Author Topic: 45 acp 200 swc lead question  (Read 365 times)

Offline Prebanpaul

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
45 acp 200 swc lead question
« on: March 18, 2009, 08:41:36 PM »
I am loading 200 grn swc in my 45 acp.  In my loading manual it states that my min length is 1.19.   my load is reaching a length of 1.29.  The round is chambering fine. It also will load in my magainze fine.  The problem is that if you try and eject a live round it is very difficult.  There is a mark on the nose of the bullet.

This is the first swc that i have loaded.  Due to price i have changed over from a fmj.  I am just wondering if this is normal to have a lead bullet be a little tough to un chamber.  Or am i missing something.

By the way in case this helps i am loading this on a dillon square deal press.

Paul
LUCK when preperation meets opportunity.

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
Re: 45 acp 200 swc lead question
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 09:12:59 PM »
The bullet you are using is either seated out to far, or is not designed for use in a .45 ACP.  The bullet should not be jammed so hard into the rifling so hard as to be hard to eject.  I am sure it is raising you pressures.  Some bullets designed for the .45 Long Colt are not suited to use in the ACP, even though they are "45's".  Usually a 200 grn. semi wadcutter bullet for the ACP will be .451 / .452 diamiter, with a short bearing surface, and a relativley long, thin nose.  The bullet shoud be seated with the top of the bearing surface flush with the top of the case, using a taper crimp.  Hope this helps, and sorry for the lack of spell checker...

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline rbwillnj

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 02:58:29 AM »
Not all 200 grain SWCs are created equal...or at least the same.  There are many different shapes, and it will have an affect on the OAL.   Just load them so that the shoulder is slightly above the case mouth,  ....about the thickness of you thumbnail.

Some very short nose SWC's have to be set further out to feed properly.   If you are going to do this, then with the barrel out of the gun, drop a round in the chamber and make sure it goes in far enough so that the end of the case is even with, or slightly below the end of the barrel hood.

Offline Savage

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 01:22:09 PM »
Yep, been there. The loaded round is too long to clear the ejection port. Any reason you can't go with a shorter OAL?
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Prebanpaul

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 06:29:43 PM »
no reason dropped it by .005 of an inch and everthing is working fine.  Thanks for the info
LUCK when preperation meets opportunity.

Offline woodchuckssuck

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 05:07:56 PM »
I load my 200gr swc to 1.240" with great success. I crimp to .471, using winchester brass. Great loads, and cheap...roughtly $5/50!!! My Loading equipment was payed off in only 10 boxes of ammo...great, aint it? :)