Author Topic: switch from Carry handle to Flattop  (Read 715 times)

Offline v-man

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
switch from Carry handle to Flattop
« on: March 29, 2009, 02:24:32 AM »
I've got a Armalite AR10 with carry handle upper. I love this gun but would like the option of a flattop. What do I need and what are my options? Will other brands fit or will it have to be parts of Armalite manufacture?

Offline kitchawan kid

• Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
Re: switch from Carry handle to Flattop
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 02:30:21 AM »
I made the mistake of getting the hi-rise flat top to clear scopes,much to high and hard to get a good cheek weld,stay with the standard flat top.
N.R.A. life member
N.Y.S.R&P
PUTNAM FISH &GAME ASS.
RAMAPOO RIFLE AND REVOLVER

cowboy action,hunting,target-1911's rule

Offline v-man

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 11:40:29 AM »
Thanks KK. That seems odd to me because I have another RRAR flattop and had to use 1" high rings to find my scope and it's still a hair to low. I chose not to buy the raised flattop cause I didn't like the looks. I kind of wish I had now.
But that doesn't really answer my question about switching from a carry handle to a different upper. Any input will be appreciated.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 12:30:43 PM »
I'm sure no AR expert but do know that uppers either have a flat top or carry handle. If a flat top you can get a bolt on carry handle to add to it as my Charles Daly has that configuration. But if it has a carry handle that isn't bolted onto the flat top rail the only way to convert is to get a new upper.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline v-man

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 02:23:33 PM »
Thanks Bill. I guess one of my points of confusion since this is an AR10 rather than an AR15 is not knowing if if it has to be specifically for an Armalite or specifically for .308 or both. Since the upper contains the bolt assembly I assume it is different from the upper for the .223 but is Armalite the only brand available or do I have other choices? Also will a standard flattop upper allow for the use of a removeable carry handle if desired? I've just recently transitioned from the SKs and AK's to the "black guns" so still got a lot to learn. (but so far I like it !)

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 02:24:43 AM »
Being no expert I hate to say much with certainty but I'm pretty sure that the ARs for the .308 size rounds like those for .223 size rounds are all pretty much interchangeable. I don't know who all makes them but Bushmaster likely do several others like DPMS who I think makes them for Remington.

My guess is that brand isn't a concern so long as the upper is for the .308 size AR.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline backstrap

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 06:47:40 PM »
No there are other companys that make stripped ar10 uppers like DPMS,and yes it has to be for a ar10,and i dont think it matters what make u put on your armalite barrel, and u can put your bolt and chargeing handle in the new flat top upper.and i would think they would make a detachable carry handle for the ar10 flat top,like they do for a ar15
1 shot 1 kill