Author Topic: Ammo for the new AR  (Read 492 times)

Offline billyzink

• Trade Count: (2)
Ammo for the new AR
« on: March 08, 2009, 10:42:49 AM »
I just picked up a Bushmaster Varminter with a 24" 1x9 twist barrell, I will be using this gun for coyote hunting only, at ranges of 300 yards or less. I am not concerned about price of ammo as I will be lucky if I shoot more than 20 rounds a year. I realize that I will have to see what ammo the gun likes best but was hoping I could get some advice as to what would a few different ones to start with. I am looking for the most accurate but also good knock down for yotes. I have no time or desire to reload so factory ammo only. Thanks

Offline sk330lc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (55)
Re: Ammo for the new AR
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 11:52:57 AM »
If you can find the the Hornady 55gr V-Max Loads You should be happy.  The Hornady TAP Loads with the
60gr V-max should do well also.  The problem is finding them. Blackhills Makes some good rounds as well in the 55gr and 60gr V-max .
Good luck.
Be True to What You Hunt!!!!!
SUPPORT THE GBO SERVER
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.0/topicseen.html

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 04:06:55 PM »
id try some black hills 60 grain stuff.
blue lives matter

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 06:33:33 AM »
Billy ,

Congrats on the new toy ;)

My 20" heavy barreled AR likes the 55gr Vmax over the top of a 25 gr charge of Varget  OAL 2.255 these are flat based bullets and thats why i'm thinking the 1 in 9 twist of the ar likes them as well as the 68, 69 and 75 gr bullets i load for the rifle.. But nonetheless im getting penny size groups with that bullet and charge out of my AR

Those Vmax 55 grainers i just recently came into and was surprised by , so give them a look ... If your not reloading ( YOU NEED TO  :P ) then the boys are right that TAP ammo from hornady is in every meaning of the word  AWESOME ...  Mine ( the AR and handi bull barrel ) loves the 75gr TAP , and its what me and the missus used to take my largest hog to date ( 250+lbs) and her Texas dall ram.. and the groups with this round are smaller then the Vmax rounds when im doing my part .

And as always if you need an extra set of eyes looking for you some of that hard to find ammo let me know , you would only be like number 16 that i'm searching for stuff on the net  HeH ..

Good luck with it,

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald Reagan

THE QUICKEST WAY TO ENSLAVE A PEOPLE IS TO DISARM THEM ~ George Mason