Author Topic: .357 maximum loads  (Read 528 times)

Offline kingj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Avid Poster
.357 maximum loads
« on: January 20, 2009, 05:55:16 AM »
 Does anyone have any loads using 200 grain Barnes or 225 grain Noslers?
Character 24 hours a day 7 days a week !

Life Member NRA
.357 Handi
.35 Handi

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: .357 maximum loads
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 09:41:22 AM »
You will find a few 200gr loads, but the 225's are just a bit much for this case, powder wise. If you where looking for a lo-vel plinker load maybe, but the velocity would be mighty slow.

Best results come form 180's.  I like 1680 powder personally,
 CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 11:44:12 AM »
Which Barnes bullet are you talking about? If it is one of the solid copper types, they will take different load data from a regular lead core bullet. I have never shot any thing heavier than a 200 grain round nose. I prefer the 180's like CW. With the Barnes bullets, I think they want to have at least a .050" bullet jump. The bullet is quite a bit heavier constructed than most conventional bullets. You may not be able to get enough velocity to get them open. I think they have a newer style that has a "ballistic" tip, that is suppose to open up better. I have been using reloading data for pistols in mine. Beware that there is a wide variety of data out there for the 357 Max. The newer data has pressure levels lower than a 30-30. I think some of the older data is much higher. There is a lot of controversy swirling around what is safe. I think they have cut the pressure levels because of problems that have been encountered with revolvers. I know I haven't really answered your question, but thought I would mention some issues with the 357 Max. I have one and like it a lot, in a Handi rifle. I am using data that probably is of the older persuasion. My Speer #14 (the latest one) loading manual lists 48K CUP as max pressure. I have been informed that 40K psi is the new pressure level and the Speer manual just isn't up to date. In most cases the CUP is lower than psi readings, but not in all. It gets kind of confusing. For a 220 grain Speer bullet they list 18.5 grains of H110 as a max load for a muzzle velocity of 1541 out of a 14" T/C. For the Nosler's 225 cut that by 10% and work your way up in .5 grain increments. When you get to about 1500 fps, call it good if you are using a 14" barrel. If you are using a revolver, stop at about 1300 fps or so - I am guessing here a little so proceed with caution. Any way Good Luck and Good Shooting, but be safe. BTW Nosler's latest manual does not list any thing heavier than 180 grains. I suspect that the 225 grain bullets are too heavily constructed for the Max.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 12:17:44 PM »
Something else to consider, the max for all intent and purpose, is a PISTOL round. Designed around the .357 diameter bullets.

200 is top weight in jacketed at .357 diameter. Jumping to .358 RIFLE diameter bullets with same load, will raise pressures. Remember, most all data is from .357dia pistol bullets.

Now I have been using them for some time and I am in no way suggesting that they are not safe. You just need to know all the facts, you cannot just take a printed load and substitute different bullets. ESPECIALLY when those bullets may be of larger diameters.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Mr. Tree

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 02:04:09 PM »
My favorite load uses an obsolete Lyman #358627 hard cast. This is a 215 gr, SWC, with 2 crimp grooves, a huge lube groove, and a gas check. With 19.2 gr. W-296 and small rifle primers I get almost 1700 fps out of my Rugers and Dan Wesson. Glen E. Fryxel has several excellent articles on the Max and cast bullets.