Author Topic: Scope Advice  (Read 841 times)

Offline davem270win

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Scope Advice
« on: February 06, 2009, 10:51:14 AM »
I'm looking for a scope for a 257 Weatherby. I'm thinking either a Leupold VX3 or a Zeiss Conquest. I've also looked at Shepherd. I'm thinking 3 - 9 or 3.5 - 10, and considering Boone&Crocket/RapidZ/Shepherd Reticle.

Has anyone used these? Are they useful? Will a 50 mm objective do anything but take up more space?

As you can gather, I'm willing to consider spending $600 on a scope.

Thanks

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Scope Advice
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 06:05:39 PM »
If I had the money for it (which I don't) I'd mount a Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16 on mine. Maybe someday when I get to be rich and famous I can afford one for it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Old English

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 12:18:17 AM »
I echo what Greybeard said. I have one of those on my 243, been there for a year now and had some use. They really are a great scope, extremely clear and very bright as well. I got it for the versatility of 2.5-16 zoom. That would be the perfect scope for a 257 WBY. I have the Bushnell 4200 3/9*40 on my 257 and I know it would be a lot better with the 6500. When funds allow I will change it out, the 4200 is a fantastic scope too but lacks the extreme magnification change of the 6500. The 257 Roy would be a perfect fit.
PS, don't know how you feel about Ebay but I ams elling some guitars there now, I checked on the 6500, $520 delievered, a bargain!

Offline sscoyote

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 12:58:43 PM »
If i were setting that rig up i'd go for the Zeiss Conquest and get the Rapid-Z 600. Their system sets u up to adjust the power of the optic to match an intuitive (even hundred yd. interval) system of reticle reference. There are other ways to do it but they're more complicated and take some study to figure out. Go here for study if you're interested in tactical reticle applications--
www.ottllc.com/specialtypistols/sp20.pdf

...besides that if u want to realize the full potential of that rig i'd take a good look at the Zeiss system.

Offline glockman55

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 04:05:48 AM »
GB your already Famous, maybe not rich..Wait a year or two and the 6500 will come down in price, like every thing new. That's the way I have to buy my Optics.
Glock 23  http://obamaclock.org/
Sig. Ultra Compact 1911
Sig. P-232
Sig. P-238

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Out West
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 04:38:39 AM »
I have not seen one of the 6500 yet but if they are a step above the 4200, they must be a great scope. A VX3 is a great scope and you cannot go wrong with one of these. Not sure how they compare to a VX3, but my guess is at minimum they are on par but likly better. Personally, I would not go with a Ziess or Shepard simply becasue I've had such great results with Bushnell and Leupold over the years. I've never owned a Ziess or Shepard but I'm sure they make an excellant product. But Bushy and Leupold have great products. Nikon makes some good stuff and I own a few but in price point compare to quality, I think you get a better product from Bushnell. I purchased the Nikon's becasue I just could not pass up the "fire sale" prices.
Avery Hayden Wallace
Obama Administration: A corrupt criminal enterprise of bold face liars.
The States formed the Union. The Union did not form the States. States Rights!
GET US OUT OF THE UN. NO ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT!
S.A.S.S/NRA Life Member/2nd Amendment Foundation
CCRKBA/Gun Owners of America
California Rifle & Pistol Association
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3

Offline diggler1833

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 02:29:42 AM »
Stay away from the Shepherd.  The Leupy VX-III and Zeiss Conquest are good optics with good glass, I'd personally say that the conquest has better glass.  However, the Leupold VX-III line is now upgrading to the VX-3 line which I believe has the same glass as the VX-L (and they cost more too).  The older VX-III's are becoming a bit harder to come by in the higher magnification. 

Like Graybeard said, you can't go wrong with the Bushnell 6500 2.5-16x42mm.  The Zeiss glass is superior though, but with fewer options that I'd personally look for (side focus/adjustable objective, target turrets).  Plus you can get them for under your budgett.  Here is the best place that I've found, and Scott (the owner) is good to deal with.  You don't have to be rich to afford one Graybeard.

http://www.libertyoptics.com/index1.html?lang=en-us&target=changecurrency.html&lmd=0.5741219861995179

Offline Catfish

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 12:46:37 PM »
I personaly use all Leupold scopes.