Author Topic: New Idea? Probably not, but pretty cool anyway:-)  (Read 652 times)

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
New Idea? Probably not, but pretty cool anyway:-)
« on: March 30, 2009, 03:14:04 PM »
I've spent WAY too much money on shooting stuff the past 4 months.  So, when I was faced with resetting my powder measure meter after each change on my progressive, or spend more money for duplicate powder measure meters, I had a problem.

The first thing that I discovered was that, even if I wanted to buy more meters, NOBODY has any.

So, I got to figuring.............I didn't have a micrometer meter, but..........if I take the thing out (the meter), measure it with a dial caliper for length for each load that I work up, and write it down, I could set it back to the exact length for PERFECT reproducability every time.  It works like a champ!!!!!!

Yes, I know all of you progressive dudes figured this out eons ago, but I was pretty proud of myself anyway ;D ;D ;D ;)

Anybody have any other "kinks" on this progressive reloading stuff?  I for one would appreciate your thoughts.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free.  Ronaldus Maximus

Offline Darrell Davis

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: New Idea? Probably not, but pretty cool anyway:-)
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 05:28:17 AM »
Hey there skarke,

I have never been into the progressive loader mode, about the farthest I have gone is thought of a Square Deal B for a few handgun calibers.

However, I do use a powder measure on occasion.

So, the question is ---------------  are you talking about measuring the length of the stem that protrudes from the threaded portion which screws into the powder measure body?

If so, seems like this might indeed speed up returning to settings from the past.

Keep em coming!

CDOC
300 Winmag

Offline skb2706

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 04:40:02 AM »
No doubt it will work. I know you can purchase a micrometer adjustment stem for a couple of powder measures currently on the market that serve the same purpose.

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 02:08:04 PM »
This trick probably applies most to measures with removable meters (Hornady LNL measure, others).  It also works GREAT!  I have a Harrell that is a superb measure for my precision BR stuff, accurate to .1 grain with most all short stick and ball powders, and it has click adjustments and a scale that is absolutley reproduceable.

The progressive presses with powder measures often have removable meters that are easy to caliper, which I am doing.  It also saved me $30+ for the micrometer version, plus I didn't need to spend 100 hours searching for one on the net (like primers, powder, brass, bullets, etc.)

Hope this helps.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free.  Ronaldus Maximus

Offline Darrell Davis

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 03:04:03 PM »
Thanks Skarke,

I don't have a metered type measure, and have never put out tyhe bucks for one to fit my RCBS measure.

However, seems like measuring the stem length which fits in to the metering chamber might also save me some time.

Keep em coming!

CDOC
300 Winmag

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 10:15:51 AM »
That will work for specific powder on a specific day.  You can readjust and come back relatively close.  This is a great idea! 

If you change lots of powder, or if you have a huge change in temperature and humidity, I would still double check your load by measuring powder weight on a scale.  It will only take a second of your time and will most likely confirm you have measured correctly and have your powder bar adjusted exactly right.  It will also help throw up a red flag if you accidently used the wrong powder or maybe read the caliper setting wrong.

Just an additional nickles worth to add to an excellent idea.  Makes this idea worth about $10.05 now.  Someone pay the man!!

Steve :)
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline 41 mag

• Contributor
    • My Pictures
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 01:57:06 PM »
That's one of the things I love about my Uniflow measures. They have calibrated stems numbered from 1-6 or so, and in between each number you get 4 turns. When heading to the range to work up a load, it makes it easy to set up for min and max loads with several powders. Then just give the stem a 1/4 turn or less at a time till you hit something that groups. The big numbers are stamped on the stems, and the turns and incremental turns are noted for final weighing at the house.

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 04:09:52 AM »
RE the uniflow, yes, great measure.  The LNL came with my LNL AP press, and it too seems to be very accurate (once you make a baffle out of a tin can).  My favorite powder measure, hands down, is the Harrell, which is a piece of art.  It just doesn't work for progressives.

Stem length is working GREAT, +- .2 grains.  Just one twist and you are there.