Author Topic: Bullet Seater question for everyone  (Read 721 times)

Offline Nick Allen

• Trade Count: (5)
Bullet Seater question for everyone
« on: May 20, 2009, 01:49:55 PM »
I am just checking interest in a item I might be offering as well as my breech plugs.  I have an idea for a new seater that fits the existing ram rod of the Sidekick/Huntsman. This new seater plug would allow the use of the newer type bullets that are pointed. It will seat them without damaging the tip.

If there is something already out there like this. Well, then I guess, I am living under a rock, and just couldn't find one, so please excuse my post :) But if you guys think this might be usefull for ya please let me know.

Thanks
Nick

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
Re: Bullet Seater question for everyone
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 02:53:37 PM »
Nick,

The only ones I know of are the ones a nice gentleman from Manitoba made for me. These were a one time custom deal, and they work like a dream. That useless thing that comes standard is worthless for running a patch or pushing bullets. The only bullets it pushes well are flat-nosed or hollow points.

A jag like this would be very useful, I know the guys would love something like that.

Here are a couple old pics of mine, the barbed rings are tapered to allow for overlapping patch material. This jag also is threaded to lock the rod in the closed position, which is a must for hunting. The hollow cavity allows you to load any of the pointed bullets currently on the market. Let me know if you want some dimensions or better pics.

U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline bubba

• Trade Count: (62)
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 04:21:28 PM »
I would think it would sell very well Nick.  In fact I would take one for my standard rod.  My advice go for it.
”A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.”

Molon Labe

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Keith Lewis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 05:28:46 PM »
I think most of the serious Huntsman/Sidekick owners have sent for the Hubbard Outdoors ramrod that is two inches longer than the stock one when extended, made out of Naval brass with an aluminum handle and is about 200% stronger than stock rod, has the correct threads for accessories and has a pointed bullet type of end. You might have a few owners that are satisfied with the stock rod and they would go for the new tip but I am not sure there is a big market. The Hubbard rod is so much better I could not consider using a stock rod again.

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 03:46:51 PM »
I think it would be a good idea. Currently I use Dead Centar bullets and use the plastic bullet pusher they include that fits the plastic tip of the bullet. I just push on it with the existing ramrod and then point the barrel down and it falls out as it is smaller than the bore diameter. Every 10 pak of bullets contain one.

Offline Nick Allen

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 04:04:13 PM »
Thanks for that tip Keith. I didn't know that Hubbards rod included the seater plug. I guess I'll just wait and see how many think they need one or would like to see one available.

Rob, your seaters look great man. If we decide to do this I will for sure be in touch with ya. :)

Nick :)

Offline Keith Lewis

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 05:13:09 AM »
I have never figured out how to load pictures or I would send one of the Hubbard rod. By the way your breechplug rocks!!!! Have not had much time to shoot lately but it is still a great improvement for the NEF Huntsman that I have.

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 06:20:35 AM »
I think most of the serious Huntsman/Sidekick owners have sent for the Hubbard Outdoors ramrod that is two inches longer than the stock one when extended, made out of Naval brass with an aluminum handle and is about 200% stronger than stock rod, has the correct threads for accessories and has a pointed bullet type of end. You might have a few owners that are satisfied with the stock rod and they would go for the new tip but I am not sure there is a big market. The Hubbard rod is so much better I could not consider using a stock rod again.

Keith,

I consider myself a serious Huntsman/Sidekick owner, but I am going to have to disagree with you on this one. Not the fact that the Hubbard rod is better than stock because we all know it is, but your statement that most have sent for the Hubbard rod. I use a Knight range rod for all my loading and cleaning, I even take it in my truck when hunting. The only time I use my extendable rod is for a follow up shot in the field. I have used it on several in the field reloads, but the first load always did the trick. I have never had a problem using it as designed with the after market jags. I would be surprised if more than 5%-10% of the guys ever purchased the Hubbard rod. The Hubbard rod is nice, but a range rod it is not. I would rather buy the range rod that will be used 99% of the time, and get a nice jag for the standard rod in the field. The Hubbard rod still needs to be extended in the field to load a bullet, just like the standard rod.

I really think these jags/bullet seaters would be a welcomed accessory. This would allow you to actually use the standard rod to load pointed bullets, run a patch, clean the rifle in the field.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline snapcrackpop

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • A Real Regular
  • Baloo - blue weim
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 03:27:06 AM »
I would like to see a picture of the Hubbard rod as well.

Has anyone done tests to see if "a little tip deformation" actually affects accuracy in the BP ranges? Say 50-150 yards....     
In other words is a bullet seater for pointed bullets really neccesary?

I use the standard rod and the Knight range rod.  I have yet to shoot at a deer with my ML.
Got:
Handi VP 22/410, 410, 20, 17M2, .223, 357MAX, 50cal ML SS w/MU plug

Offline Keith Lewis

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, 04:43:52 AM »
Busta: I guess I just believed that there were more that used the Hubbard rod based on how much improved it is and the fact that the extra two inches in length when extended is a big advantage when the rod has to be used. I also use range rods when targeting or shooting for fun but when hunting I do not want to carry an extra rod. Thats what happens when you find something that is really good and just guess that everyone else feels the same. I know some just carry a small dowel and drop that in the barrel to make the standard rod long enough. I also know the standard rod is strong enough if you do not extend it to seat the bullet the first half of the barrel. All this was just more than I wanted to deal with.

Offline MikeC

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2009, 05:04:41 AM »
I like the Hubbard rod very much, but I only use it for hunting. I use a TC range rod for general use. Here are some  photos from a while back, with limited detail. The Hubbard rod (collapsed) is a little longer than the stock rod (which broke on me). It sticks out to the end of the barrel, so a longer bullet seater would stick out even fruther. The bullet seater I use (I forgot the maker) rotates as it goes down the barrel, a nice feature I think if that could be added as well Nick.

Offline MikeC

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2009, 05:06:30 AM »
Sorry guys, the photos looked better on my computer. In the post they are not as nice and can't see any detail at all.

Offline Keith Lewis

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2009, 09:19:03 AM »
If you click on the pictures it will bring them up full screen size and the detail is there. You may have to move the pictures around on the screen a little but the detail is good enough.

Sorry guys, the photos looked better on my computer. In the post they are not as nice and can't see any detail at all.

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2009, 12:28:59 PM »
I don't really care for the Hubbards rod either the extra 2" is usless in the .45 as the knurl on the handle will not clear the bore.Also I think that being aluminum on the handle it takes something away from the brass look. I use a range rod all the time except for when I make a shot out in the field while hunting. I think you maybe could sell a few but I'm not sure I would use one as I shoot all full bore bullets and they are all flat top.Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"