Author Topic: Military 5.56 brass questions  (Read 765 times)

Offline Masterblaster1

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
Military 5.56 brass questions
« on: March 22, 2009, 08:11:38 AM »
Ok so I have some military 5.56x45mm brass which is headstamped LC 02 with crosshair. I understand this is lake city arsenal 2002 manufacture. Is the circular indentation around the the primer pocket the military crimp? Furthermore can it be remove with a dremel or case chamfering tool? Also I have some brass that is marked HSM 06 5.56 with crosshair, is this military or what? Maybe I should consider dumping all this military stuff....

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
Re: Military 5.56 brass questions
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 10:00:32 AM »
If it marked 5.56 it is Mil surp, Don't dump it unless you give it to me. ;) It is very good brass and a case chamfering tool will debur the primer hole, You only do it once then no worries. If you don't want to bother I'll take it off your hands.  8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 10:10:36 AM »
I am not familiar with all the different military head stamps. I know there are some foreign governments that make the 5.56X45 cases. I also know that LC is Lake City and is domestic military. I am not sure what the origin of the HSM head stamp is. I saw this on the internet - "HSM is Hunting Shack Munitions in Montana. They do a lot of custom ammo for LE agencies, etc." I have some cases that are LC 06 with another marking on them - maybe the cross hair you are referring too. I would have to defer more expert opinions on this and the HSM head stamp. As far as the ring around the primer pocket, you do need to remove it. You can swedge it out or you can buy tools that cut it out. I use a chamfer tool to remove it. I use a hand toll and only cut it enough to remove the portion that protrudes into the pocket. I have never had a problem with it removing too much material or with primers backing out of the pocket. Do not use a powered chamfer tool - you can remove too much material. Take it slow and remove only what you need too. BTW LC is one of the best cases you can get. Above Winchester and Remington and just about any other military case you can lay your hands on. Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline MZ5

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 12:09:19 PM »
HSM is, as stated, a company in Montana that manufactures ammunition.  IIRC, their ammo (or at least a portion of it?) is re-manufactured.  That's probably why their brass has the NATO cross on it.

I have a fair amount of mixed military brass from surplus loaded ammo I've purchased and shot.  Various years from LC, some TZZ (who is TZZ?), a little WCC.  It all weighs the same as most of my PMC brass, though I do have a few leftover PMCs which are WAY heavier than the rest.  Interestingly, my FC (Federal Cartridge) brass is a few to several grains heavier than the surplus and most PMC brass I have.

Offline ncsurveyor

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 12:15:43 PM »
....... some TZZ (who is TZZ?), ............

I believe that is Israeli.  Got some for a 45acp.  Good stuff.  Very Kosher.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 02:29:00 PM »
I definitely would not toss it. As stated its good stuff...

I much prefer to sewage the pockets. RCBS and DILLON both make great tools for this. I too have used the Lil' "rocket ship" deburr tool to remove the crimp, but if you get carried away (read not experienced) you can remove too much material and ruin a perfectly good case.

To each his own, but being that your new to this, I recommend the swager.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Badnews Bob

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 03:01:52 PM »

I much prefer to sewage the pockets.

Thats just strange there CW. ;D
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 03:25:00 PM »

That's just strange there CW. ;D

GREAT spell checker huh...LOL  ::) ::) ::)   Of coarse I meant SWEAGE!!  :-[ :-[ :-[
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Badnews Bob

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2009, 03:32:22 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline Skunk

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2009, 03:47:24 PM »

Thats just strange there CW. ;D

I figured that if CW said it, it had to be right. ;) I didn't even question it. Just figured I'd look into it and start sewaging my pockets too. ;D Just funning you CW. You've probably forgotten more about reloading than I'll ever know.
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline fastbike

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 08:49:16 AM »
A pocket knife will also work if one doesn't want to buy another tool.

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 09:18:34 AM »
Boxer primed military brass is all good stuff.  (Please note that I said brass.)  I have the RCBS swage tool that works in the press.  It does a good job.  I also have the RCBS Trim Mate tool with the primer pocket uniforming tools.  It does a better job, but you have a lot of $$ into the tool. 

Military brass does take more prep, but the lower cost usually makes up for the extra work.  Like some of the others before me said, "if you don't want it, make sure you toss it MY way!"

Steve :)
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline Tn Jim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2009, 05:18:20 PM »
I've done a few thousand military 556 cases with the RCBS swager. Worked like a charm every time. All the mil surp cases are good, but I like the Lake City stuff the best. The only thing I can say about any of it is they seem to run a little long. Check the length on them before you start reloading them.
Not all Muslims are terrorist, but oddly enough, all terrorist are Muslims.