Author Topic: New to Defensive Carry  (Read 1289 times)

Offline DEPUTY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://MGOUC.COM
New to Defensive Carry
« on: December 15, 2002, 04:38:31 PM »
welcome! first and foremost! find a load that is reliable and accurate in all your guns listed!  second get good trining form a certiifed instructor in your area and even some advance training if possible!! next off join a pro 2a group!  ok now to the serious stuff in my snubbies i carry rbcd ammo! quite expensive but just awesome! in the 9mm i like a good mix of speed and weight ! i usually carry some 124 grain +P+ ammo! in the forty i like the 165 loads! or rbcd ammo again!! or  golden sabers or gold dots! the thing to remember is shot placement is key! tell me if i hit you with 2 rounds of 9mm or 2 rnds of 45 between the shirt pockets will you be able to tell the diference? there is only one degree of dead!  practice at various real world distances ! shoot a idpa match!  i practice at least 3 times a week besides dept qualifications, and teaching 3 classes a month! i shoot about 2000 rnds a month! :grin:

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Defense loads
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2002, 05:35:28 AM »
Hay Tiger - nice to see someone new.  For your 38, try some 200 grain SWCs over factory charges of WW231.  For the 9mm, go with 115 grain +P+s or 125 grain +Ps.  For your 40 short and weak, anything from a 135 grain flying ashtray to the 180 grain soft point will work.

You're talking some serious carry hardware here.  Are you in Police work or carry as a private citizen?  If the later, your 38 may be your easiest choice, especially if you do not plan on getting involved in any running gun battles with drug dealers, foreign agents or terroristas (including touristas).  If you are in Police work and carry as part of your daily duty requirements, carry the same caliber your department requires.  

When I am not lugging my 45 around, I slip my sweet little Model 38 right into my pocket and feel very comfortable going anywhere.  Your 92F is a big gun and I think your Millenium may be also.  If I was carrying one of your larger two I would carry the ammo listed above.  With the 38 I go with my 200 grainers.

Hope this helps. Mikey.

Offline leadbutt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
New to Defensive Carry
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2002, 01:40:16 PM »
Number one rule never ever carry hand loads or reloads for self defense stay with factory, don't give them any thing to chew you up on.
Tiger for the 9mm try a few different ones  115's 124's 147's and such.
in the 40 try the 165 or 135 cor-bon's in the 38 try the 158 SWCLHP+p/ the old FBI/ Chicago load.That one will work in just about 2" 38 belly gun
"Just another day in Oz"