM »
Nice Start ;)
And you are right about waiting if you can
Let everyone you know you are looking and stuff will come around.
Good luck, Good loading and Good shooting
Mike

Offline Pumah25

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 05:32:28 AM »
Waiting is great if you can bear it. I went the Midway spree route to get started but now watch for deals to add to my supply. I started (last year) with a single stage Hornady LNL and just found a a Progressive Hornady LNL with the case feeder on another site for about half the cost of new. I think a lot of people get into reloading on a whim and decide they don't like it or that it takes too much time so they turn and sell everything. Good for us I guess. Personally I look forward to the time in my gun room. Reloading has become nearly as enjoyable as shooting.

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 06:46:24 AM »
You are on your way!  With only $150 invested, you can actually start saving $ soon if you shoot a lot.