Author Topic: Scout rifle , scope?  (Read 908 times)

Offline Old English

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Scout rifle , scope?
« on: March 01, 2009, 12:29:41 AM »
I am considering building a scout type rifle and wondered about scopes. Would a handgun scope work on a guide gun, long eye relief etc? No experience with this but I could do with a hard hitting 45/70 in this configuration.

Offline eye shot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
Re: Scout rifle , scope?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 04:03:46 AM »
One scope I know will work if you need about 12" EER is the Burris handgun 2x7x32 with ballistic plex. I have one on a 12ga. slug gun and have put several hundred slugs threw it using that scope and it's held up very well. The ballistic plex works great with slugs and should help the 45-70. Also that scope has one of the widest FOV for a EER scope and good glass.
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

http://www.sent-trib.com/obituaries/michael-l-schulte

Offline wareagleguy

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 06:10:52 AM »
A handgun scope will not work.  You need less eye relief than a handgun scope.  I have a Marlin lever 444p with the XPS scout setup with the Leupold Scout scope.  It works great and a perfect walk around woods hunting system.  I think Buris makes a scout scope.  You will need to use a scout scope reguardless of which brand you choose.

Here ya go.
http://theopticzone.com/default.aspx?act=pro&opt=detail&id=1103
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Offline Cement Man

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 04:44:28 AM »
I have to respectfully disagree regarding handgun scopes.  I use the scout concept on my milsurps because I can mount them without permanently altering the rifles.  A correctly chosen handgun scope can work very, very well and can save you some money.

I have two Burris Scout scopes and two 2 X 20 handgun scopes for these purposes.  The Burris scout scope has eye relief of 8.5" to 14".  2.75 ACTUAL magnification, parallax set at 100 yards. Ocular focus is adjustable. I prefer the Burris Scout Scope over any other, but the Burris 2X20 handgun scope also does a great job.

The Burris 2 X 20 handgun scope has eye relief of 10" to 24", actual magnification of 2X, and unlike many other handgun scopes with a parallax setting of 50 yards, the Burris handgun scopes are set at 100 yards as well. Focus is also adjustable. (on sale now at Natchez for $142.95)

My Swede Mausers and my Swiss K31's require about 11" of eye relief for me in the scout mount position.  So, you can see that this does fall within the range of eye relief for both types of scopes.  Peruse the "scout mount" forums and you will see that people use handgun scopes a lot.  But they are not always the very best choice: if you don't know what your specs should be, the parallax setting is too short, or you believe that you can get an acceptable scope for $39.

Nikon fixed handgun scopes also have "scout scope useable" specs.  They call them 2X20 but actual magniication is 1.75.  Probably not a perceptible difference in magnification, but it is what it is.  Eye relief is 10.5" to 26".

The Leupold scout scope is highly regarded, BUT it's actual magnification is 2.3, not 2.5 as the model number implies, there is no ocular focus adjustment, and from what I read, Leupold does caution against mounting with the rings closer than 1/2" of the lenses or turret saddle.  Even so, most people highly rate the leupold scout scope.  I think Burris is a better scope and a better value, but the leupold is, by all accounts, a very good scout scope.  ADD: eyerelief is 9.3" to.....

Most of the above scopes have a FOV of about 21', which is pretty good.  Remember that with variable power handgun scopes, the eye relief and the FOV change with magnification changes, often (in my opinion) making them not acceptable for general scout use.  Also remember that handgun scopes don't have a lot of tube space for adjustment between the rings, so be sure about your eye relief requirements and the where the scope will be on the rifle.  But, a properly chosen handgun scope can do a great job for you.

ADD: The above specs are what I have jotted down in my notebook, and I am not perfect, but Ibelieve they are all correct.  This information is worth what you paid for it. :D

modified to ADD comments
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.