Author Topic: Laser Max internal laser sight  (Read 716 times)

Offline ronbow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Laser Max internal laser sight
« on: January 28, 2009, 06:26:15 AM »
I am considering fitting my Beretta M9 with the Laser Max internal laser device. This sight fits into the recoil spring housing. My question is will a laser (cost is over $350) greatly improve my marksmanship ? If so  and since this gun is my truck/camp carry gun, will the laser aquire target as fast as instinctive aiming? I'm not the best pistol shot.

Offline Cottonwood

• Trade Count: (5)
  • "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
Re: Laser Max internal laser sight
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 07:09:13 AM »
I am considering fitting my Beretta M9 with the Laser Max internal laser device. This sight fits into the recoil spring housing. My question is will a laser (cost is over $350) greatly improve my marksmanship ? If so  and since this gun is my truck/camp carry gun, will the laser aquire target as fast as instinctive aiming? I'm not the best pistol shot.

First question I guess would be at what yardage distance do you practice at?  With regular practice one can attain the skills to be quite good at self defense yardages from 7 to 15 yards.

What kind of targets are you practicing with? http://www.pistoleer.com/targets/silhouette

Laser Sights I don't know how much you can increase your accuracy duing daylight hours, as I had even checked into getting Crimson Trace for my S&W 629 but found that the red laser was only gonna be good out to 18 yards during daylight hours.  I have a rail system that is on my new .45 ACP and if I want to install a laser system Laserlyte is a much better price than the $350 for an internal system.

It is really up to you the shooter to practice for proficiancy.   I don't think a laser will make us better shooter, because what are you going to do if your batteries run dry?  The laser can assist you to knowing where your hits are going, in a calm shooting situation but a self defense situation is rarely calm.

Offline VARMONTER

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 05:36:20 PM »
Lasers are not the greatest sight systems.Pratice  instinctivly at different ranges is much better.

I have ct laser grips for my sig.At about 7 yrds they are dead on accurate.But stretch that out or shrink it
up And they are not so great.So Yea if 90 percent of all SD encounters are 3 to 7 yrds then sight your laser
in at that... but be warned it will not be at POI at distances other than that.

That being said Lasers are made for quick SD situations.If you can get the dot on someone before they can get their sights on you ..you win. Even if it's off a couple of inches you can slow em down enough to get a better shot . Plus It can save lives. There is something intimidating about a red dot on your chest.
Which may make a BG think twice ..thus defusing a bad scenario.

AS far as daytime visability my CT sights can be seen plainly at 40 yrds on any given sunny day.
  They really are quite bright.

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 01:28:39 PM »
I have not used one however, my wife has one and loves it. The red dot gives her confidence.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 08:17:20 AM »
I own laser Max and Ct laser sights, to me the CT is not as awkward for on/off as the laser max.

There are pros and cons for almost everything you can think of, laser sight being no exception,  but in my opinion a laser sight is an excellent addition to any sidearm, I think it is important to get use to the orginal sights, and learn how to use them but during low light conditions when they are hard to find the laser sight is a plus.  

Keep in mind, most situations that require the use of a firearm occur at night so the laser sight may be a life saver, $350. is cheap insurance in my opinion. ::) ::)