Author Topic: Stupid question about .38's  (Read 777 times)

Offline toecatch

• Trade Count: (0)
Stupid question about .38's
« on: August 31, 2003, 11:19:46 AM »
Heres a stupid question looking for serious answeres. I own a .38 special, I read where I can hunt with a handgun with a .38 but heres the question.
Can I shoot .38 supers out my .38 special?

Offline Savage

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2003, 11:44:10 AM »
No, afraid you'll have to settle for .38 spl round in that chambering.
Stay Safe,
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Duffy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2003, 05:05:40 PM »
No such thing as a stupid question around here!

You can't shoot Supers but depending on the type of gun you have (large/heavy frame) you may be able to shoot +P's in it but I wouldn't try hunting anything bigger than coyotes.

Offline Larry Gibson

Yes, you can
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2003, 02:39:25 PM »
toecatch

"Can I shoot .38 supers out my .38 special?"

Yes, you can.  IF the chamber mouths of your .38 have not been champhered and are still square.  The .38 Super is a semi rimmed case and while there isn't much of a rim most often the .38 Supers will go bang in a .38 Special chamber.  I would suggest your revolver be rated for +P.  There is a sufficient expansion ratio in a .38 special revolver chamber before the bullet will hit the throat that pressure are considerably lower than when fired in a Super chamber.  I have fire quite a few in my M15, M19. and Ruger Security Six.  Accuracy and positive extraction sucks in all three BTW.  Not that it is hazardous but I recommend against it because it is such a pain and the poor accuracy is not worth the experience.

Larry Gibson

Offline Larry Gibson

Re: Yes, you can
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2003, 09:34:04 AM »
toecatch

Should have added one caveat; Though I haven't tried any .38 Supers in .38/.357s for a while I did find that some Supers won't chamber owing to the brass being a little thicker.  .38 Super brass is a little thicker than .38 prass and it fits snug in the chambers.  As I recall it was the nickeled brass that was to thick to chamber.

Larry Gibson

Offline Jim n Iowa

• A Real Regular
38 sp
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2003, 01:44:49 PM »
Toecatch
You could well put down a deer here in Iowa with a 38sp as our range is not very far and you have a decent load +900 fps and 125gr or greater. However its not legal. Min 357 out of min 4" barrel. Check it out on-line
Jim

Offline GrizzLeeBear

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2003, 06:34:49 AM »
I'm new to this forum and don't handgun hunt (yet!), but Jim is correct.  For deer hunting in Iowa it's 357 mag or bigger with a min. barrel of 4".