Author Topic: Fixed 4x scope under/around 300.00  (Read 821 times)

Offline CoffeeInMe

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Fixed 4x scope under/around 300.00
« on: March 15, 2009, 02:18:38 AM »
Im looking for a good quality 4x scope for around 300.00 I really dont prefer Leupold and Sightron only has a compact and many other manufactures suggest that theyre 4x's only be used on rimfires.
Mine will be used on a .223
Thanks

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Fixed 4x scope under/around 300.00
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 03:51:20 AM »
You might consider a Weaver Classic. They are around $150 and made in Japan to their specifications. I think they are a rugged, no nonsense scope and not bad in price. I do not have the 4X, but I do have one that is the 6X and it is pretty good scope for the money. Of course the Leupold is a very good scope and is a little smaller in size, but a little higher in price. Only you can make the decision if it is worth more to you. I do know you can not go wrong with a Leupold. Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Cement Man

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 06:50:20 AM »
I have a Nikon Buckmaster in 4X and a Weaver K4.  Both are between $130 and $170 and I have used them for years with no problems.
The Buckmaster seems to have an edge on the optics, but either should do an excellent job and are very reliable.  I moved my Buckmaster to my 20 gauge slug gun last fall and I was absolutely delighted at how precise the W & E adjustments were when zeroing in.  At $2.50 per slug, I didn't want to play games and the the point of impact changed exactly to what I had dialed on the scope.  Lightfield sabots + NEF Ultra slig barrel + Buckmaster scope.
I also have a Nikon Monarch 4X40 I purchased a couple of years ago on sale which is superb, but I believe that model is discontinued.
I believe LaOtto and I are talking about the same Weaver scope (Weaver Classic K4 in Midway's catalog.  I didn't realize it was caled Classic.  Good choice.)

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=174349

ADD: Sorry the way I wrote that sentence about the Nikon Monarch.  I bought the scope on sale - but I do not have it for sale.  Poor choice of words on my part.
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.

Offline TRAPPERKRIS

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 02:35:58 PM »
I'll 1 up the nikon buckmasters 4x40.  Mine sets on my savage 223 and has not failed me once.  I traded my 3x9x40 burris ffll for it.  Not that the burris was/is a bad scope, my dislike was that the rear ocular (i believe it is called) turned when you changed powers and that just was not condusive with butler creek scope covers, besides it was set on 4x most of the time.

Offline CoffeeInMe

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 03:33:02 PM »
Thanks for all the help. I believe I have it boiled down to a Nikon Buckmaster 4x40 or the Sightron 6x42. I really didnt want to go with a 6x but there will be times when shots might be taken between 100 to 200 yards. Besides Ive heard so many good things about Sightron. I also have a Nikon Prostaff 4x32 rimfire that has excellent clarity and is a good indicator that the Buckmaster will be even better.

Offline Zachary

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 03:56:42 PM »
I think Nikon has the Monarch in a 4x, or at least it used to.  If it still does, then that would be one heck of a scope for what you are looking for.

Zachary

Offline Cement Man

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 07:06:26 PM »
We have a couple of threads going here talking about the same scopes.  The Monarch Zachary is referring to is (IMHO) an excellent scope but discontinued.  Gloss is a 6500 (?) and Matte is a 6505.  Maybe you can find some yet though. 

I just found what I think looks like a good buy as well - but I know nothing of this seller.  There seems to be several places that are selling this scope at a substantial discount and it is a good scope. - Burris Fullfield 4X40 - discontinued
http://www.outdoorsexperience.com/burrisfullfieldmatte.html
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.

Offline Big Al in Nebr

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 03:33:25 AM »
I know it isn't a fixed power but I have been VERY impressed with my Mueller scopes.  If fact, on a recent prairie dog shoot, my brother who is a Leupold guy just couldn't get over how great my scope was.  You can get one of their awesome Multi-shots for around $160 and it is a variable.  Check them out at:

http://www.muelleroptics.com/