Author Topic: sizing new brass?  (Read 2320 times)

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: sizing new brass?
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2009, 12:07:12 AM »
Every peice of brass that comes into my gun room gets the same treatment , be it new or fired .

1) It goes in a tumbler to clean any gunk

2) Then it gets FL sized

3) Tumbled again

4) Checked for length and trimmed as needed

5) Case mouths chambered

6) Primer pockets & flash holes checked

The amount of time spent on a case will very as to how much it needs BUT they all get the same treatment , that way I get as consistent a round as I can .

stimpy

Thanks Stimpy, This is just as it SHOULD be done!!   AMEN,

Happy Easter guys!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2009, 03:58:36 PM »
Every peice of brass that comes into my gun room gets the same treatment , be it new or fired .

1) It goes in a tumbler to clean any gunk

2) Then it gets FL sized

3) Tumbled again

4) Checked for length and trimmed as needed

5) Case mouths chambered

6) Primer pockets & flash holes checked

The amount of time spent on a case will very as to how much it needs BUT they all get the same treatment , that way I get as consistent a round as I can .

stimpy

Thanks Stimpy, This is just as it SHOULD be done!!   AMEN,

Happy Easter guys!!

CW

+1 AMEN!! After all, we are guiding and teaching...............

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater

Offline helotaxi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2009, 05:56:35 PM »
FL resize (only reason that I really own FL dies).

Trim (too many of the new cases that I've gotten have had necks that weren't square so all get trimmed and thus I always start with all cases the same length).

Chamfer and deburr.

Uniform the flash hole.

Load and shoot.

I have a tumbler but rarely use it.  Unless you're tumbling brass one piece at a time, the brass banging into each other in the tumbler only serves to work harden the necks and shorten case life.

Offline maver

• Take me down at 100 of 500 but not on the dinger
    • Maver
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2009, 02:18:48 AM »
Gentlemen

I was wondering if you know of a safe method of removing unfired primers from 6.5x55 brass.  I have fifty rounds that I want to disassemble so I have a kinetic bullet puller and I can dump / reuse the powder but I wanted to keep the bullets and use them another time in a different rifle.

Is the only option left open to me is fire the rounds????? ???

Its all about the BIG Bang Theory

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2009, 02:44:05 AM »
Maver

You have a few options , one would to pull the bullets , dump the powder and then just pop the primers in the rifle like Blanks , also you can pull the bullets , dump the powder and put some pen. oil in the bottom of the cases to KILL the primers , they will need to soak for a couple days .

lastly , you can just pull the bullets , dump the powder and de-prime as you woild with a fired case , I have been doing thet for years and never had a primer pop , HOW EVER , it can happen so extra care should be taken and always wear Safety Glasses .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline maver

• Take me down at 100 of 500 but not on the dinger
    • Maver
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2009, 02:55:39 AM »
Stimpy

I think the cleanest option from the 3 listed is to pull the bullet dump the powder and fire it like a blank.

thanks

Maver
Its all about the BIG Bang Theory

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2009, 01:47:47 AM »
I have also pushed out unfired primers with out a problem. I make sure I am wearing hearing protection as well as eye protection Just in case there is an accident. I use steady pressure to push them out. Do not see how fast you can push them out. I Have a dedicated de-priming tool I use to push out primers with whether they are spent or live, but you can use a regular die too - adjust the de-priming pin down far enough that the case body does not contact the die. After I push them all out I soak them in a light oil to make sure they are dead before I throw them away. You can always fire them in a gun, but you have to do it outdoors and it takes a while to cycle them all through, but it is safe, just make sure you brush the inside of the necks when you get done to rid it of any primer residue. Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline wncchester

« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2009, 03:47:18 PM »
Primers are detonated by impact, not crushing.   I've not had to remove tons of live primers but have done perhaps several hundred over the last 45 + years, incluidng a good number of crimped in GT primers.  Just ran them through a standard sizer and pushed them out, haven't had one pop yet. 

Well, actually, as a young man I DID pop a few back when I first started using a  Lee Loader.  I pulled down a few hundered GI surplus 30-06 rounds with the first impact puller that came on the market just to remove the corrosive primers.  Had a leather glove on my left hand to hold the decapping rod while hitting it with a mallet.  But that WAS from impact.  And, Lordy, that was a LOONNG time ago!  Sure was glad when my first press, a Lyman Spar-T, and a set of Lyman AA dies arrived, along with a Lyman/Ohaus M-5 scale and Redding Master powder measure.   Memories. 

Anyway, what I's saying is it isn't a disaster even if a primer goes off while pushing it out.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue