Author Topic: So why won't a pre-64 Mod 70 synth stock fit on a pre-64 Featherweight ?  (Read 2049 times)

Offline mannyrock

• Trade Count: (1)
Ok Guys,

This question is for the really hard core Model 70 experts.

My research, and others, have confirmed that all pre-64 Model 70s are long action, INCLUDING the pre-64 featherweight models.

Bell & Carlson sells a synthetic stock, for pre-64s, describing them as long action, but then also saying that they will NOT fit featherweights.

My question is, why??   What could be so different between a regular pre-64 Model 70, and a featherweight pre-64 Model 70, that the stock won't fit??   Surely, the differences between these barreled actions must be very small?

Is the distance and spacing of the action screws different?  (I can't imagine it would be.)

I thought that the only difference between the actions was the substitution of a few aluminum parts into the featherweight, to make it lighter, and perhaps having a lighter barrel.

Thanks for any and all information, large and small.

Mannyrock

Offline Skunk

• Trade Count: (2)
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline Rangr44

• Trade Count: (6)
[perhaps having a lighter barrel.]

No "perhaps" about it - not only is the barrel contour different, but AFAIK the location of the rear sight boss, which takes a hold-down screw, is different than on standard M-70's - thus most likely making it fall in a different, unsupported, part of their synthetic stock.

There's a Place for All God's Creatures - Right Next to the Potatoes & Gravy ! !

Offline Headache

• Trade Count: (0)
mannyrock,

The pre-64 action screws spacing is shorter then the post-64, the actions are not the same.  Also, the pre-64 featherweight barrel contour has a bulge (large section)  a few inches down the barrel.  This bulge has a dovetail in it fir the rear sight as well as a threaded hole at the bottom for a mounting screw.

Headache

PS:  I gave you this information in your earlier post!

Offline mannyrock

Headache,

Thanks for the info, but you have misread my question.  My question is:  What is the difference between the pre-64 featherweight bareled action, and the pre-64 standard barreled action?   (I already know that the post 64 is different.)

If the only difference between the two pre-64 actions is the barrel contour, and the location and contour of the rear sight barrel band and screw, then it would certainly be easy to solve this problem by taking the pre-fab sythentic stock made by B&C for the standard action  pre-64, and making minor modifications to it.

But, I have a suspicion that there are alot more differences than that, maybe in the bottom metal etc., which would as a practical matter make it impossible to modify the standard action stock to fit a featherweight.

So, I am trying to find out what those differences are?

Thanks,

Mannyrock

Offline Skunk

You could just give Bell & Carlson a call, an e-mail, a fax, or write them a letter and ask them about their stock. I'll bet they have the answer to your questions.

Bell and Carlson
101 Allen Road
Dodge City Industrial Park
Dodge City, KS 67801
Phone (620) 225-6688
Fax (620) 225-9095
E-Mail email@bellandcarlson.com

Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
My model 70 22 hornet was made in 1949 and has the barrel bulge or ring with the dovetail sight although it is not stamped Featherweight.
My model 70 270 made in 1961 has a smooth barrel with no bulge or ring and no dovetailed sight and is stamped Featherweight.
Not sure if this helps or complicates things.

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline bcp

• Avid Poster

The stock made for the Standard rifle will fit the Featherweight.  Sort of.

Actions are the same as far as inletting goes, from post WWII to 1964.  Pre-WWII actions have a different tang.  Barrels are different between Standard and Featherweight.

With a FW barreled action in a Standard stock:

1.  There will be a large gap around the rear of the barrel, narrowing toward the front of the forend.

2.  There will be a groove in the forend inletting about 1/8 deep and 1/2 inch wide where the barrel hold screw and rear sight were on the standard barrel.

3.  There will be a screw hole in the bottom of the forend, and nowhere for a screw to go in the FW barrel.

Bruce

Offline mannyrock

Bruce,

Thanks very much.  You have told me exactly what I wanted to know!  You are THE MAN!

Best Regards,

Mannyrock

Offline Hank08

• Trade Count: (35)
  • A Real Regular
Bruce has it right, Headache has it backward on the barrel bulge, The standard had it the featherweight didn't.
H08