Author Topic: die question  (Read 528 times)

Offline Diesel40

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
die question
« on: April 11, 2009, 04:49:57 PM »
Can you help a new guy clear up a little confusion?  I am getting into reloading and came along a lee challanger breech lock single stage press but I need to get dies and am a little confused on the collet neck sizer and the full length sizer.  Can someone help clarify when one is need or the other, do I need both?  Also I shoot a H & R single shot in 243, so do I need the Factory crimp die?  Thanks for the help.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Re: die question
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 04:56:30 PM »
Diesel

The Collet die will only size the neck of the case , whereas the FL sizer will size the neck , sholder and case body , for the H&R you will be able to get by with the Collet for a few loadings but at some point you will need to bump the sholder back due to the flex of the frame .

As for the FCD , I don't crimp for single shots , the neck tention is enough to hold the bullet just fine .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 12:12:54 AM »
I agree with Stimpy. just to clarify, buy the FULL LEGNTH DIE SET and don't worry about the collet set.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 01:33:12 AM »
 ;D  The above +1  BUT you'll need to learn to size ONLY the neck with the FL sizer!   Once you have done all the fiddling, fussing and messing with your brass when you've fired it in that Handi chamber it has just become a custom component in your accuracy program.  If you full length resize it after that you'll have changed a big component!  How pickey would you like to get?  Some will mark the breech face cartridge case and size die so that it is always in the same orientation reletive to each other.  Aint it FUN!!
 ;D ;D ;D
Butler Ford
He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.-Leonardo da Vinci
An armed society is a polite society-Robert A. Heinlein
Only the dead have seen the end of war- Plato
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey
tomorrow I may have to eat them- A lady's sweatshirt

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 05:16:59 AM »
We've all said this before, but it is really important.  Buy a good reloading manual, maybe two, but one should definitely be the Lyman book.  It is the opus magnus of handloading for the newbie.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free.  Ronaldus Maximus

Offline Catfish

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 01:14:40 PM »
What they said. Plus I don`t like anything Lee as it will not hold up with the amount of ammo I load. To get started your press will be good enough at least untill you find out that your going to be loading 1,000 of rounds of ammo. I would recomand though, that you buy RCBS or Hornady dies and not Lee. There are some dies better than these, but unless your getting into benchrest shooting you don`t need them. Rember you are working with presures close to 60,000 psi safely, but one little mistake can take you up around 100,000 psi. and that will make a real mess when your gus is scattered all over the range.

Offline wncchester

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 01:50:39 PM »
Catfish: "..I don`t like anything Lee as it will not hold up with the amount of ammo I load. To get started your press will be good enough at least untill you find out that your going to be loading 1,000 of rounds of ammo."

Diesel, I'm sure Catfish is right. For him.   Maybe for others loading thousands of  rounds of ammo a year too.  But I doubt his choices will have any relivance to you and your H&R .243.  Many avid loading folks on the web want to see others make the choice that is right for them, not the poster!  But you won't be burning through ammo like those who love to make a lot of noise with an auto on the range.  The press and dies you mention will do a good job for you and your neat little rifle, just as they do for a LOT of others who understand just a little about machinery, folks such as a diesel guy!  ;)

Actually, you would do very well with a Lee "Delux" die set.  It includes both a Full Length and an excellant (collet type) neck die, as well as a good bullet seater die.  And includes a shell holder too, which will save you about $7 over others.  You will find that ammo loaded on those tools will be as good as any on the range with you, skill counts far more than the brand of tools.  On average, any one brand of modern loading tools will do as good a job as any others, IF it's used correctly.  If it's not used correctly, no tools will do anyone much good! 

IF you ever want to try crimping, buying an excellant Lee Factory Crimp die is an inexpensive option, it's perhaps the best crimper available at any price.

Get the gear, reload, shoot and enjoy it!
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline Diesel40

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 03:10:11 AM »
Thanks for your input guys, I appreciate the help.  My next step is to get a couple of manuals and start reading.  Lyman is going to be my first choice.

Offline Diesel40

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 01:23:27 PM »
As far as the crimper is concerned, would it be safe to just go ahead and do it for safety sake of bumping the bullet.  As far as accuracy and loads are concerned does the crimp make much of a difference?  Thanks for your help.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 01:42:58 PM »
As far as the crimper is concerned, would it be safe to just go ahead and do it for safety sake of bumping the bullet.  As far as accuracy and loads are concerned does the crimp make much of a difference?  Thanks for your help.

Sure you can do it if you want. Its just not necessary in a single shot.

Yes a crimp can make allot of difference in some cases with certain powders. it has more purpose than to just retain the bullet in the case.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline wncchester

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 02:12:13 PM »
"... a crimp can make allot of difference in some cases with certain powders..."

CW is absolutely correct; "a crimp (of anykind) can...", but nothing is an absolute truth in reloading.  But, crimping is not unsafe, either way.  It usually does affect accuracy to some degree, we just can't tell you which way!
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline Diesel40

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 05:40:55 PM »
10-4, thanks.