Author Topic: Boght my boy his first "real gun"  (Read 1426 times)

Offline Matt in AK

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Boght my boy his first "real gun"
« on: February 22, 2003, 02:07:04 PM »
:D Wasn't really planning on buying anything at the gun show today....but, there was this beautiful, but very dirty, little Ruger Super Single Six Convertible with the both cyclinders (22 LR and 22 Win Mag) for a pretty decent price ($200).  My son (9 years old) was right there with me...and it just fit his hand like a glove :wink: .    We took it to the range today and it shoots like a dream.  Now he's got his camping, hunting, and fishing gun :grin:
Isaiah 6:8

Offline DennisB

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Contributor
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2003, 06:30:31 PM »
Matt:

Pretty decent price for Alaska.  Was that at the Wasilla show or the one at the Sullivan?  (I can't remember which was when).  My wife got me one of those Single Sixes for Christmas of '82 when we lived in base housing over on Citrus ave.  Shot a lot of spruce hens and snowshoe bunnies with it.  I still carry it with the WMR cylinder any time I'm out on the pasture.
Dennis In Ft Worth

Offline Matt in AK

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2003, 03:35:31 AM »
Dennis,
The gun show was in Eagle River at the Lions Club on Eagle River Road.  The gun has some holster wear but the bore is beautiful.  It was pretty crudded up on the outside but cleaned up quite nicely.
Isaiah 6:8

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
huh we must have crossed paths Matt!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2003, 10:36:40 PM »
I was in Anch for the Rondy and managed to sneak away to that gun show for a little while. Was a nice little show but I couldn't find anything I couldn't resist.  That revolver sounds like a great deal.

Man oh man please drill gun safety into your boy's head. It is so easy to get a handgun barrel pointed the wrong way even for normally careful folks.

I fought with my dad from age 16 to 19 when I finally bought my first 22 handgun.  By then I'd spent 5 yrs on the rifle team and lots of shooting safety drill time.  First time out with that little gun it really dawned on me how easy it is to get those short barrels pointed wrong.  There was no close call or accident to scare me, just by handling the gun it came clear why my dad had been so reluctant for me to have a handgun.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline K2

• Contributor
Re: Boght my boy his first "real gun"
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2004, 09:11:50 AM »
Excellent Matt!!

The single six is a good way to introduce the boy to the joy of handgunning.  Don't let em fool you, gun safety with handguns is not any harder to teach than gun safety with rifles or shotguns.  I teach 4-H Pistol and the little guys as young as 8 do just fine.  After a few sessions one on one to get the safe handling ideas down pat they do just fine.  

I have also found that some who have troubles with long guns take to the handguns fine and vice versa.  All are great places to teach.  As soon as possible get him shooting from the standing position.  Bench work slows the transition, they get to used to the added steadiness of a bench or sandbags.  I am working with a 10 year old boy that can hold the black offhand 80% of the time and a 12 yr old girl that can do the same.   Both of these youths are safer with a handgun than some adults you may see at your local range ;~)

Best of luck and thanks for doing your part to bring this fun sport to another!
Quote from: Matt in AK
:D Wasn't really planning on buying anything at the gun show today....but, there was this beautiful, but very dirty, little Ruger Super Single Six Convertible with the both cyclinders (22 LR and 22 Win Mag) for a pretty decent price ($200).  My son (9 years old) was right there with me...and it just fit his hand like a glove :wink: .    We took it to the range today and it shoots like a dream.  Now he's got his camping, hunting, and fishing gun :grin: