Author Topic: Subsonic loads for 30-06  (Read 1724 times)

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Subsonic loads for 30-06
« on: March 27, 2009, 07:50:38 PM »
Have a suppressor on order for my 30-06.  Want to develop a subsonic load so there is only a whisper when I shoot the gun.  I know it can be done, because I was at the range last week and a guy there had a suppressor on his .308.  When he fired there was only a whisper, like you see in the movies, just a little sound of air moving.  The bullet hitting cardboard at 100 yards made a louder noise than the gun did.  I asked about his load, and he told me he was using Trail Boss.  I did not think to ask how much he was using, and what bullet he was shooting.

Has anyone out there worked up a light load like this.  Rog
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Subsonic loads for 30-06
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 01:05:52 AM »
 I played with this in smaller case's. and found that the heaviest for caliber bullets seemed to work best.
150Gr& 170gr .311 bullets meant for the 7.7/303/7.65 rifles in the 32-20 for example... :o ;D

The '06 is a fairly large case, so I would think that would make things more difficult. But 250Gr lead and trail boss or XMP 5744 would be the place I would start.

This sounds like a fun project, let us know how it works for you!!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 02:10:45 AM »
What id try is a 150 jacketed. Id suggest lead if it wasnt for the fact your using a suppressor and lead bullet shooting is going to be a bit messy and demand you clean it often. Id start with 12 grains of unique and go backwards a half a grain at a time until you get a velocity that subsonic. But you will have to keep in mind that jacketed bullet pushed slow have a tendency to stick in the barrel so make sure you are at a high enough level to prevent this. Cast would be easier as they can be loaded slower without sticking but then again your back to the mess. Going any heavier isnt going to help much as you still have to get it fast enough to get it out of the barrel reliably and it will just take more powder to do it. Id also look at something with a thinner jacket like a sierra. It might allow you to go a little lower in velocity then a thicker jacketed bullet would. Might even be a good time to look at moly coating jacketed bullets to reduce friction.
blue lives matter

Offline huntswithdogs

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 03:57:44 AM »
Our local police force is on a deer control kick. They're using a suppressed 300 Whisper. A friend, who's one of our local badge toters, tells me it's aptly named.

How would someone go about keeping the powder down next to the primer in an 06? Cornmeal or some kind of stuffing material?

Offline frankkj

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 04:16:12 AM »
Cornmeal or some kind of stuffing material?

Maybe a tuft of Dacron or toilet tissue, but NOT cornmeal. The weight of anything added to restrict powder movement, must be added to the weight of the projecta. This could be considerable with light powder charges in a large capacity case.

There used to be a product manufactured just for this purpose. Sorry, but I don't remember the name. I don't think it is available anymore anyway.

Please be careful with any buffering, or other added materials.

Frank

North of 60 and still goin' strong. Just not quite as fast, nor quite as strong!

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 10:14:29 AM »
Fellows thats the reason for using Trail Boss.  It was developed for large capacity, low pressure cases.  It is high volume, compared with the amount of pressure received with the burn.  Since I have never loaded Trail Boss, I was hoping someone here had. 

Unique, and other pistol powders are definitely out since high pressures can develop and be explosive when the powder is not next to the primer.  The 06 is a big case, therefore I definitely need a high volume low pressure powder.

For a comparison to the sound I am talking about.  Take a .22 RF rifle, load standard .22 Long Rifle ammo and shoot.  Then take CCI CB Caps, put in same rifle and shoot.  The firing pin falling will be the loudest noise you hear till the bullet hits the target.  The bullet strike will be the loudest sound, far louder than the cartridge going off.  It's the same way with this suppressed .308 I was talking about.  Just a little whisper when fired, then an audible snap when the bullet strikes the target.   
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline mattmillerrx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 03:24:46 PM »
I have some loaded now but have not had a chance to try it out.  The info is in the Jan 07 issue of Guns.  Here is the loads from there:

TRAIL BOSS .30-06 PLINKING LOADS
WITH 165-GRAIN CAST BULLET
CHARGE VELOCITY
(GRAINS WEIGHT) (FPS)
7                         920
8                         1,009
9                         1,112
10                       1,141

I loaded from 7 to 10 with laser cast bullets 170gr however they all weight 165 despite the labeling.  I have also seen were folks have gone as high as 15gr but have not seen in any article or anything like I have here.  Try these loads at your own risk as the factory does not recommend its use in this manner.  I met a guy using 9 gr in 308 with a subsonic load as well that was with jacketed bullets too.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 03:46:29 PM »
fillers might clog up your suppressor

i would try a chamber adapter....32h&r mag, mi carbine 32 smith&weaaon  ect/match it to handgun you load for
reload these  rounds with the heavyest bullet available that is accurate /use regular handgun loads in a pinch
preferably cast  as a jacket may seperate a low speeds
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2009, 02:16:02 AM »
fillers might clog up your suppressor

i would try a chamber adapter....32h&r mag, mi carbine 32 smith&weaaon  etc/match it to handgun you load for
reload these  rounds with the heaviest bullet available that is accurate /use regular handgun loads in a pinch
preferably cast  as a jacket may separate a low speeds
A chamber insert was the first thing I thought of as well. But I didn't think that was what Roger was looking for. You are spot on correct though, this would be easily subsonic.

BTW, Hard cast lead, IE Linotype, will not muck up a suppressor. Depending of the make, the case lube could cause issue though. I didn't think on that before my first post.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline troy_mclure

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2009, 02:48:11 AM »
you could also use plated bullets like rainier ballistics or Berry's, they have less "stickage" than standard jacketed, and are meant for slower loads.

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2009, 11:30:29 AM »
Finally found the load I am looking for.  Using the 170gr Speer 30-30 blunt nose bullet, And starting with 9.5grs Trail Boss.
What Is A Veteran?

Offline mattmillerrx

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2009, 02:13:27 PM »
I tested mine today.  10gr with a similar bullet work pretty good for me group measured a little over 2 in in my 03a3.  Were did you get your info from?  I see your starting load what max do you have listed?  All the loads tested from 7 to 10 gr were under 3 in groups and the 7's felt like shooting a .22Lr.  I am thinking of using the 10 gr load with the laser cast bullets as a practice load for the match I am shooting in and save the more expensive jacketed bullets for the match.  I have some of the plated 30-30 bullets from berry's coming they are 150 gr.  I will play with them as well and see what trail boss will do.  Any one seen any type of loads for 150 gr 30-06 with trail boss?

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2009, 03:14:57 PM »
Matt:  Got the info as a starting load from a friend.  She works with some military guys that specialize in this sort of thing.  They gave her this load for me to start with.  I will then tweak it up or down to get where I want.  Too much pressure is not the problem, making sure the bullet makes it out the barrel is.
What Is A Veteran?

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2009, 12:24:19 PM »
Went to all the stores in town today that carry reloading supplies.  No one has any trail Boss.  Sportsmans only has five 1lb cans of powder on all their shelves.
What Is A Veteran?

Offline 243dave

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2009, 01:17:25 PM »
Check out this article from Paco Kelly, it was written before trail boss came out, the article involves several different cartridges from 22 hornet to 45-70(30-06 too). Most of his recipes are with cast bullets and several different shotgun/pistol powders. Might not be what your looking for but its a good read anyway.  http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/small_charges.htm