Author Topic: Mule whitetail cross  (Read 868 times)

Offline Ranger J

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Mule whitetail cross
« on: February 28, 2009, 06:56:03 AM »
A number of years ago in one of the 'big three' mags I read an article about mule deer.  As I remember it the article said that the whitetail was the older species and that the mule deer developed from the whitetail in the recent (geological speaking) past.  The article went on to say that the two species were still close enough to cross breed and produce viable young.  It further said that whitetail bucks were usually more aggressive than the mule bucks and would often chase off the mule deer bucks and breed the mule does.  This conclusion was supposedly backed up by the number of what appeared to be white tail bucks in areas shared by both species that had branching antlers like mules but otherwise mostly whitetail characteristics.   Have any of you living in shared habitat ever seen evidence of this?  It's snowing outside and this seemed to be a good way to spend some time.  I am looking forward to someone who knows what they are talking about.

RJ

Offline Skunk

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Mule whitetail cross
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 07:22:32 AM »
Ranger J, here's what seems to be a good article about your topic. It's from Deer Tracking Magazine:

Tails With a Dark Side

http://www.deertracking.com/library/dec2001_tails_dark_side.html
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline Ranger J

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 03:26:58 PM »
Very interesting article.  As I read the one a number of years back it claimed that the change in agricultural practices was allowing whitetails to encroach on mule deer territory and the breeding of the mule deer does by the 'aggressive' whitetail bucks was one of the reason for the decline in the mule deer numbers.  Again thank you for the very interesting article.

RJ

Offline lewdogg21

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 08:16:40 AM »
Ranjer - I read the same article that you did.  It was in either Petersons, Outdoor Life or F&S.

I have seen what appeared to be crosses.  They  had whitetail colorings with mule deer racks. This was in Eastern Oregon in 04 or 05 near the town of Ukiah.

Offline Ranger J

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 10:48:07 AM »
I think it was in Field & Stream.

RJ

Offline jordisonkevin

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 10:55:47 AM »
I have seen a few deer that seemed to be cross bread. I even shot a white tail one year that was 100% white tail all around but when we got right up to him he had a black spot on the end of his tail just like a mule. I was 100% sure he was a white tail and then guy hunting with me that has shot prob close to 100 deer was also sure he was a white tail.