Author Topic: Mercury recoil suppressor or pipe/lead weight for H&R 1871 Buffalo Classic  (Read 867 times)

Offline Rover44-40

• Trade Count: (0)
Hi,

I haven't fired the gun as yet (too cold and wet outside), but have been thinking about it!

I took a pipe, which fit perfectly in the stock, and filled it with molten lead - 1 1/2 lbs - it cost me $3.00.

Please compare this to the mercury recoil suppressors - cost $50.00.   

Which of the two is more effective?

My load consists of a 405 gr hollow base at 1200 fps.

I would appreciate any advice and comment.

Rover  44-40

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
Your load is pretty mild recoil wise any how I don't think you'll mind shooting that even without help. I have never used the lead in stock drill I have a mercury reducer in my handie .45-70 (not the buff) and it works very well. I think a lot of guys like the lead to help balance the rifle with that long barrel. 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Welcome Rover! There's a thread in the FAQs and Help sticky on that topic, I've used both, a 16oz MRR is more effective than half again more weight used in the same rifle with the same loads IMO, and the dead weight is not as carry friendly as the MRR. ;) You can get a 16oz C&H MRR for $35 from MPC if you're interested, but as Bob said, not necessary at that load level unless maybe you have a bad shoulder, that's pretty mild recoil, Remington factory 405gr loads clock well over 1400fps and they're a pussycat to shoot. I've shot 525gr cast bullets at over 1700fps in my 45-120 BC with a lead filled pipe that weights over 1½lbs in the stock at first, then the MRR, the MRR does a better job at reducing felt recoil, all else being equal.  :)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
Now see what happens when I get a little behind on my reading!?   :-[  This is exactly what I wanted to know!  You come through for me again Tim!   ;D  Now did you try it with BOTH the lead and the MRR?  ???

Oh!  Sorry  :-[  I forgot my manners...  :(  Welcome Rover   ;D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline Buster95

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster

I took a pipe, which fit perfectly in the stock, and filled it with molten lead - 1 1/2 lbs - it cost me $3.00.
Rover  44-40

What is your lead source?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Now did you try it with BOTH the lead and the MRR?  ???

Not together, one at a time.  :D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain