Author Topic: Entry level long range scope - need help from those who know  (Read 2243 times)

Offline scootrd

• Trade Count: (0)
Entry level long range scope - need help from those who know
« on: February 22, 2009, 02:26:14 PM »
Looking for an entry level long range scope right around $200.00 ,
Have never purchased anything over a 3-9x40

Does anyone have any experience with the following they could share? really starting from scratch here knowledge -wise
what calibers can I expect they will hold up to ?  22-250 , 243, 7mm-08 , 270 , 30-06? 

I'm leaning towards the new Burris Timberline for its compactness unless someone in the Know can share reason why I should not.

Burris Timberline 4.5-14x32 Riflescope  Balistic plex
bushnell legend 4-12x40 Riflescope Matte Multi-X
bushnell legend 5-15x40 Rifle Scope Matte Mil Dot
Mueller APV 4.5–14×40 AO
Simmons AETEC 4-14x44 SF Master Series Rifle Scopes w/ Truplex Reticle
Mueller 8.5-25×44AO Tactical
"if your old flathead doesn't leak you are out of oil"
"I have strong feelings about gun control. If there is a gun around I want to be controlling it." - Clint Eastwood
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjaman Franklin
"It's better to be hated for who you are , then loved for who your not." - Van Zant

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
Re: Entry level long range scope - need help from those who know
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 12:38:25 AM »
I do not have any experience with the Burris line of scopes. I do know that the Timber Line is their value line. I work with a guy who swears by the Full Field II scopes, but in the lower powers (3X-9X). I do have knowledge of both Mueller scopes you mentioned and have quite a few Bushnell scopes, but not any Legends. For your purpose, I think the Mueller 8.5-25X44AO tactical would work well on your 22-250 and 243. They are a long range scope and the one I have seems to be holding up well. I know Dale had one on his 243 Remington and he was able to shoot very well with it at long range. They are a bit too much for your "deer" rifles; both in power and size in my opinion. I think I would go with one of the Bushnell Legend scopes for your deer rifles. Buy the one you feel the most comfortable with (mil dot or multi-plex). I have several Bushnell Banner scopes and a couple of the Elite 3200 scopes. By my experience with the other Bushnell scopes I have, I think the Legend scopes should hold up well for you. Just my 2 cents worth.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline scootrd

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 04:03:01 AM »
The long range scope is not for my Deer Rifle .. I use a 2-7x32 Bushnell elite 3200 on my Remmy .
This would be for an inexpensive Varmint/Target setup out to 500 yards, and probably using a .223 or 22-250 caliber .
I was just wondering what the expectations should be for how much recoil a long range entry level scope should
be able to handle.

"I have strong feelings about gun control. If there is a gun around I want to be controlling it." - Clint Eastwood
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjaman Franklin
"It's better to be hated for who you are , then loved for who your not." - Van Zant

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 01:42:41 PM »
Get the 8.5X25X44 Mueller then. For the money you just can not go wrong. Well under $200 including shipping.

BTW I do not use mine on 25 power, I rarely use it about 16X and the mil dots are nice for long range shooting. If you want to reach out there 25X is nice if you have a real solid rest. I wish they made a mil-dot on the APV - I have 3 of those and they are real nice scopes, I do not have them mounted on any thing that kicks hard...A 10/22; a 22 mag bolt and a 22 Hornet bolt, but they seem to be a real solid set - up.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 02:29:58 AM »
You may want to look for a used nikon buckmaster on ebay.  I don't have any experience with the other scopes you mentioned but I have done some long range work with both a nikon buckmaster 4-14 & 6-18.

Offline scootrd

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 06:58:13 AM »
I've no Doubt Nikon are Great scopes but they are well over my $200.00 price point. 
I'm looking to create an inexpensive Entry level package for a young Kid as a gift.
3-500.00 for rifle , 200.00 for scope.   

If this was for me I would take a different approach and probably a Bushnell Elite, Leupold, or  something along those lines maybe even a Nikon.

I've narrowed my "entry level" long range scope choices down to 3. I'm leaning towards the Burris or the Bushnell.
Again if anyone has knowledge of any of the 3 specifically the new Burris Timberline's please post.

Burris Timberline 4.5-14x32 Riflescope  Balistic plex  $199.00
Bushnell legend 4-12x40 Riflescope Matte Multi-X $158.00
Mueller APV 4.5–14×40 AO $129.00

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 07:16:38 AM »
Have you gone to midway's website and looked up reviews for each of those scopes?  That's usually the first place I look and there will be more reviews for the exact scopes you want to know about.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 07:32:15 AM »
There are LOTS of reviews on the Mueller APV here on GBO, just use the search for Mueller APV. The black matte version is available shipped for $115 from at least two Mueller dealers, Eabco and Missou Mule. If you want more features for $160, the Brown 97 is an upgraded version of the APV, there are several reviews on it here too. I know I may have just complicated your search, but I had to do it, the APV and the Brown97D are a couple of the best buys in entry level optics available since their quality puts them up a step or two at an entry level price.  ;)

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,132102.msg1098494689.html#msg1098494689

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php?action=search
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline scootrd

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 08:53:17 AM »
Thanks to all who have provided input , I also went out and read reviews on Midway as suggested.

I think I've decided on the Burris Timberline 4.5-14x32 Riflescope  Balistic plex even though not a lot of reviews out there .. those that were  are very favorable:

What went into my over all decision ,
Overall all , a more compact package (length and weight) than the Banner (x32 objective lens rather than a x40 )
that can be mounted lower, and will fit nicer on a smaller rifle.
like the Banner has an Adjustable objective, Adjustment Click Value: 1/8 MOA Eye Relief: 3.75-5", weight 15 oz
Has Burris warranty (I have had good luck with Burris over the years, only used their warranty twice and they have treated me fairly,
 though I still favor Bushnells on my personal rifles never had to use the warranty ...knock on wood )
Stays within my projected Budget

Thank you all for your input.
anyone want to chime in on a good 223 or 22-250 youth rifle within the 3-500.00 range? a good quality Used rifle is not out of the question either.

Offline Big Al in Nebr

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 08:53:05 AM »
can't beat a Savage in the price range and calibers you listed.  My Mod. 10 in .223 with a Mueller shoots almost as well as my brother's Cooper with a Leupold for under 1/3 of the cost.  We were shooting prairie dogs together and he kept muttering about how much more I could shoot because I didn't spend it all on a rifle and scope..

Offline Catfish

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 01:53:18 PM »
My long range set up in a .22 - 6mm with an 8 1/2 x 25 Leupold with side focus. It is set up to shoot as far as I can get a range on my target. 500 yrds. with a .223 is very do able and should be a give me with a .22-250 and a good range finder. In the field most of my shooting is with the scope set on 8 1/2 X. For 500 yrd. field shooting you will need nothing over 12X, and a fixed 12x would be a good choice. To do it right you should also have target knobs so that you can easily set your range. You will also have to figure out your wind drift. I personally do not dial it in, but use mil-dots for windage. I would also recomand you get a Leupold scope.

Offline sscoyote

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2009, 06:34:12 PM »
That is also the way i apply the MD reticle when accompanied with a turret--reticle for windage and turret for elevation. I have a 6-18x Nikon Buckmasters mil-dot on a 17 Fireball XP-100 handgun that i use for prairie dog shooting to about 500 yds. This rig and the system i've established for it have been responsible for a few 1st shot connections at that range in some wind using the el cheapo 25 Hornady HP.

When it cames to teaching a kid long-range shooting systems, i usually start them off with what they probably already have--usually a Simmons, Tasco or Bushnell with a plex-style reticle.

Offline diggler1833

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2009, 02:03:43 AM »
Entry level long range? Bushnell 3200 10x for your $200 limit.  They advertise 100MOA of adjustment, but more often than not people get around 80.  That is still just enough to take a .308 to 1K if you don't burn any elevation on zeroing the scope.  It has target turrets, rainguard, mildot reticle, and is generally more repeatable with better tracking than most scopes in the $200 range.

Offline diggler1833

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2009, 02:10:16 AM »
Found it.  Here you go, some reading material from somebody who made their living on long range shooting/hunting.  http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/low-priced-long-range-scopes.php

Hope this helps.

Offline cbshunter

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2009, 09:37:33 AM »
what will be good price point to get a high quality long range scope without paying brand premium?  Any recommendation on brands that are for lay people like us?

Offline diggler1833

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2009, 03:41:38 PM »
Check out the Vortex Viper series.  They are relatively new, but a solid optic, and cheaper with good glass.

Bad news about all of it is...you usually get what you pay for.  IMO Leupold is starting to get way overpriced and falling back on reputation.  If you have a bit more coin in the pocket check out the Sightron SIII, I did and it sold me on one.  They aren't cheap, but cheaper than most of the big time guys.

There is a reason why the military uses S&B, Nightforce, I've seen a USO, and Leupold.  A lot of the extra cost goes into craftsmanship.  We don't issue out anything that isn't realtively bomb-proof.