Author Topic: RCBS FL X-Die Sizing Die NEVER TRIM AGAIN!  (Read 636 times)

Offline PigBoy Crabshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
RCBS FL X-Die Sizing Die NEVER TRIM AGAIN!
« on: March 09, 2009, 08:37:30 PM »
Anyone use an X-Die?
Pro's - Con's, or as I'm just getting into reloading should I just say no and stick to a standard 2 die set for my desired caliber? -g
"In God We Trust - Everyone else keep you hands where I can see them!"

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: RCBS FL X-Die Sizing Die NEVER TRIM AGAIN!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 11:37:49 PM »
they work only problem for me is most of the rifle i shoot are 308s and .223s in ar guns and i like to small base size for anything i have to trust my life to. the other hunting type rifles i dont shoot enough that trimming brass is that much of a bother on my rcbs power trimmer.
blue lives matter

Offline PigBoy Crabshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 03:48:08 AM »
Thanks Lloyd,I was only thinking of them for the Handi rifle at this time and was just wondering if there worth the extra coin over a regular 2 die set? -g
"In God We Trust - Everyone else keep you hands where I can see them!"

Offline Dave in WV

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 02:31:27 PM »
My son has an X die for his .243.  He got over pressures a few years ago. He checked everything and decided it was something caused by the X die keeping the case length in check. He adjusted the die out so the X function doesn't work.  He uses the X die for full length resizing but as a standard die. He hasn't had a problem since.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 12:38:11 AM »
There are two causes of cases growing in length. The one and the only one of them the x-die can deal with is that growth during the sizing operation. It can't deal with what happens when the round is fired and brass flows forward.

Now which is the greatest cause of it? I honestly don't know but on real high intensity rounds I'd guess at least as much of it is firing the round as is caused by sizing the case. The expander bullet pulling the neck forward as it is withdrawn from the case is what primarily causes it in sizing so the dies that don't use such a button should be just as effective at it.

I've never had any faith in the x-die personally and see it as more of an advertising gimmick than anything else.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 01:49:55 AM »
I dont have a clue as to how they work but i know ive loaded the same 243 brass 8 times and it still didnt need trimming so i guess i wouldnt call it a gimic.
blue lives matter

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 06:19:56 AM »
I use one for 220 Swift.
Same as Lloyd, don't know how but it works.
I can tell you that some say it will cause the necks to get thick, RCBS says in the product description it does not and I have measured necks and never could see any change.
I would buy another X-Die

Offline Larry Gibson

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 07:20:19 AM »
Anyone use an X-Die?
Pro's - Con's, or as I'm just getting into reloading should I just say no and stick to a standard 2 die set for my desired caliber? -g

I use them in .223, 30-30, 7.62x39, .308W, 30-06 and 8mm.  I've ordered them for 6.5 swede and .303 Brit.  Obviously I like them.  Yes they are worth the extra $s over the regular 2 die set.  Trimming is indeed eliminated (I don't even do the first trim per the instructions).  Case life of 7.62 in the M1!/M14 is extended from 4-6 firings to 20+ per case.  Case life is also just as good in the AR , SKS and M1.  I use the regular X-dies as I've not found any need for small base dies with milspec chambers or even "match" chambers in the M1A or ARs.

The are a marvelous concept and do work exactly as advertised.  No more trimming with those cartridges pluss excellent extended case life (drastically delays the onset of incipient head seperation).

Larry Gibson