Author Topic: S&W Sigma...Good/Bad  (Read 862 times)

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
S&W Sigma...Good/Bad
« on: March 22, 2009, 02:47:08 PM »
My nephew to be just bought one of these today in 40cal.  Are there any special things he should know about them.  Got a good deal, out the door for around $400 including a holster and a couple mags.
Thanks

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: S&W Sigma...Good/Bad
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 02:54:52 PM »
Since I can't ever recall hearing of anyone ever being attacked by a steel plate I will continue to trust my nine to cover my six.  ;)
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Savage

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 04:35:19 PM »
If your NTB shoots it a LOT, it'll probably be worn out in 20yrs or so. They're not to my taste, but the few I've seen seemed to be an OK pistol for the money.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 05:10:41 PM »
I actually ended up selling mine.  Had it for a few years with nary a problem.  It was just in a niche that I already had filled... and I had an itch to fill another niche ... ok this is getting too dr. seuss.....

Yes its a good gun.  I never had a problem.
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 05:36:09 AM »
I had a 9mm Sigma some years back. It was totally reliable and reasonably accurate. I just never could adapt to the long, creepy trigger pull. I did shoot it OK but it just seemed to take forever to get off an aimed shot with that trigger. There also seemed to be a lot of muzzle flip, not just upward but out to the right. But I really was OK with the Sigma, I traded it off because it just didn't do anything I needed done. I believe the much ballyhooed S&W "military & police" pistol is just a Sigma with a slightly modified grip and $200 added to the price tag. If I were to choose between those two I'd not hesitate to take the Sigma.
 Sorry to say, your nephew did not get an especially good deal unless it came with tritium night sights or something. New wholesale price on a plain Sigma is about $300 and there are "like new" trade-ins going for $250.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 07:19:59 AM »
I have one.
It is a really dependable gun.
Has never failed to go bang when asked to.
S&W service is great.
I took a customer to a shooting event and he borrowed it and some how lost the gront sight off of it.
Called S&W they had me send it to them and in a week it was back with a nice new front sight.
I call mine a Smith and Glock.  It is so much like the Glock, that Glock sued.  I think it is better than the Glock.
The grip angle is more 90 degrees and fits my hand where as with the Glock I have to rotate my wrists down to be able to see down the sights.

Offline JayAK

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 07:13:43 PM »
got rid of mine....it jammed like smuckers.....

Offline HogFan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 03:05:35 PM »
I was all set to buy a Sigma last year, until I actually handled one. It just did not fit me right. I bought a a Taurus 24/7 instead. The Sigma's here, can be had at times for $289 new. If it was all the gin I could afford, I would probably go for it. I ahve buddy that his dad has one, and he loves the thing.

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009, 02:35:43 PM »
They were the very first of the Glock clones. Was "Gun of the Year" when they came out. Then all the problems started to show up. Our state police used them . . . for about a month. (Maybe a little longer.) Then went with Rugers. For a while S&W couldn't give them away. They've taken care of all the design flaws except for the trigger, but I hear you get used to it after a while. It's probably a good gun for the money, because the folks here at GBO that have them really seem to love them, and I trust these folks more than I do the gun magazine writers. It has great ergonomics, and the fact that S&W still has them in their line up shows that it must be selling, but it just has a reputation that has been hard to overcome (like Winchester shotguns).
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."