Author Topic: Making 350 Rem Mag Brass from 7 mm Rem Mag Brass  (Read 1903 times)

Offline La Rebel

• Trade Count: (0)
Making 350 Rem Mag Brass from 7 mm Rem Mag Brass
« on: March 17, 2009, 07:41:25 AM »
I'm new to reloading and I'm having trouble finding affordable 350 brass. The 7 mag is the parent case for the 350 so I know this can be done. Has anyone here done this? & mag case length is 2.5" and 350 is 2.170". What's the best way to cut the case to length? I would assume I would have to cut the case a little longer than 2.170" to allow for forming the shoulder. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Offline wncchester

Re: Making 350 Rem Mag Brass from 7 mm Rem Mag Brass
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 11:40:46 AM »
I've done quite a bit of case reforming but haven't done that.  But, it sure shouldn't be difficult, as case forming goes.  Push the long 7mm into the short .350 die without the decap/expander rod in place.  Trim the neck to near final length with a cut-off tool of some sort.  Run the expander in it, then anneal the neck and turn it to proper thickness.  Trim to final length on a case trimmer.  Chamfer, deburr, you're done.

Yeah, sounds good.  All except that first "trim" cut, right?  Several options for that.

Best is to use a standard case trimming die, a fine tooth hacksaw, and mill file to finish.  Can be hard to find the dies tho.  I'm lucky enough to own my own metal lathe now so I make my own trim dies, I just cut a standard sizer die to the right length (carbide cutter bits are needed for doing that).

Before the lathe came into my life, I cut excess neck length with a high speed grinder with a 1/16th inch thick cut-off wheel, held in a vise.  Just hand hold the cases to feed them in.  It works but you need a grinder and fairly large machinist's vise to do it.

Before the grinder and big vise came into my life, I cut excess neck length with a hand held Dremel tool and small cut-off wheels.  With care it can be done, and done safely too.

It's a shame the .350RM has faded so badly, it is a GOOD round.  Much better than many seem to understand.  Ditto the old .35 Whelen.  But,....there's no magazine or TV glamor to them so the sales have stumbled to nearly nothing.  The only thing getting publicity and market share today is the ultra-long range craze.  And that's very unrealistic even if it looks/sounds really "cool."  Oh, well....?

Good luck!
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline OR-E-Gun Bill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 03:42:48 PM »
At least you can still find .350 Rem Mag brass.

http://www.grafs.com/metallic/824

Tried Mid-South but can't get em' to load up tonight.
EDIT: Added Mid-South link - http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0005023284100

Not cheap, yet not much more than the 7mm Rem Mag, but I doubt much else will be either when and if they ever start restocking again.

Bill

Offline Catfish

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 12:59:54 PM »
Froming brass is an art and starting with one that requires so much work is something I would not recomand, but if you have to you have to. I would recomand pay more for formed brass if you can find it at all.

Offline La Rebel

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 03:11:05 PM »
Thanks for the responses guys. I'll keep your instructions wncchester but, I've decided to take Catfish's advice and pay the price for new brass. I have both a 7 Mag & the new 350 Mag Encore I just bought so I was looking for a cheap way out.

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 04:03:44 PM »
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=607119
  This die will get you going fairly quick. A Jewelers saw and a fine file will have correct length cases in your hand in minutes. I have used file trim dies to make 6mmRem cases from 7mm Mauser and 257 Roberts. IF you need to turn the necks, there is a neck ream die also available. Turning is USUALLY not needed going up in caliber as you stretch the brass thinner. When you size DOWN is when the necks thicken. In any case, YOU HAVE to measure the necks for proper fit in YOUR gun! Reaming IS a better way to thin cases necks then turning because you do not chance cutting into the shoulder. Which weakens the case and is a safety concern!