Author Topic: tumbler problems  (Read 463 times)

Offline troy_mclure

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
tumbler problems
« on: April 08, 2009, 04:26:47 PM »
i have a frankford arsenal vibratory case tumbler.

i use walnut hulls.

while cleaning my 45/70, 7mm mag, .204, 10mm. the brass spins around and rises up thru the media, and circles back down like a whirlpool.

while TRYING to clean my 9mm brass it just sinks to the bottom, doesnt rise up off the bottom at all.

whats up with my tumbler?

Offline MrJames680

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Squirrels are just plain no good.
Re: tumbler problems
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 06:34:49 PM »
How does the 10mm do? Does it sink to the bottom more than the rest yet still kinda float? I had problems using a vibratory cleaner while polishing brass parts (not cases). All the smaller stuff seemed to sink down. I fixed the problem by changing the media size. I want to say I used smaller media. I was also using plastic beads and i was cleaning brass parts off a sailboat. But, it seems to me that it has something to do with the over all density of the cases your cleaning.

The only other thing I can think of is that there may be something wrong with a bushing, or rubber grommet, or spring that has changed the way it shakes. Hope that helped.

If the 9mm is still at least moving around its still being polished.

De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites. (Do not wish ill for your enemy, plan it)

Offline Doug B.

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
  • Still A Kid At Heart - 1971 Honda CT70H
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 12:14:53 AM »
That is the main reason that I use an actual tumbler. In fact, mine is actually made for tumbling rocks. It does not hold near the casings a vibratory polisher does, nor does it get he job done quite as fast. But it gets the job done, irregardless of what type of media, as long as the media is not "worn out".
"Be A Good Listener. Your Ears Will Never Get You In Trouble"

Cadott/Chippewa Falls, WI

Offline Savage

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 04:18:24 AM »
I don't think you have a problem. The small cases may not be surfacing, but bet they're not laying on the bottom! Do they come out as clean as the larger cases?
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline huntswithdogs

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 09:32:11 AM »
I noticed when cleaning handgun brass, it didn't seem to come up ad over like my rifle stuff, but it still got clean. I've started mixing rifle and pistol stuff now. The rifle stuff seems to help the rest  move around better.

HWD

Offline OR-E-Gun Bill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 10:04:18 AM »
I always figured it was just one of those miracles of nature, like when you shake the Cracker-Jacks box and all the big stuff magically comes to the top...

If the brass is clean, it's working fine.

Bill

Offline res45

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 01:37:30 PM »
I have the same tumbler and mine does the same thing,everything is fine I never had a problem with the brass coming out clean and shinny.
Linux Mint Mate 15

Offline troy_mclure

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 04:20:27 PM »
i usualy leave it in for 24hrs. it was still dirty, so i started it up again.

Offline OR-E-Gun Bill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 04:29:32 PM »

24 hours! And it's still dirty!
Houston, I think we have a problem...

Bill

Offline Doug B.

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
  • Still A Kid At Heart - 1971 Honda CT70H
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 11:19:49 PM »

Might be time for some new media I'm guessing, or did you just put W A Y too much brass in it? Even with my "rock tumbler" 6 hours max with really worn out media usually does the trick.
"Be A Good Listener. Your Ears Will Never Get You In Trouble"

Cadott/Chippewa Falls, WI

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 01:18:47 AM »
If you tumble more than 3-4 hours, change the media. Or put in some rejuvinator. Also, you can put in to much brass/media. I have a 20+ year old Lyman 1200. Put to much in, and it ''freeze's'' up. Everything just sits in the bowel and shakes, instead of moving around. Take out a handful or so, and it starts moving again. Never had any caliber brass, just sink to the bottom. If you loosen up or tighten the rubber gromet nut in the center, does that help. If I tighten mine up to much, it doesn't viberate as much. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2009, 01:27:27 AM »
If you tumble more than 3-4 hours, change the media. Or put in some rejuvenator. Also, you can put in to much brass/media. I have a 20+ year old Lyman 1200. Put to much in, and it ''freeze's'' up. Everything just sits in the bowel and shakes, instead of moving around. Take out a handful or so, and it starts moving again. Never had any caliber brass, just sink to the bottom. If you loosen up or tighten the rubber grommet nut in the center, does that help. If I tighten mine up to much, it doesn't vibrate as much. gypsyman

+1!!!  You have either too much in there and or shot media. I generally start mine up first thing in the AM and change it out at noon. I don't need it that long, but its convenient for me.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline res45

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2009, 04:57:21 AM »
24 hours man thats way longer than I have ever tumbled brass to get it clean and shinny,about 4 hours is the longest I have ever had to tumble brass to get it like factory new ,even old  tarnished surplus military brass and bullets.  How much brass are you putting in the hopper at one time.  I usually run about 100 LR cases at a time through mine about twice that many pistol cases. 

I use corn cob media and three cap fulls of Nu-finish car polish and never have had to add anymore polish.  It usually last for several month before it gets to dirty to clean and polish effectively and gets thrown out.  As others have stated sounds like you need to either cut back on the  number of cases at one time,change the media out or add some polish or do all the above.
Linux Mint Mate 15