Author Topic: New to the AR world  (Read 875 times)

Offline Freezer

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
New to the AR world
« on: March 20, 2009, 01:48:00 PM »
   I can't believe it but my son convinced me I need an AR 15.  He found a good deal on Stag Arms lowers.  Since there's a smal window of oppertunity here in Kaliforniastan and it may close quickly I decided I better jump on it.  How is the qualiy of the Stag Arms lowers?  What's a good price and should I avoid it and buy better quality.  I'll be using it for general shooting and home defence when the big one strikes.  I've shot the M16 A1 and a few AR15s but not extensivly I'd like and education as I enter a new area. 

Offline John R.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: New to the AR world
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 02:19:01 PM »
Stag Arms makes good stuff. Prices are up on everything, including lowers. What kind of upper are you considering?

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 02:26:44 PM »
+1 for the stag arms lower.
I too live here.  the prolem you have is any of the lowers that are named in the assault weapons ban like Armalite, Colt, DPMS and on are not allowed to be sold limiting your choice of lower.
As you built it up you have two options.
Pistol grip and limed to 10 rounds with either a fixed or tool mag button (AKA Bullet button mag release)
Other than Pistol grip stock.  like the fish belly or the monsterman. stock.
Any of the uppers will just clip on by all the manugfacturers.
Depending on what you want to transform you lower into you can get dozens of uppers.
Good luck.

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 04:02:23 PM »
+1 on stag and i second that everything is up from normal prices so a complete lower for under $400 that you can actual find in stock would be at present market and be worth your time ..

Finding availble uppers will take a little time and searching , Well that is if your dont want to lay out $1000+ for an upper..

But again it depends on which way you are wanting to go with your AR , 16" light wt. , mid length 16" or 20" light, heavy or bull barrel .. Even 24" target barrels for alot of bench time are out there should long range and varmints be in mind ..

But like you said general plinking and home defense ..Then a medium or light barreled 16" C.A.R. or Mid-Length would be right up your alley , Keeping in mind your intended wants for the platform ..

Next is weapon sights ... You want a scope or G.I. A2 fixed iron sights , Perhaps fold down irons with a electronic sight system like and EOtech or AIM point would suit you better ..

Time will tell and you will have no shortage of options ...

Just dont allow yourself to get over whelmed with thises and thats and feel free to ask us as many question as you like or need to ..

And lastly  , Congrats on your first AR    ;)

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald Reagan

THE QUICKEST WAY TO ENSLAVE A PEOPLE IS TO DISARM THEM ~ George Mason

Offline Freezer

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 06:00:28 PM »
  OK,  been doing some pricing and research, got a good deal on the complete reciever.  Uppers with barrels seem to start at $400.  This is going to get expensive!  I was thinking of a 16" lite barrel.  There are sure a lot of mfgrs out there including High Standard.  This is a company I hasn't impressed me.  What brands should I stay away from.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 02:35:03 AM »
stag makes good stuff. I sure like mine.
blue lives matter

Offline kitchawan kid

• Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 02:50:21 AM »
If you can get a complete upper for $400.00 buy it.One thing to think about is the hundreds of laws that change from state to state on just the AR's. In CT. forward assists and folding stocks are illegal,in N.Y. they not,every state is different. 
N.R.A. life member
N.Y.S.R&P
PUTNAM FISH &GAME ASS.
RAMAPOO RIFLE AND REVOLVER

cowboy action,hunting,target-1911's rule

Offline Freezer

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 04:06:07 AM »
Kaliforniastan has stock and magazine restrictions.  Ten round top feeding mag etc.  There'll be more to come but once you own it your grandfathered in.  That's why I'm building one.

Offline kitchawan kid

• Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 04:24:29 AM »
Sorry about that,your state that is,some states have "grandfathered" some "assault" weapons but they also have registration of them which seems the next step to"turn them all in or else".I did build one myself,do some ot.,buy a part a little more ot more parts etc. worked out I learned more about the rifle and the cost was les.
N.R.A. life member
N.Y.S.R&P
PUTNAM FISH &GAME ASS.
RAMAPOO RIFLE AND REVOLVER

cowboy action,hunting,target-1911's rule

Offline Arier Blut

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009, 05:55:09 AM »
Sir this place disassembles their mags for a small fee and can ship to Commiefornia .
http://www.44mag.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RK

I know a lot of guys on AR 15 were saving a newspaper with date. Even if you have the lower if it is not an assembled rifle on the date of the ban. The ban will apply to it. So they save a paper to take a picture of the assembled rifle with the date visible.

I have had good dealings with this place.
http://jtdistributing.net/store/barreled_uppers_all.html

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 06:44:34 AM »
I really like my armalite.
The break really works well.
At first i hated the noisey thing but after a few three gun shoots and watching others with thier AR's not to mention shooting them I really like mine.

Offline Explorer1

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 06:42:04 PM »
I bought my first "black rifle" when Daddy Bush banned the import of a handfull way back when.  Had to find out what I was missing!  Till then if it did not have a nice piece of wood, I was not interested.

Today I have both, and enjoy both.  Tis not a good time to find bargins, then again it may be as good as it gets for a while.  We say big swings with the last so-called AWB.  You makes your choices and live with the results.  Meanwhile have fun!

Stag is good hardware.  Best of luck finding parts.

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2009, 05:11:09 AM »
Point of fact:
The ban was by Bill Clintoon and not President G.H. Bush.

Offline Explorer1

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2009, 06:58:52 PM »
Point of fact:
The ban was by Bill Clintoon and not President G.H. Bush.

ALMOST right.  G.H.W. Bush banned the import of certain firearms (including the H&K 91s and 93, and the Styer AUG) years before BozoBilly signed the AWB in the early 1990s.  These were 2 different actions.