Author Topic: Help getting started reloading  (Read 953 times)

Offline cheapskate

• Trade Count: (0)
Help getting started reloading
« on: March 26, 2009, 05:52:51 PM »
I've never reloaded before, but i would like to start and maybe save a little money.  I want to reload for my .300wsm, .44 mag, .357 mag., .243, and maybe my .40s&w.  Any suggestions on a good setup for a begginer?  Any help will be appreciated!
Life's too short, buy more guns and hope you can find ammo to shoot them!

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
Re: Help getting started reloading
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 12:32:41 AM »
I would get an RCBS kit such as this one:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=646599

If you shop around, you may find one cheaper than what you can get at Midway USA.

What you will need in addition is some way to measure case length (a dial indicator works well), dies for each cartridge you reload, primers, bullets, powder and a case trimmer.  I also detest the RCBS case lube and use Imperial Sizing Wax instead.  The RCBS lube works fine but I don't like it because it's messy.  An additional reloading manual (I especially like Nosler's) is nice to have as well but not absolutely necessary.

Lee equipment is cheaper and I think their single stage press is OK (I've never used one but have looked at them).  Lee, however, only has a 2 year warranty while the RCBS warranty is lifetime; I think that says something about the confidence Lee has in their equipment.

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 02:07:50 AM »
 You can dip your toe in by getting a reloading manual & start reading, new or used. I'd get a fairly recent edition.
NRA, Veteran

Offline Val

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 04:17:27 AM »
Look at this RCBS website: http://www.rcbs.com/guide/default.aspx, it gives a pretty good reloading step by step tutorial. RCBS equipment is very good and RCBS is excellent in standing behind their products.
Hunting and fishing are not matters of life or death. They are much more important than that.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 04:21:05 AM »
You need to get on Google video and type in your reloading questions.  There are plenty of how to's on there that are very helpful.  There are also examples of people usign the different presses and that will help you decide.

Definately buy the manufactures video before buyign their press.  The free google videos are great, but make sure you also watch the professional video also for safeties sake.

Offline daboone

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 04:23:38 AM »
Before ya start think about this ;D

Originally Posted by Dakota Red 1 
Hey, here is something that isn't in the manuals. Cats are not good reloading helpers. Throw their furry a$$es out of the room and shut the door. If you don't have cats shut the door anyway. They are sneaky. And for any reason don't leave a shallow pan of case tumbling media on the floor.

Offline Troyboy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (41)
  • Work more talk less
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 07:11:39 AM »
Before i did a thing I'd read the stuff at the top of the page. Starting with the new to reloading thread
.204 .22lr .22wm .25acp .223 5.56 .243 .25-06 6.5x55  .308  .300wbymag  7.5x54  7.62x25 7.62x39  338-06  9x19 .38spl  9x18 .45acp . 45-70 .500s&w 12rfl 12smb 20smb  .45lc 410smb .22hornet .280AI    Ask not what your country can do for you BUT what can YOU do for your country

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 09:36:47 AM »
Lyman's 49th, Lee Modern Reloading are good places to start. ABCs of Reloading very good resource. They go into depth about the reloading process.  Read these and you will get an idea of the equipment needed to suit your reloading needs. I started several years ago with a Lee Loader, a pound of Bullseye, some unknown lead bullets, and 100 primers. Oh yeah, and a hammer. I used that Lee Loader for several months and several hundred rounds before I got a press (Lee Challenger). I really learned a lot about reloading using that Lee Loader.

Most reloading forums have a sticky dedicated to the brand new reloader, check those too.

Offline troy_mclure

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 12:40:36 PM »
i just picked up the abc of reloading 4th edition from a library sale.

its old but it will get you started. if you want it just pm me your address.

Offline cheapskate

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 08:03:46 PM »
Thanks for the book offer Troy, but I allready have an ABC's of reloading book, a hornady, and a speer reloading manual.  I appreciate all the advice, I was just curious what the best equipment for my money would be.  I'm leaning toward the Lee stuff, but I'm kinda afraid of the old " you get what you pay for "  thing.  RCBS I guess is my second pick.  I'll figure it out pretty soon i recon.  thanks again.

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 08:27:09 PM »
My picks for "cheap" are gunshows and the local newspapers. Lots of guys are getting out of reloading, for whatever reason, and whole outfits along with supplies can be picked up way cheaper than new. My dad decided several years ago to stop due to his age and inability to stay focused. Just an example, except his stuff is coming to me to go with what I already have accumulated over the last life-time. I just picked up another press, a Pacific, at a show a couple weeks ago. $5.00. and has the Universal shellholder ram for RCBS shellholders. It compliments my Herters Super 3 press at $17.50 new in 1957.
These things run forever!
When you pick out a scale, my choice is a magnetic dampened scale. Got our Hornady/Pacific after 35 years of undampened scales swinging up and down and up and down. One swing and it is stabilized.

Regarding reloading manuals. Use them all, together, and get a feel for what they are saying/guiding you to do. They don't all have the same data, but they do say the same things and have the same intent. Your guns will be your bottom lines for load development. Listen to your guns and learn to read your targets. They will speak volumes concerning what you are asking your guns to do for you.

Stay safe, and keep it fun. and ASK QUESTIONS.

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater

Offline troy_mclure

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2009, 11:00:15 PM »
i just got a lee breech lock challenger kit. the press works great so far, and seems really sturdy.
i recommend not getting the kit because the scale is verry difficult to operate. and the lube they send is MESSY, the auto prime is awesome tho, i primed up 225 .204 ruger in no time.
the funnel is also 2 small for the .204, so i had to spend extra on an adapter.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2009, 12:59:00 AM »
  The best advice I can give is to get the LYMAN manual and read it. I know you have the speer and Hornady manuals and this is good, but I recommend the Lyman as it seems a bit of an easier read, more understandable for the newbie re-loader. Also LYMAN does not sell bullets or powder, so there data includes other manufactures bullets and powders. Unlike Speer and Sierra or Hornady that will only show data for there bullets. Once you get going and decide on a bullet. I then recommend to purchase that bullet manufacturers manual.

I am not a fan of LEE products. I feel you are far better served with some used (RCBS, HORNADY, LYMAN, PACFIC, REDDING ) equipment. as previously suggested.  Many people have bought and like the LEE stuff, but in my 20+ years of selling and using this stuff, its only a matter of time before problems arise. Lo volume, lite loading will likely be fine. But with as many calibers as you list, comes volume. Volume equals wear and tear on pot metal parts that will just not stand up to hard use. I really DO NOT WANT this to become another LEE BASHING thread. As I said, In my experience, the LEE stuff does work for the "lite/Lo volume" re-loader. NOT for higher volume hard use. I am NOT talking abuse here. I feel a good name, USED reloading equipment is a better use of your hard earned dollars.

Good luck and post up what you do and how it works for you.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2009, 08:35:59 AM »
CW +1

LEE has helped a lot of guys get into reloading on a budget.... it's kind of like getting your first vehicle. How close to your desires can your wallet get you, right now?
Is it that shiny new economy frugalbucket, or the '82 Jeep pickup that your Grandfather's neighbor parked in the barn when he gave up driving, and left a note that "you could have it for $50 'cause you'd been a good kid!" (Did I mention it was a J10 Honcho shortbox with less than 10,000 miles?) They are all choices, and some there is not a wrong choice, just your choice. Some guys go the "new" route and get what they can afford. Others take the used route, in a higher quality, or greater abundance. There is a never-ending list of "needed reloading items" that just seems to grow and grow. AND it's all YOUR CHOICE! Have Fun!

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater

Offline jimkim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2009, 08:50:35 AM »
There's a sticky in the G&G forum that has lots of info. http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/handloading/68264-what-every-newbie-reloader-must-know.html The only problem is the guy that started it is kind of a jerk, or so I've been told. The first post has several links with lists of what you will need. FWIW I like Lee products. For just starting out you can't beat the Lee breechlock kit.  I would get a different scale though. The Lee isn't user friendly. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=121744

Offline wncchester

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2009, 12:14:31 PM »
Cheap, CW, et al, have good thoughts on the longevity of Lee's allumimum alloy presses but I have an alternate point of view for you new guys. 

First, if you DON'T reload large volumes you will never need a more durable press, etc.  If you do reach the point of loading large volumes and exceed the rational capacity of an alum alloy press (which includes the well respected Hornady LnL and RCBS Partner, by the way) YOU would have gained enough experience to determine what you might be better served with. 

Second, your first press won't be tossed out if you do decide to up-grade to a more durable press later.  The old one can still serve quite well for dedicated tasks outside normal reloading - it's quite useful to have an extra around at times!   And, if you want a really sturdy iron/steel press, the Lee Classic Cast is as strong and durable as any. 

Not trying  to sell you anything, just wanted to share an alternate point of view from another loader of well over four decades who has used MANY brands of equipment, from one extreme to the other in expense.  Part of what I've learned is that no brand of equipemt, or its price, taken alone can guarantee any improvement in the quality of your ammo, that takes skill, understanding and superior work methods.  It takes a long time to gain all that and it can't be shortened by diving into a fat wallet!

(I would NOT suggest you get an alum press with any kind of "quick change" inserts at all.  It's really not very hard to screw dies in and out conventionally and most anyone can learn to do it in less than 10 seconds!  Not much "time" to be saved in that.  But, the real problem is, as I see, the inserts can get to be expensive, fast, AND it sorta locks you into that brand's system forever; that may be longer than you might really want!  ;)  )

Good luck!
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2009, 12:39:04 PM »
the '82 Jeep pickup that your Grandfather's neighbor parked in the barn when he gave up driving, and left a note that "you could have it for $50 'cause you'd been a good kid!" (Did I mention it was a J10 Honcho short-box with less than 10,000 miles?) Have Fun!

Regards,
Sweetwater

You just plucked one of my heart strings......  Jeeps are my second love....  I currently have 6.  ::) :D :D :D  I would LOVE a short bed Honcho!!!!!!!!

If your a jeeper too, here is a couple links to my favorites...

http://cave76.org/forums/cromag.php?mode=viewcromag&u=cwlongshot

http://comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1230

Sorry for the hijack..... Be sure to post up what you do. We will be here and glad to help or answer any questions you might have!!

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline smith85619

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2009, 03:25:09 PM »
I am fairly new to reloading too, the first thing I did was buy the lee hand press.  I used this press to get a feel for the sequence of events.  I will offer this one tidbit of advice, tell everyone you know that you have started reloading.  I have people bringing me brass now almost weekly, and one guy at work looked in his shed and found and old RCBS JR3 press that's probably as old as I am.  I took it completely apart, sandblasted it, repainted it then put it back together.  It looks and operated the same as it used to.  In the process of this restoration, I broke the ram shellholder spring, I emailed RCBS and told them what happened, they sent me a new spring UNDER WARRANTY!  I could not believe that.  I have a Lee breechlock challenger, the Lee hand press, the Lee 4-hole turret press for pistol ammo and now I have a 36 year old RCBS JR3 that apparantly is still under warranty.  My next piece of equipment will be RCBS.

smith85619
If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2009, 03:47:26 PM »
I am fairly new to reloading too, the first thing I did was buy the lee hand press.  I used this press to get a feel for the sequence of events.  I will offer this one tidbit of advice, tell everyone you know that you have started reloading.  I have people bringing me brass now almost weekly, and one guy at work looked in his shed and found and old RCBS JR3 press that's probably as old as I am.  I took it completely apart, sandblasted it, repainted it then put it back together.  It looks and operated the same as it used to.  In the process of this restoration, I broke the ram shell-holder spring, I emailed RCBS and told them what happened, they sent me a new spring UNDER WARRANTY!  I could not believe that.  I have a Lee breech lock challenger, the Lee hand press, the Lee 4-hole turret press for pistol ammo and now I have a 36 year old RCBS JR3 that apparently is still under warranty.  My next piece of equipment will be RCBS.

smith85619

Just TRY to get that kind of service from LEE!!!   LOL

The "sweetness" of a good deal bitters quickly when the reality of poor quality is realized.  I don't know who wrote that, but it is OH SO TRUE!!!!

Congrats on the press, it will serve you very well!!!

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2009, 03:59:25 PM »
I would get an RCBS kit such as this one:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=646599

If you shop around, you may find one cheaper than what you can get at Midway USA.

What you will need in addition is some way to measure case length (a dial indicator works well), dies for each cartridge you reload, primers, bullets, powder and a case trimmer.  I also detest the RCBS case lube and use Imperial Sizing Wax instead.  The RCBS lube works fine but I don't like it because it's messy.  An additional reloading manual (I especially like Nosler's) is nice to have as well but not absolutely necessary.

Lee equipment is cheaper and I think their single stage press is OK (I've never used one but have looked at them).  Lee, however, only has a 2 year warranty while the RCBS warranty is lifetime; I think that says something about the confidence Lee has in their equipment.

the  kits are great way to start

when  i got started it was a lymen  kit...with a terret  top
i  like  it  better especially when  working up loads.....its worth  the little extra [to me]

i  like the lee auto-prime hand primer  ...just get all  the shell holder kit   all for about $30

if i friend wamt to use  you press  tell  him  ''ok if i can  use your tumble''.....hint
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline cheapskate

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2009, 06:31:51 PM »
Man, lots of good advice!  Smith85619's 36 year old press still being under warranty sold me on RCBS!  I have a RCBS rock chucker supreme on order and I'll be sure to let you all know if I have any questions and how it works out when it gets here, everything is pretty much backorderd everywhere.  thanks again!

Offline KAYR1

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2009, 02:33:13 AM »
I, too favor RCBS for the reasons listed above. One thing that we should warn you about this addicting hobby of reloading....It starts out as a "bare minumum" thing. What tools and components do I need, and nothing else. What happens is that very soon, your "needs" increase. If you are like me, you will start to accumulate things that make the reloading steps faster, easier, more efficient. It's all great, just be forewarned! 

On another note, I would highly reccomend to buy several reloading manuals, namely the Lyman. This site is a great resource also, but always reference your manuals.

Offline MZ5

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Contributor
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2009, 05:42:43 AM »
When I first got into reloading between 15 & 20 years ago, I bought an RCBS Rock Chucker, RCBS dies, etc.  I went into a good-sized store (not a chain; locally-owned) and asked them about reloading in general and specifically about equipment.  They favored the lifetime warranty, good durability, etc., of RCBS, I wanted to buy Speer bullets and manual anyway on account of them being as close to local as I knew of at the time, so I bought.  I hated it.  There was no reason I needed a press that weighed 800 lbs for my reloading (.223 Rem & .44 Mag at the time), but mine did.  I didn't have a permanent place to mount this super-heavy press nor a permanent place to reload.  The case lube was/is a MAJOR PITA 'cause it's slow to apply and will destroy powder and primers.  This was either all lost on those recommending stuff to me, or perhaps they just didn't/don't know any better, or perhaps I was too young to suppose that a business would recommend what they stocked and nothing else.  The world wide web didn't exist in the way it does now, so there weren't resources like this website to ask people questions.

At about the same time, I bought a Lee hand press, dies, scale, and powder dipper set from MidwayUSA back when their pricing included freight to my door (NOBODY stocked Lee stuff locally except for some trimmer stuff).  I won't claim the Lee hand press will last my entire family heritage throughout all time.  OTOH, I didn't pay for that upfront like I did with the RCBS and I don't expect it.  Regardless, the Lee stuff is what made me stick with reloading.  I sold the Rock Chucker and RCBS dies nearly unused.  I think I may have just thrown out the case lube & pad?

I later bought a Pro1000 progressive for pistol loading.  I still have it, but it wants more attention and adjustment from me than I care to give so I really just don't use it.  Not sure whether I'd get one again or not; depends upon how much pistol volume I shot?  In terms of durability, one can now get cast steel (not cast iron like the others, cast steel; comes from old railroad rails, or at least it did) from Lee and expect all the strength and durability of RCBS.  Plus, you'll get American-cast rather than Chinese-cast if you care about that.  For dies, I only neck-size bottleneck cases until/unless I'm absolutely FORCED to FL size.  I only buy Lee collet dies for that because they're so massively more cost-effective than the alternatives, and because they work so very well for me.

At this point, I'll buy whatever color or brand suits my needs.  I have some RCBS items and they work very well for me.  If/when buying new, I nearly always end up with Lee for the good experiences I've had with their equipment and factory people.  I don't shoot 1,000 rounds/month, and it's possible that I would make certain choices differently if I did.  There are some that I know I would not make differently even then.

OP, I know you got the Rock Chucker press and I'm sure you'll be extremely happy with it.  I have posted this mainly for future readers/searchers' consideration and NOT as a bashing thing either way.