Author Topic: Match Grade Handi  (Read 574 times)

Offline GrampaMike

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Match Grade Handi
« on: March 06, 2009, 06:21:42 AM »
Match Grade Handi

Why didn’t anyone tell me that there was a “Match Grade” Handi Rifle?

Last range trip, I was testing some new loads.  Mounted the 10x Bushnell scope that I always use for load development and testing.  Perfect day for shooting and only one on the range, week day, guess people had to work.  Used one of those 12”x12” red ink targets with the 1” grid, you know the ones.  Set up at 50 yards to be sure I get on the paper.  First shot cold barrel, about 1” low and 2” right.  Second shot, nowhere to be seen.  Third shot, nowhere to be seen.  Adjusted scope for the first shot, yes you guessed it.  Forth shot, almost dead-center.  That sucker was putting shots almost through the same hole each time.  I was so excited and there wasn’t anyone there to show and tell.  Put up some of my 3”x5” index cards with 1” black circle at 100 yards.  Only had 3 shots left with that exact load, I load in groups of 7 when testing.  Next seven rounds had 0.2 grains more powder.  Anyway shot a 3 shot group with what I had left, 0.6” group.  Know what that feels like; just “shooting” is a great sport.  Next was a 7 shot group, a tad less than 1” at 100 yards.

You are probably wondering which Handi rifle; NOT the 223 Remington.  It is my 7.62x39mm pallet stocked Handi with hunting bullets!  The Barnes 123 grain TSX .310 diameter bullet in Lapua brass with 23.6 grains of Alliant Reloder 7.  I did not take the Chrony with me, because I wasn’t going to have very much range time.

I feel when you mention the 7.62x39mm, people think cheap military surplus ammo.  If they can’t shoot that, they dismiss the cartridge.  Need to think; “this is a reloading round”.  When you reload this cartridge, it is very efficient (probably the biggest reason countries use it as a military round, more shots per pound of powder), and very little recoil.  I really like this cartridge, probably why I have 3 bolt action rifles in this chambering (Ruger, Remington and CZ).  But the Handi is the most accurate so far.
Grampa Mike
U.S. Army Retired

"Say what you mean, mean what you say"
Father of 2 GREAT sons, and 9 grandchildren.

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Re: Match Grade Handi
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 06:47:25 AM »
What's the effiencey of the 7.62x39 compared to that of the 5.56 nato?

BTW! Glad to hear the handi is a shooter!
I'm voting 3rd party in this election by writing in Jesus Christ for president.  Sadly even if this were an option most of you would still vote Republican because "It's a two party system."

Offline geezer56

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (102)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 05:15:17 PM »
I have one of the 7.62X39 Handi's.  My 14 yr. old used it to hunt with this year.  Efficient is the work that comes to mind.  Two deer with 2 shots, both bang flops.  And the darn thing is really, really accurate.  It will put 3 almost touching at 50 yds.  That is the range at my house, so I don't have to travel.  I plan on working some with it this summer and seeing what it will do with cast.  But right now, it is probably the most accurate one of the 22 that I own.  That is with the Hornady 123 grainers, in my reloads.

Offline JerryKo

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (64)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 12:31:40 AM »
Those match grades are out there!  Love it too.  But sometimes hate it for them first few minutes of where'd it go...,followed by well I'll be..., same hole!!  Alot of fellows wished they'd of picked up a 7.62x39 before they were all gone.  Myself included.

Nice Shooting!

Jerry
"It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up."- Vince Lombardi