Author Topic: VELVET  (Read 657 times)

Offline grizzy57

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
VELVET
« on: September 05, 2003, 01:42:59 AM »
:D
 Saw two bucks in my yard last night that are losing their velvet!! anyone
else seen any?? kinda early isn't it? Usually don't see it until the middle of the month around here.
                                         :lol:  
                                       GRIZZY

Offline pa ridge-runner

• Avid Poster
velvet
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2003, 03:25:00 AM »
Hi Griz,
  Saw 4 bucks yesterday morn,all still had velvet.Right now is the time to start seeing that velvet getting dry.When bucks are growing thier antlers they are very dark looking(blood engorged),but as they finish thier growth they get much lighter in color,usually in late july or early august.September is the time to rub off the velvet.From my experience it seems that the larger bucks rub off earlier.Have seen small bucks with velvet up to the 3rd week of sept,but no-later than that.It is prime time to rub right now.I expect to see some with velvet coming off tomorrow on my saturday morn scout.
My best buddy and myself are year-round deer scouters.We watch deer habits every week,every month.I dont pretend to be a know-it-all,just enjoy studying my favorite animal,and making my own observations. :wink:

Offline grouper sandwich

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
    • http://members.fishingworks.com/groupersandwich/
VELVET
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2003, 05:02:26 AM »
Not sure about the velvet but I think that the eastern part of the country is in for an early and long fall/winter.  Even down here in Florida we are seeing the beginnings of leaves changing, the squirrels are frantically collecting acorns and cutting hickory nuts and the deer are really moving and eating everything in site.

Offline grizzy57

• Avid Poster
Velvet
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2003, 12:16:07 AM »
:D Grouper,
 I sure hope you are wrong! I hate the long/cold winters we have here
in PA .The critters are doing the same thing here getting ready i guess.
                                     GRIZZY

Offline pa ridge-runner

• Avid Poster
velvet
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2003, 04:54:25 AM »
Regional update;
  Yesterday morning made my saturday scout.We saw about 15-20 bucks,most were legal bucks.Surprisingly we didnt see any spikes and only one buck that was a Y on one side with no brow tine.It is my opinion that there are more branch antler deer this year than any other year I have been hunting.(about 30 years).Only one very large(9 point w/over 20 inch spread) buck had his antlers rubbed clean,every other buck had all its velvet yet.This coming week should see alot more deer without velvet.No big deal I know,but just makes me feel more excited to see em cleaned off.I am certainly more excited this year with the amount of nice looking bucks, that are more mature than usual.Also I am much more confident in the game commissions new antler restrictions.Any other fellas with recent observations??I will keep you posted and am going to try ang get some digital pics of the really nice bucks I've been seeing. :D  pa r-r