Author Topic: Hand Loading 25-06  (Read 1255 times)

Offline kingcohojoe

• Trade Count: (0)
Hand Loading 25-06
« on: February 28, 2009, 03:13:41 PM »
I am new to loading and have a TC Pro-Hunter in 25-06. I am looking for help with powder, heads and primers to acheive the best accuracy with the least amount of recoil. I will use the load for deer hubting. Any suggestions????

Tx in advance
Joe

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
Re: Hand Loading 25-06
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 03:39:49 PM »
It all depends on the amount of recoil you are willing to tolerate. The way to make a light recoiling load is to shoot the lightest bullet that can do the job, say 85 or 100 grains at very modest velocity, but that is not necessarily the best use of your 25-06"s potential, or the best deer killer either. I think if the recoil of a 25-06 was bothering me I would start with 120 gr bullets and make a load that shot about 3000 fps. See if you can handle that. If it is still too much for you then go to the 100 gr and 3000 fps. I wouldn't go lighter than 100 gr for big game, and I would try to keep velocities at around 3000 unless I just couldn't handle it.

Remember that what you are experiencing at the bench is a lot different than field shooting. A load that will punish you firing 10 or 20 rounds on the bench , you would never notice shooting one round offhand at a deer. On the other hand I commend you for acknowledging that you don't like recoil and not shooting something that is going to make you flinch. A mild load shot straight is 1000 times better than a hard shooting one that is jerked.

Offline Kurt L

• Trade Count: (15)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 03:51:06 PM »
75 grain Hornady HP and H 4350 will drop whitetailed deer like
being hit by lighting and not a lot of recoil.
KURT LGo TO RIFLE RED RYDER SUPER MAG CARBINE

Offline Don Fischer

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 04:15:04 PM »
I use a 117gr bullet at a bit over 3000fps and it's not bad for me. But it is a rather hot load, pushing a 120gr bullet that fast probably will be about the same, hot load. I'd say drop down to the 100gr bullet. Or you can use the heavier bullet and back off the powder. Get about 10% off the max load and recoil will come down with any weight bullet.
:wink: Even a blind squrrel find's an acorn sometime's![/quote]

Offline kingcohojoe

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 01:27:32 AM »
Thanks for your input, I think I am sold on 117Grain Head, These are the three I am considering, Sierra SBT Gameking, Hornady BTSP & Nosler 115 garin Ballistic Tip. Has anyone tried these heads and how do they perform target and deer? Also what powder did you use?

Thanks

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 01:53:01 AM »
I used to shoot a 25-06 but it was a long time ago, in fact I think is was before it became a factory loading. A long heavy bullet is usually a reliable bullet. I think I shot the 117 Sierra, but it wasn't called game king back then. I killed a few elk with it and probably multiple deer and antelope with no problems. I wouldn't mess with gimmicky bullets like the Nosler unless you have problems with the bullet tips battering in the magazine.

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 01:56:11 AM »
I tried this head on a deer last year from a little over 200 yards.  I hit it in the rear of the left leg and it died pretty quickly (i.e., penetration is excellent).

Be advised though, in working up a load, I couldn't care less about recoil; I'm looking for accuracy.

Offline Manitobahunter

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 02:39:54 AM »
I've used 115gr Noslers in my Ruger for over 20yrs backed by IMR4350.  They have always work and shoot well.  There is little meat damage.  Don't ever remember finding a bullet, always get 2 holes.  Never had a problem with them grouping.

MH
Shoot straight

Offline Handgun Hunter

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 03:43:48 AM »
Hey King,

It's funny to find this post this morning because me and my son were just out yesterday testing some new deer loads at the farm. I've had my 25/06 for 27 years now and just started to develope a deer load a month ago for a West Virgina hunt next year. yesterday a load of rem. cases, win. mag. primers, R22 with a 115 gr. Nosler chewed one hole with 5 shots @ 100yds. I need look no further. Hope this helps.

Tim.
Tim. " The fear of death will not prevent dieing, but it may prevent living "

Offline kingcohojoe

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 04:01:51 AM »
Hi Tim

Thanks for the reply. Which Nosler did you use and how much powder.

Thanks
Joe

Offline Handgun Hunter

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 04:37:23 AM »
     Sorry King, rooky mistake. Nosler Partition. I usualy don't post the powder weight as you may reach max loading preasure before I do. I will say however, I started @ 50gr. and worked up to max with absolutely no preasure signs. My Hodgdon #26 manual says 49-53gr. for 117-120gr. bullets.

I would trust this load on any white tail out there. Hope you have the same results as we did, Tim.

Offline Handgun Hunter

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2009, 04:39:26 AM »
     Let me know if you need a varmit load for this round, the Hornady 75gr. V-max is realy acurate and expolsive as well.

Offline pozoutdoors

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2009, 07:14:16 AM »
I haven't tried any of the heavier bullets. But, I've had good luck with 85gr ballistic silver tips. Here in Iowa we mostly use rifles for coyotes and the late doe season. But, I do hunt in missouri using the 85gr ballistic silver tips pushed by H4350 with all success. Here is a pic..........

Offline the great orator

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2009, 06:03:42 PM »
HH, what are you using for your 75 Gr. Vmax load?

Offline moosie

• Trade Count: (2)
  • 1 of 2 nice 8 pointers last year
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2009, 08:45:24 AM »
I have been hunting white-tail deer in South Texas for over 30 years with a Ruger 1 in .25-06.  I have never missed a deer with it and none have ever run more than 10 yards.  I  tried a number of bullets and powders and long ago settled on  4350 with the Sierra BTSP in 117 gr.  I have also had good luck with the Nosler partition in 120 gr., but in truth they are too expensive to shoot at targets in the off season.  Don't let anyone tell you a .25-06 is not enough gun for a whitetail deer.  Shoot him in the heart or mid-neck and he is not running anywhere.
Moosie
To fire an accurate shot means to not just hit the target, but to know where the target was hit before the bullet got there.

Offline go1fshn

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2009, 01:33:15 PM »
 Anyone have problems with nosler partitions not not shooting straight from a 25-06?
 I wanted to use them for hunting, but at the range at 100yds 4 to 6" apart. I don't have that problem with any other bullet I shoot.

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2009, 01:44:25 PM »
King, I use the 115 grain Nosler BTBT. I think for deer they would be the best bet or Serria or Hornady. The partitions would be great if you HAD to hunt bigger game with the .25-06. I have used one on and off since just before they became a std. caliber. I never turned them on elk, I have elk rifles, but for medium game and coyotes it is good. With the 115 and 110 grain Accubond, I used a top load of Re 22, but had to go to a mag. primer to get that powder to shoot. With I4831 and 75 grain Vmax the std. primer worked fine. It is just one of those quirks of rifle shooting. good luck The 75 grain Vmax makes and awesome varmit load. From my rifle it will hit 3650 fps. and it is not a top load. 8)

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2009, 04:12:45 PM »
Do yourself and the game you hunt a favor and stay away from varmint weight bullets for big game!!! Generally, anything under 90 is considered a varmint bullet. Unless it specifically reads for big game. (IE Barnes solid copper slugs etc.)

For a lite load I use the 100Gr Nosler BT and IMR 4350 powder. Not a stiff load either, IIRC its was a starting load. lite on the recoil and the easier expanding BT always gave great performance with nickle sized entrances and half dollar exits. (Unless major bones where struck.)

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline catkiller

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2009, 10:40:47 AM »
I use 100grain gamekings-winchester brass and primers and 53.5 grains of H4138SC.Accurate in both my rem.700 and my TC Encore.Great on deer and light recoil.
" A woman's breast is the hardest rock the almighty ever put on this earth and I can find no sign on it!"_ Will Geer (Bearclaw Chris Lapp) from Jeremiah Johnson.[/quote]