Author Topic: LEFT HAND REMINGTON 798 RIFLE!!!  (Read 3651 times)

Offline coyote trapper1928

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
    • North Country Outdoors
coyote trapper1928

Offline benchracer

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: LEFT HAND REMINGTON 798 RIFLE!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 12:17:09 AM »
I hope they actually decide to put it in production.  So far, my bolt action rifles are all Remington rifles.  I have always been able to find just what I am looking for from them, until I started tinkering with surplus mausers.  The more I messed with those, the more I found myself wishing for a LH '98 mauser.  Well, whaddaya know!  Maybe wishes do come true!

Offline db22

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 01:39:56 PM »
I hope they do start selling them here, as Charles Daly did when they imported the same Zastava line. I've heard good things and bad about them -- they're a bargain, no, wait, they're a gunsmith's dream (rough out of the box, needing every refinement in the book to become good shooters). I'd just like an action in the white, as the start of a project gun. It's a better bet to keep an eye on the used gun racks and hope a LH beater Savage or Remmy shows up.

Being left-handed is a challenge, unless you have an oil well in your back yard . . .
"The said constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." -- Samuel Adams

Offline benchracer

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 08:36:30 AM »
I broke down and bought a LH Ruger 77 MkII a few months ago because it is the closest that I can get to a genuine LH mauser.  I would still love to have a left hand 798, however.  Has anyone heard whether Remington plans to import the LH Zastava actions?

Offline db22

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 10:58:05 AM »
benchracer -- Me too, a used .30-'06 LH Ruger. Refinished the stock, mounted a good 4X scope, started handload tests, then the snow came down and closed the shooting season 'til things warm up a bit. Hope your new rifle is a good one. What cartridge is it chambered for?

Yep, a perfect 98 Mauser action, held up to a mirror, barreled in .257 Roberts and stocked in pretty walnut in the style of Lenard Brownell, checkered like a pre-war M70, scoped with a Leupold 4X. What could be better?
"The said constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." -- Samuel Adams

Offline benchracer

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 05:16:13 AM »
My rifle, too, is chambered in 30-06.  It is one of the last of the non-Hawkeye 77 MkII's.  However, I have never fired it. 

From the beginning, I bought it with the intent to use it as a base for a custom rifle.  Very soon, I plan to send it to Pac-Nor to have a new barrel fitted and chambered in 6.5-06AI.  Then, it will be sent off to Accurate Innovations to be fitted with a nice walnut stock that will be a clone of a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight stock with schnabel forend and wraparound fluer-de-lis checkering.  Haven't decided for sure on the scope, but I am leaning toward a Swarovski Z6 1.7-10x42.

I expect this rifle to be a pleasure to carry afield and I am dreaming of the day when I can do just that...

Offline superdown

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 07:35:26 AM »
That link is for the 276 pedersen I dont see the remington ?

Offline db22

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 10:48:36 AM »
Benchracer -- Holy smoke!! If you get a mind to sell the factory stock from your lefty M77, please contact me. That will be some good shooter when it is completed!! There's a lot of talk about the efficiency of 6.5mm bullets. The AI/ought-six case should provide more than enough push to send 'em waaay out there. Post a picture when you get it back from the stockmaker!

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 11:56:18 AM »
I'll be picking that up tomarrow and get it broke down to the action getting ready to send off, I Brad AKA Benchracer wants to sell parts I take off, make a deal with him and I'll make sure they get shipped to you.  Whadda ya say Brad wanna sell parts? 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline benchracer

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009, 06:07:01 PM »
Might as well find a good home for the stock and the barrel.  I don't even really know what to charge, though.  I suppose that can be figured out as we go along.  Mostly, I would be interested in knowing about the projects they are being used on.  Sounds like fun to me!

Offline benchracer

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 05:50:42 AM »
Well, Big Green has dropped the ball once again!  Any hope of a LH 798 has died a quiet death since the Zastava made rifles are no longer being imported by Remington.  In hindsight, it appears that my decision to buy a LH Ruger 77 Mark II and have a custom rifle built was a good way to go. 

I have been a fan of Remington products for nearly 30 years, but haven't purchased a Remington product for nearly ten years.  It has been that long since Big Green made anything that appealed to me.  My last two purchases have been Rugers.  Now that Ruger is making LH Hawkeyes in short action, they might sell me one of those if they ever chamber it in .260 Rem with a 1:8 twist.

My Remingtons are still the class of my battery of firearms, but they appear to represent Remington as it once was, rather that what it is now.  What a shame!

Offline huntswithdogs

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 09:38:54 AM »
I'm still waitng to see who's gonna take up where Remington left off, where the Zastava rifles were concerned. Maybe whomever brings them back will have some kind of availability. Big Green decided from the get go, that they weren't gonna release these out to any major chains, so I never got to lay hands on one of them. I'd like to handle the rifle before buying one, sight unseen.

HWD