Author Topic: Lee Lube and Sizing Kit  (Read 1572 times)

Offline brad925

• Trade Count: (0)
Lee Lube and Sizing Kit
« on: March 09, 2009, 07:34:19 AM »
Has anyone used one of these for sizing and lubing and does the liquid alox lube work well?

Offline kitchawan kid

• Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Lee Lube and Sizing Kit
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 07:38:53 AM »
I have one in .452 works good,low cost.the lube takes getting used to not filling the rings.
N.R.A. life member
N.Y.S.R&P
PUTNAM FISH &GAME ASS.
RAMAPOO RIFLE AND REVOLVER

cowboy action,hunting,target-1911's rule

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 01:08:23 PM »
I have several and the work just fine, For the money its hard to beat The alox lube works very well but is a little messy. 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline Tn Jim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 12:45:36 AM »
+1 on being messy. Also, don't get the finished rounds anywhere near dirt. The Alox never completely dries and dirt will stick to it. If you drop a round get all the crap off of it before you fire it. On the plus side, you don't need nose punches for your bullets because the Lee sizers let the bullet go through nose first. They also seat gas checks if you need them to.
Not all Muslims are terrorist, but oddly enough, all terrorist are Muslims.

Offline brad925

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 06:07:42 AM »
Can i just size them dry and pan lube instead of using liquid alox or do i needto lube them a bit with maybe a little case lube?

Offline kitchawan kid

• Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 06:59:46 AM »
Lee recommens not to use without the lube as they will lead the die.
N.R.A. life member
N.Y.S.R&P
PUTNAM FISH &GAME ASS.
RAMAPOO RIFLE AND REVOLVER

cowboy action,hunting,target-1911's rule

Offline Castaway

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 08:59:57 AM »
My technique is to shake the bullets in a tub with Alox, let dry overnight, then size.  Afterwards, I lube and shake again in the tub, let them sit over night, shake again before I go to work, again when I get home and continue that until the tackiness is to a point that it won't get any dryer.  Experience will tell you when, weather conditions determine how long.  I used to stack them on wax paper until they dried but it was too labor intensive for me.

Offline Badnews Bob

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 11:23:31 AM »
I tried useing a cheap Lee C press to size mine and it would flex so bad it would off center the bullet, The Lee O press works great for it thou and don't cost hardley anything. 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 11:40:11 AM »
Have not used the sizers , but go through bottles of the Alox , found a trick for doing that , take a 20oz pop bottle and put about 100 bullets in it , add the lube , put on the cap and shake like a can of spray paint .

Does a great job of coating the bullets , once thats done I just pour them out on a peice of waxed paper to dry over night . I do this for .22 .41 .44 and .45 cal bullets and have not had a problem yet .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline blhof

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 01:46:07 PM »
I have several of the Lee sizers too.  Alox is a mess as stated above.  I still use it for 9mm bulk lubing.  I use the Lee sizers with LBT blue lube by hand rubbing on the lube prior to sizing, lube the lot, placing in a clean container, then run through the sizer.

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 05:03:41 AM »
I use this setup for the majority of my plinker rounds.

For me it's a no-brainer. Dump them in, shake around, let dry.

One thing I have been doing over the past 10 0r 12 years is thinning the Alox with mineral spirits.
I lube before sizing and after. One additional benefit of the lube is it helps keep the gas check in place until it's seated.

For the most part it works great and I'm a cheapo. ;D

OF
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 09:39:24 AM »
  I have used the Lee Alox on 30 and 35 caliber bullets  at over 2000 fps with great accuracy and NO leading. It works on bullets from .22 to .45 caliber at these speeds. WW alloy and gas checks, of course. I use a "Cool Whip" tub to whirl the bullets around in to cover them with alox. I will often size and gas check bullets ,THEN put them in another tub with a bit of talcum powder. Whirl them a few seconds to cover the alox and load them. This limits the "stickiness" of the alox and makes the bullets better to handle. I have had some problems with seating checks with the Lee sizer though. It seems to push the checks OFF rather than squeeze them onto the bullets base.  I DID read the directions TWICE and it still happens quite often.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2009, 02:07:36 PM »
I have 5 or 5more lee push through sizers.

They are very easy to open up to a particular diamter as needed (with a lathe or ...).

I tumble the bullets in a 2 lb plastic peanut jar.  Leave the lid open overnight to somewhat dry.  Then pour into another and add motor mica and tumble again.  Non sticky.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2009, 09:55:29 AM »
I've used the Lee sizers without the Alox lube but I did case lube to run the bullets through the sizer. I sometimes "pan lube" and seat gaschecks with the Lee sizer. Works great.

I have no complaints with Alox lube only it tends to smoke a little. Never had any drying problems, maybe because I cut the Alox with a bit of Mineral Spirits and do 2 or more coats.  Only used in my 45 ACP, 44 Mag/Spec. and 38/357 mag.

Offline brad925

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2009, 06:56:33 AM »
Friend of mine drys his lubed bullets in his wifes dehydrater......i mean his dehydrater now LOL. He says it works great!

Offline Anduril

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2009, 12:07:20 PM »
We are talking about tumble lube (TL) bullet design here, aren't we?

I have pan lubed my TL bullets & then run them thru a Lee push through die.

If your barrel groove diameter & your bullets are compatable you can skip the sizing step.

I am told you can decrease the mess (and increase the fiddle factor) by holding onto the bullet nose with your fingers and dipping into a container of Alox and standing it on wax paper to dry.

Some guys have good luck with Lee Liquid Alox on non-TL bullets, but I haven't tried it.

Offline zacharoo

• Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2009, 12:14:59 PM »
Can you take a sized and lubed .454 bullet and down size it to .452 with out other lube besides what is already on the bullet?

Offline gypsyman

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2009, 03:44:26 PM »
There are several bullets I shoot, as cast. So, using my Redding/Saeco sizer, I swing the gas check seater out, so all I'm doing is seating the gas check on the bullet. Not sizing it. I have a 5qt. ice cream bucket, and I'll put several hundred bullets into it. I don't thin the Lee alox, but put it in something like a CoolWhip plastic container, with extremely hot water. In fact, I might change it after a couple minute's, just to make sure it's really hot.This makes the alox runny.Squirt a little in the container. Roll the container around a few times to coat the bullets.Then I'll dump them into a cardboard box with wax paper on the bottom. Let them cool off and dry about 20-30 minutes, then roll the box back and forth a couple times, just to keep the bullets from sticking on one side. Then, after a day or so, put them into cigar box's until ready to load. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline Badnews Bob

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2009, 03:54:58 AM »
We are talking about tumble lube (TL) bullet design here, aren't we?

I have pan lubed my TL bullets & then run them thru a Lee push through die.

If your barrel groove diameter & your bullets are compatable you can skip the sizing step.

I am told you can decrease the mess (and increase the fiddle factor) by holding onto the bullet nose with your fingers and dipping into a container of Alox and standing it on wax paper to dry.

Some guys have good luck with Lee Liquid Alox on non-TL bullets, but I haven't tried it.

Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline Badnews Bob

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2009, 03:57:07 AM »
Tumble lubing work with any kind of bullet not just Lee TL style, I have just purchased a saeco lubrisizer so that may change. But TLing works well for me. 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired