Author Topic: My P3AT doesn't work  (Read 3314 times)

Offline v-man

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
My P3AT doesn't work
« on: May 25, 2008, 10:05:46 AM »
I haven't read anything bad about the P3AT by mine is junk. The take down pin slides out a little with every round fired and if you don't push it back in after 4 rounds it comes out. The extracter fails to work about 1 out of every 3 or 4 rounds. The way the breech drops as the slide starts back is just enough for the extractor to lose it's grip and leave the empty still half in and half out of the chamber. I bought it new on sale for $120. They will try to fix it if I pay about $70 Fedex. It hardly seems worth it. Am I the ony one who has been ripped off on these things?

Offline doubleaes2

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: My P3AT doesn't work
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 11:11:31 AM »
Are you sure this was 100% new when you purchased it?  That price seems incredibly low.  On the issue with the takedown pin, it sounds to me like the spring that holds it i is not seated correctly.  Perhaps you can ask Keltec to issue you a call tag, if you explain to them that this pistol is brand new and has not worked for you from day one.
A gun is a tool. No better, no worse than any other tool. A hammer, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the person using it.

Offline doubleaes2

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 11:13:21 AM »
On the extractor issue, have you checked to make sure the extractor screw is tight?  And that there is nothing possibly under the extractor causing it to loose tension?  Also make sure you are not limp-wristing the pistol, which is rather easy to do on these.  It will cause incomplete extraction.  This is a good place to help diagnose your problems.

http://www.gunsmith.fuselier.com/function.html
A gun is a tool. No better, no worse than any other tool. A hammer, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the person using it.

Offline nrb

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 01:49:57 AM »
If you don't want your P3AT, I'll give you your cost plus shipping!!!!!

best,  nrb

Offline damascusblade5

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 07:04:16 PM »
 Can you tell me where I can buy one new for $120, that is more like Hi Point prices.
As my good friend William Lee Golden sings"Thank God For Kids"

Offline steveus

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 01:50:43 AM »
According to what model you have, dealer cost is around $210.  Something just doesn't sound right.  If it was indeed new, I'm sure Kel-tec would do something for you.  Any chance it was stolen?
Steve
Please join the NRA!!!  We couldn't be having all this fun without it.

Offline v-man

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 05:18:53 PM »
OK guys, my bad. I checked my receipts, The junky Cobra derringer was $120. The P3AT was NIB and on sale at local gun store for $220. Now to the important part. The extractor screw is very tight and tension is very strong. I would like to find that it is something as simple as limp-wristing but having owned 20 or more pistols of all sizes and having shot over 20,000 rounds without ever having that problem, I doubt it, but I will consider it next time at the range. I am probably left with no choice but to send it in. Thanks for your feedback.

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 07:21:32 PM »
My wife's is junk too. Jams constantly. Put a deposit down for a new Ruger clone. It has to be better -- couldn't be much worse.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline cascadedad

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 10:59:18 AM »
There is a TON of info/help on these guns on the internet.  I recently bought one and before shooting it, I cleaned it, did a "fluff & buff" and oiled/greased as described on another internet site.  I took it to the range and fired 70+ rounds (3 different kinds of ammo) through it without even a hint of a hickup.  The P3AT has to be carefully maintained.  Clean and well lubricated.

If you are not willing to put the effort into it, it probably won't be reliable for you.  Then again, the new Ruger probably will not be either.

Having said that, If you have cleaned, lubed and broken in as necessary, send it in to KT.  I have heard their CS is very good.

Offline Star1pup

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 12:05:59 PM »
Mine was shot very little, but I carried it a lot.  Decided it was time to run a bunch through it last week and had a problem.  The first round went off fine, but all I got on the next was a misfire.  After going through the hangfire procedure I checked the round to see that there was a very small dent in the primer.  I switch to another brand of ammo just to be sure and it still would not fire.  Same small dent and when I checked the empty of the round that fired there was a healthy dent in the primer.

I haven't had time to take it apart since then.  I'm sure not a gunsmith, but I guess I'll have to give it a try.  Any advice?

Until then it's my S&W revolver in my holster, but that little Kel-Tec is sweet during summer when I have on light clothes.

Offline cascadedad

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 06:46:43 AM »
I've only had my P-3AT for a short time and I am not an expert.  But,,,,,I have done a lot of reading about them.

They have to be kept very clean and well lubed.  If I were you, I would take the gun apart and clean it very well with Gunscrubber that is ok for use on plastic.  Flush it out really good, 2 or three times and blow it out with compressed air.  Then grease the rails, hammer and hammer interface and oil springs, barrel and hinge points.  Also, take the magazine apart and clean.  Lightly oil the spring and follower.

TONS of info out there on the KTOG site about these guns.

This site has some very good info on reliability and lubing these guns.

http://www.goldenloki.com/guns/keltec/keltec.htm

Offline cascadedad

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 06:53:13 AM »
One other thing.....these guns are NOT a Glock.  Most people that have 100% confidence in these guns clean and lube them after every range session.  If it is carried for quite a while without shooting it, take it apart and clean it and lube it.

IF you want a gun you can kind of neglect along the way, these are probably not the right gun for you.  But then again, none of the ultra small/light semi-autos will be.

Offline rbstern

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 07:46:53 AM »
I bought a generation 1 P3AT from a man who was very frustrated with it (after it had already gone back to Kel Tec once).

I did a fluff and buff, reshaped the feed ramp a bit, and then experimented with various reloads (overall cartridge length, bullet shape) for optimal reliability. 

After these efforts, it fires Remington UMC FMJ reliably, and a couple of home brew JHP and lead round nose loads that work 100% of the time.  It has to be kept clean.  Going more than 100 rounds and then carrying it without a cleaning is asking for trouble.  Tolerences are too tight to accomodate a lot of residue.  Not a combat pistol with built in tolerance for field grime.

A friend has a generation 2 P3AT, and it is pretty much 100% reliable.  I shoot side by side with him at the range, and using the ammo I described, neither gun fails to work.

It is what it is:  A ridiculously small and easy to carry 380 pistol that can be cantankerous to feed if you don't work at it a bit.  If you don't reload, it's best to try as many brands and styles of ammo as you can afford, till you find a reliable match.  Even if it's FMJ, that's what you should carry in it.  If you do reload, solving the feed and eject reliability problems is fairly easy by matching components that work well in your gun.  The Lee Factory Crimp Die is also useful in ensuring a reliable feeding cartridge.

Offline Bernie1

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2008, 07:32:43 PM »
  Sometime the screw that holds the extracter, will bottom out on the firing pin and keep it from moving properly.  Bernie

Offline slim rem 7

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2008, 07:16:25 AM »
 just wait until its broke in.. everything should wear into its little knook and you will have an small .380 that will shoot anything in .380 cal. ..but i wouldn t shoot+ p in it..
 not necessary..in any case it should wear into dependability that is as good as a simple 22.. rifle.. don t over lube it.. :) good luck

Offline v-man

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2008, 01:36:29 PM »
To be fair, let me tell you all that after filing, grinding and bending parts way more than I should on a warrantied pistol. I cried "uncle" and called Keltec. I told them all I had done and that I know I deserve to be punished but the gun truly was a lemon out of the box. They said send it in and I did. They fixed it no charge and I took it to the range Monday. One box of ammo and not a single problem. Kudos to Keltec. That kind of customer service is what I look for.

Offline keyman

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2009, 12:32:22 PM »
I purchased a P3AT  [new unit] and had a problem. After 200 rounds the unit would not fire any ammo of any kind. Kel Tec turned my unit around back to me in 14 days free of charge. I have since fired approx. 500 rounds with out a ftf. Kel tec backs their products with a life time guarantee on new registered guns. Your dealer should have taken the responsibility to make the return arrangements, if the gun was fairly new. You can also call Kel Tec yourself to discuss your situation. Have fun at the range guys.    Keyman

Offline slim rem 7

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2009, 11:44:01 AM »
 selling a gun that in my dealers words requires an polish job before its right is a bad idea..i just don t think the guns in general require anything but ,the user learning to use it right..i don t recommend these to anyone who doesnt plan to shoot it enough to learn the dos an don ts..
 thats what snubbies are for..
 don t limpwrist it ,don t over lube it.,don t, let it go indefinitly without cleaning the action.. i follow these guidelines an mine shoots about any .380 i put in it..but these factors are enough that i would not recommend one to my sister.. she needs a good snubby..jmo slim

Offline woodchuckssuck

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2009, 05:47:40 AM »
You should keep ANY handgun your going to stake your life on CLEAN, and well lubed. Kel-tecs seem to NEED a high-quality gun grease on the slide rails, and hammer/slide interface (light amount for both) to run better. Everything else needs but a drop of good quality oil, CorrosionX for guns is my personal favorite, keeps rust away too. Ive read just as much bad about the ruger lcp, and honestly, ruger has a liberal attitude on magazine capacity, where kel-tec does not. Kel-tec also stands behind their products, good luck finding that elsewhere.

clean it, lube it using proper lubes, and then try shooting high-quality ammo out of it. Maybe even polish the feedramp, something I think kel-tec should start doing, it would take but a few short minutes with an air die grinder, polishing tip and stick of jewelers rouge.

All that said, Ill be my life on my P-11. though id rather carry my 1911, that gun is just too heavy and bulky to cc.

Offline jeager106

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2009, 05:31:24 PM »
Mine is very ammo sensitive.
If you even mention wolf the gun runs away and can't be found for days on end.
Federal Hydrashock not only works fine but actually EXPANDS well in water jugs.
It's the ONLY expanding bullet I'll use in the Kel-Tec.
Some ammo that looks like it's slicker than Bill Clinton won't work at all.
It had slanted shoulders but hangs up out of battery by a half inch.

So far it love Remington hardball, will digest it all day.
Some might suggest such a small gun ought to be loadd with hardball only and put the round through the computer.
I like that notion.
The old Winchester Silvertip hangs up in the thing.
The guys are right, keep it completely CLEAN and lightly lubed, it's only your life at stake.

Offline Ken Rummer

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2009, 04:24:33 AM »
Mine never worked well enough.  It would jam after four rounds.  I did the polishing recommended on the Kel-Tec website twice.  Since I want a carry gun to be reliable, I traded it for a Ruger LCP.   First range trip with the Ruger the LCP ran 50 rounds without a failure.

Offline ice

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2009, 08:15:34 AM »
What a lot of buyers of small semi automatic handguns don`t realize is because of the small size and weight of these types of firearms, they need a little more care.
All low priced semi s need to be cleaned and lubed properly. And kept clean.
I would not consider carrying a small semi automatic hand gun without doing a fluff and buff on it, and checking it for function on a regular basis.