Author Topic: h-r buff. classic question  (Read 556 times)

Offline brianscott12

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
  • Alabama
h-r buff. classic question
« on: March 08, 2009, 09:59:28 AM »
As some of you may remember, I just recently purchased an h-r buff. classic. I've noticed that when grabbing the rifle by the forend stock that the very end of it has just a small anount of side to side movement. It's not real bad but enough to cause me some concern. Is this normal or should I see bout getting something done? I have checked the screw and it is tight.
To seize the opportunity of a lifetime you must do so within the lifetime of that opportunity.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: h-r buff. classic question
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 10:16:24 AM »
The forend is loose or the barrel is loose? Action open or closed? If it's just the forend, not to worry, loose is better than too tight, all it does is hold the barrel on when the action is open. If the barrel is tight with the forend removed, you're good to go, but how the forend fits does affect accuracy, all of this is covered in the FAQs under accurizing... in one topic or another.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline brianscott12

• Contributor
  • Alabama
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 10:35:45 AM »
Tim, it's only the wood itself moving, the barrel is very tight. I'm not usually this picky but I dont usually buy rifles new. Thanks
To seize the opportunity of a lifetime you must do so within the lifetime of that opportunity.

Offline Buster95

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 11:33:35 AM »
Mine is also new and the forend stock has a very very small side to side movement too.

Offline Chas.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 11:41:01 AM »
Same here.  Mines less than a year old, and there's just a mite play in the fore end.  Barrel locks up tight, no movement there.

Offline Dustyvance

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 12:38:02 PM »
Mine doesnt move at all. Guess I am the oddball on this one!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ( sorry Just HAD 2).

Offline brianscott12

• Contributor
  • Alabama
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 01:14:45 PM »
I feel a bit better now. Thanks, guess i'll keep it. lol

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 02:58:41 PM »
If the looseness becomes more of a concern, you could bed the forend and that should take some of the slop if not all out of it, and it will give a more consistent fit also, which can't do anything but improve accuracy.

Here's the link from the FAQ's but you'll have to scroll down near the bottom of the page.  Has pictures to explain the method.

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums//index.php/topic,75256.msg465176.html
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline kevinsmith5

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 03:35:03 PM »
Mine was tight at the fore when I got it. I did the "O" ring trick to float the barrel and there is a little wiggle now, but reduced barrell to wood contact is what we want, right?
If he's carrying a singleshot, don't expect a warning shot!

Offline Chas.

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 04:04:05 PM »
Ahh...I forgot...I did the o-ring trick also and that may be where my movement stems from.