Author Topic: .45 long colt for brush gun  (Read 976 times)

Offline navygunner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
.45 long colt for brush gun
« on: July 18, 2009, 02:55:56 PM »
I would like to use the 45 long colt pedersoli "baby rolling Block" as a brush gun. Has anyone used this cartridge for deer or know anything about this rifle. Thanks.

NG

Offline 243dave

• A Real Regular
Re: .45 long colt for brush gun
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 06:46:36 PM »
I don't know about the rifle but I use the 45colt out of a 94 trapper for deer. I love my trapper when loaded correctly, its a 150yd gun that hits harder than a pistol cartridge should. My favorite load consist of 300gr xtp mags and lots of h-110. I don't have a chrony but I'm probably shooting around 1600fps. I started deer hunting with the regular 300gr xtps but they would fail to exit on quartering shots or if shoulders were encoutered. The 300gr xtp mags are a whole different bullet than the regular xtps. The regular xtps are good bullets but at rifle velocities and close ranges they over-expand and limit penetration. The 300gr xtp mag will stand up to the velocities I shoot them at and penetrate deer end to end while leaving a golf ball sized hole. I believe they may hold up to a 460 s&w. If you reload the 45colt it is a great short range deer rifle that can be taylored to shoot anything from mice to moose. I even have some loads as quiet as a 22 rimfire for plinking and squirrels. For me this rifle is more fun to shoot than my ar-15, come to think of it its my favorite do-it -all rifle.   Dave

Offline navygunner

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 02:45:33 AM »
Thanks dave for the info.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 02:57:05 AM »
 The 45Colt is an excellent close range deer cartridge!!!! I suggest a good wide flat point bullet. Lead or jacketed, your choice. the nice thing about the bigger bores is you already have diameter. I mean a 30cal as to do quite a bit of expansion to get to 45cal... the 45 IS 45 caliber!! :o ;D ;)

You didn't mention what kind of loads you will be using. I mean heavy hand loads or colt safe lite loads. Either will work, just better bullet placement and bullet designs will enhance the lite loads performance.

I have shot dozens of deer with this caliber. Using everything form plain cast lead bullets to the fancy all copper slugs from Barnes. All left them "white side" up in short order.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline navygunner

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 04:48:31 AM »
CW,
   Since I don't handload I was thinking about trying Hornaday's new 225 FTX but I've got to call to get the numbers i.e velocity and energy figures. From what I've read it is designed to max sammi specs and can be used in all revolvers including the italian replica's. Conversion kit for my uberti 1860 LOL. Sight picture just to shabby for hunting but the shoulder stock sure helps these old eyes.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 04:56:58 AM »
I personally haven't used this load, but have read some good posts on its accuracy, none of its performance on game. The FTX as a line of bullets is proving to be a good one, so I would say if you put that bullet in the boiler room, you will have venison in the freezer next winter...

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 05:43:47 AM »
Navygunner, DO NOT put your shoulder stock on you converted cap and ball pistol!  It is a voilation of federal law!
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline navygunner

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009, 05:55:32 AM »
Thanks for the reminder Billy, I only use the shoulder stock when firing cap and ball. Law enforcement needs to worry more about the surplus of 9'ers though >:(

ng

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 04:00:41 PM »
Though I never have but a co-worker has used simple factory .45 Colt SWC's for his deer with no complaints. Velocity is around 960fps from his 5.5" single action.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 09:10:54 AM »
Good question!  I'm working with my new to me Uberti M73 Win in 45 Colt.  I also wanted to use the TSX's, 250 gr. though, but non of the suppliers have any in stock.   :(

I've got some 250 gr. RNFP's I'm gonna play with and was wondering how they would work on deer.  I measured the flat point and it was a good 30 caliber.  I'd like it bigger, like the LBT WFN, but I 'spose it should work on deer...  :-\
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club