Author Topic: The source of my BRD...  (Read 777 times)

Offline Terry C.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I see what you did there...
The source of my BRD...
« on: February 25, 2009, 03:20:51 PM »
I bought this Bushmaster last week. It was a trade in, someone bought it and decided they couldn't keep it. It's been fired, but otherwise in like-new condition.

This is the way it came to me, with one 30-round mag and a scope mount.

The only thing I've done to so far it is attach a sling. I'm not planning any extensive mods, I want to keep it simple and clean.

I've bought a few extra mags, and an Unkle Mike's "Tactical Rifle Case" that can carry the rifle with a 30-round mag inserted, It has a 33" internal length and three mag pockets. The Bushy is 32½" collapsed, so it's about as compact a package as it can be.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: The source of my BRD...
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 01:14:56 AM »
nice. there good guns
blue lives matter

Offline Savage

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 02:03:59 AM »
My first AR was a Bushmaster "Shorty".  Extremely accurate, totally reliable. It's my "Go To" AR!

Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 03:46:55 AM »
Nice Rifle!

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 07:23:03 AM »
I have the same rifle right down to the scope mount.  Bought it about the same way you did.  Guy put a few rounds through it and his left-wing-wacko girly-friend made him sell it.  His loss, my gain.  Great gun and fun as hell to shoot.  I'm keeping it as my KISS gun, irons only, no optics (sold the scope that came with it) as my R-15 is set up for long range.  Someday maybe a Trigicon or something.  By the way BRD is an unforgiving disease...
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline Terry C.

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 12:05:01 PM »
Thanks all.

Buckskin, my wife is pretty cool about my toys (although she does complain that I have too many hobbies). She doesn't care much for any of the centerfire stuff, but she shoots the rimfires occasionally.

I haven't convinced her to try the AR yet, but she really loves firing the cannon!

She doesn't really understand BRD. Yesterday, I got a box of used bandoliers in the mail. When I packed my stash of .233 ammo in the cans, I had a Mini-14 and Ruger brand 20-round mags (the only hicap the Mini was 100% reliable with). So I used 7-pocket bandoliers, which hold two stripper clips in each pocket.

Now that I have the Bushy, and several 30-round mags, I decided to switch a couple of the cans over to 4-pocket bandoliers. These hold three strippers per pocket.

These bandoliers were in very good condition, except they had been packed loose in a box for years and were wrinkled up pretty bad.

It's storming outside, I got nothing better to do, so to make for neater packing, I ironed out the wrinkles.

Wife comes in, sees this, and gives me "that look."

"What?" I say, standing there with a steam iron in my hand...

"You won't iron your clothes, but you'll iron those?"

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 01:05:17 PM »
Now that made me laugh, probably because it sounds familiar.
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline Terry C.

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 01:22:02 PM »
Uh oh, looks like the disease is spreading...

:) :D ;D

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 02:19:34 AM »
Looks like a low grade fever to me, it's going to get a lot worse. ;D
Buckskin

Offline Terry C.

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 07:54:26 AM »
New pic (clickable) ...

With the exception of the first one on the left (which came with the rifle) all of the 30-round mags were bought new, still sealed in their plastic bags.

OTOH the 20-round mags are old milsurp Colt and Simmonds, well used but no dents or other visible damage and good strong springs. I stripped and refinished all of them with a dry moly spray, except for one (back row, far left) that still had most of the original finish.

In the previous photo of the mags, five of the 20-rounders already had their finish stripped off, the one on the far right still had its original moly coat.

Alone, they all looked exactly alike. Weird how they would pick up the color of the 30-round mags spread out in front of them. Photographic artifact?