Author Topic: Age of Winchester M70 Classic Stainless  (Read 784 times)

Offline Harry Snippe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Age of Winchester M70 Classic Stainless
« on: April 18, 2009, 08:31:56 AM »
I just aquired a Winchester Classic stainless in 300 Wm.I was thinking of replacing the recoil pad with a Limbsaver , and need to know if this gun is pre 99 or post .Ser. #G318019.
I have read some of the posts on Winchester bolt actions and am somewhat confused When who /When / Made What / when it came to the marked  Winchester built  were made .

Don't need a lot of History , just enough to be able to order parts should need parts or change the stock sort of thing .
Thanking you All in Advance
Happy
Happy

Offline fishmasty

Re: Age of Winchester M70 Classic Stainless
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 03:00:54 PM »

Offline mudstud

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 03:49:17 PM »
My best guess is that your rifle was made in 1999.  That does present a problem as far as determing whether to use a pre-99 pad or a post-99 pad, now, doesn't it!   ;D  I don't know what the difference is between the two types, the stocks look the same IMHO.  I once had my gunsmith install a pre-99 Limbsaver pad on a 1998 Stainless Classic with the "All-Terrain" style synthetic stock (different stock than yours).  He had to drill a new hole in the stock for the lower screw (very small problem for a gunsmith), otherwise it fit quite well.  I suspect the screw holes are where the difference is between the two types, but I don't know this for a fact.  If you can inspect the pads before you buy, I believe I would measure the distance between the screws on your rifles pad, and then do the same to the two different types of pads.  Hope I've been of some help!  Maybe someone else knows just what the difference is for sure.

Offline Rangr44

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 03:34:42 AM »
If you can't make a direct, hands-on comparison, then I would order the post-99 pad.

(Mayhaps, whence it's ordered from offers a return/swap policy ?)

There's a Place for All God's Creatures - Right Next to the Potatoes & Gravy ! !

Offline fishmasty

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 09:18:40 AM »
1954   http://armscollectors.com/sn/winlookup.php

Did  either one of you 2 see this??!!! 1954 is not 1999,... :o

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 09:37:38 AM »
True enough but then in 1954 Winchester WAS NOT making rifles from stainless so that date has no relavance.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Skunk

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 09:50:52 AM »
1954   http://armscollectors.com/sn/winlookup.php
Did  either one of you 2 see this??!!! 1954 is not 1999,... :o

Winchester didn't even start using letter prefixes ("G") until around 1969. My guess is also around 1999 for the above rifle. Fishmasty, those date links you find on the internet usually don't work for Model 70 lettered serial numbers.
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline Harry Snippe

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 03:34:41 AM »
Well Guys  :)
If the catalog says pre 99 or post 99 I would like to know a bit more than just maybe 99 as I am ordering the part out of  the area were I live , and don't really want to pay double the shipping charges flipping a coin which pad to order . If it is just a matter of drilling a new screw no problem, but if the stock otherwise is different ,I just opened the package and therefore can't return the item. That's the policy. you open you bought it.
This 70 model has a black synetic stock and the pad looks like a winchester part but looks like it might have been removed a few times by the wear on the screw holes , so I am not even sure it came with the stock.
The stock shows some wear as some one might have used some very light sandpaper to hide a scratch, and the metal parts look as brand new out of the box with no wear or marks at all.So the stock I think was buffed
Only other thing I can tell you is that it is a control round feed taking hold of the cartridge as soon as it leaves the mag.
If this Helps great , if not I tried
Thanks
Happy
Happy